Any one have problems at the dentist??wont numb up!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jul 11, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi, I have spent most of the summer trying to get all of the mercury filling out of my mouth,9 total and having a lot of problems with the numbing agents not working even after 8 shots this last friday.My Dentist said they were leaking mercury but I really dont know about that and dont know how she would know that after just taking xrays. but anyway friday she was drilling away and wow hit a nerve and I clamped down on her finger, haha not really funny but it was an automactic response. By the last tooth my mouth was finally numb and then stayed thatway until 9:45 pm that night!My apt was at 2pm.Now I have 3 left to go and Im done. Does anyone else have trouble with the numbing meds not working? i have never had this problem in the past.of course she said it was probabely something to do with my hypersensitivity due to the fibro.also I have heard of some people saying they felt some better after getting the mercury out...anyone?? Thanks and God Bless
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have terrible problems with this. The last time I went I told him to remove the hisatime from injections. problem is the shots wont last as long.

If you try search on here there are many posts about the dentist problems and this is where I learned about the shots.

Mixed feelings on the fillings. I had one removed and didnt notice any difference. are the fillings cracked? The biggest thing is if they use a dam to properly remove them.

take care
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Yes the fillings are cracked , many of them have been in as long as 30 years or longer. The dentist isnt using any eppy as ive had 2 pretty bad reactions to this in the last couple years. weird because all my life Ive never had any problems with the dentiist or reactions to the drugs. its very scarey now to go to the dentist or the dr and wonder if when they inject me if Im going to react. usually my blood pressures and pulse rise sky high and I just feel shakey and horrible and thats when a dr who was removing a mole from my face said I was having a reaction to the eppy and not to have it anymore. The dentist im using doesnt use a damn but a high powered suction deviice. when I questioned her about it she said that it was safe but i sure do wonder. thanks for the replys everyone sorry im not up to answering each one seperately today. God Bless
  4. Supermami

Supermami New Member

I always explain that I have a problem numbing up.
    Some dentists are just better than others at judging where the sites are in your mouth to numb properly.
    I have a dentist now that knows it takes me longer to get the full effect and that it sometimes takes more than one go. He is patient with me.
    It always seems to take forever for it to go away once it does take. The anesthetic took more than six hours to go away. I was numb up to my eye to under the jawline.

(For some reason this reminded me about getting my eyes dialated, and how the pupils got bigger than my husband's and it lasted twice as long.)

As far as mercury fillings go, I will eventually get rid of all mine. I, too, would love to hear if anyone had a relief of symptoms after getting rid of mercury amalgam fillings.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2010]
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I've had this problem over several decades. Here is what I've learned, through personal research & observation.

First thing: dentists vary in their skill level for giving injections that successfully achieve analgesia. Many do only one or two "types" of injections, whereas others have broader skill & can do deeper/more complex injections.

Hint: I've found that the best oral surgeon in my community was a great source for a referral to a highly skilled dentist. You want to go to the dentist that other dentists "go to" for their own dental work.

Second thing: some dentists stock only one or two anesthetic agents, but individuals may react better/worse to one or the other. Don't believe it when they say the anesthetics all work virtually the same. -- that may be the case for the average dental patient, but is NOT my experience as a hard-to-number. You may do better with one of the newer agents like Articane, instead of plain old lidocaine/novo.

Epinephrine (aka "epi") constricts blood vessels & helps the numbing effect, but it can also SLOW the onset of the numbing, and not everyone tolerates it. Raises BP & heart rate, can cause nausea, esp. if you are getting *extra* doses. I once was asked to sign a waiver when I was being given my 7th injection for work on one site, due to the effect the epi was having on my heart rate. Since then I've learned that you can ck before hand & make sure your doc stocks both + & - epi meds. No reason to OD on epi after a certain point.

Third point: I've found that when my free T3 (specific thyroid hormone) is low, it is very, very difficult to get numb. I'm still a tough number when in-range (I can't get out of the basement with my T3), but it is much more doable. The biological reason for this relates to a compound called Substance P, which is sort of like an "amplifier" for pain signals. One of the main dampers of Sub P is free T3; when free T3 is low, Sub P rules & pain abounds.

Fourth point: GABA/glutamate balance affects pain transmission. GABA is inhibitory, glutamate is excitatory for pain signals. There are meds that function as GABA agonists, & there is GABA itself available as a supplement. Glutamate has MULTIPLE dietary sources, and these can be controlled prior to dental work.

Last point: endorphins rule. Anything you can do to boost your own endorphins prior to your appt. will help reduce your pain level.

Good luck, folks.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2010]
  6. Jayna

Jayna New Member

I learned this after my recent bout of filling-replacement: if your body is even slightly on the 'acid' side of the scale instead of properly pH balanced, the injections are less effective.

I'm trying an alkaline diet and extra calcium/magnesium for a few days before my next set of appointments.