Any one using cortisol/cortate wearing a medical bracelet???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly8, Sep 24, 2006.

1. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I am taking cortate/cortisol for cfs. I started with a very small dose and am now on about 1.5-2 mg a day and intend to gradually increase the dose to about 10 mgs by mid 2007. (I have chemical sensititives and have to do things very slowly.)

Someone suggested that I get and wear a medical bracelet with this info on it in case I have an accident etc., and am unable to tell the emergency/doctors that I should have this medicine daily.

Is this an over-reaction?? Do other people taking cortisol wear these type of bracelets?
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I wonder about this stuff, too...I now have leukemia, and I don't have a medical bracelet. I don't take meds for it now that chemo's done, but should I have a bracelet with my blood type, at least, and what type of leukemia I have? I don't know what the protocol would be here...

I've never taken cortisol, so I don't know much about it. Probably any one with a regular, daily medication that they need should have that info somewhere, if not on a bracelet, maybe in your wallet.

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. sdown

sdown New Member

Hi, I have a bracelet. I'll admit I don't wear it most of the time but if Im feeling really bad & I go out I feel more reassured that if something happens to me a paramedic, nurse or doctor will be able to read the info. Ive listed my condition as Addison's Disease on the bracelet and that I take cortef. Also mentioned Im anemic.
  4. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

I am wondering who prescribed the cortisol? It seems a bit irresponsible for a doctor to prescribe it and not inform the patient of the implications when taking this drug.

I have been taking cortisol for over 50 years (for an adrenal condition) and yes, I definitely have a bracelet. My endocrinologist asks to see it every time I have an appointment just to make sure I am wearing it.

I cannot imagine taking cortisol without close supervision such as periodic blood tests etc.

No, you do not need blood type on a medical bracelet. It is useless information because blood is always typed on freshly drawn samples.

I worked in a blood bank for many years and know that cards with blood type carried by some people is of value only to them.

Gwen

5. mary124

mary124 New Member

I wear a bracelet, as I had heart surgery a few years ago and I take coumadin (heart thinning medication) plus a few other medicines.
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, butterfly,

May I ask why you are planning on taking so much cortisol in the future? I thought that people with CFS only need a physiologic dose, which is 1-2 mg (or at least no more than 5 mg) generally.

I hope you're not going to overdose on it. (This is just my opinion, though.)

I wasn't aware of the need to wear a medical alert bracelet for taking cortisol. Wow.

What about carrying a card in your wallet that lists your hormone dosages? I should really do that.

Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2006]
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Thank you for clarifying the uselessness of having blood type on a bracelet.

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Thanks for the replies - to answer a couple of the question:

I may not need to take as much as 10mgs if saliva tests and blood tests show that my cortisol level has risen sufficiently. At the moment, however, the levels are extremely low. Once the levels are OK then the doc. plans to start me on low thyroid med. However, at the moment the levels are too low for me to tolerate any such med.

The doc. has said that the amount of cortisol I am currently taking is so low that a medical bracelet is not yet needed: but I tend to be a worrier.
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oh good, then I wouldn't have needed a medical alert bracelet, either, since I was only taking less than 1/100 mg of cortisol. (I'm very sensitive to hormones.)

I would suggest increasing your dose very, very slowly, even though it takes patience. Cortisol is powerful stuff.

The most sensitive barometer you have for your cortisol level is your facial skin. Watch for signs of new or unusual acne. That's usually your first sign that you are overdosing.

If you keep overdosing after that, you may start to grow facial hair, lose scalp hair, or develop other symptoms like weight gain in the abdomen, irritable mood, etc. I hope you've read up on all the overdose symptoms.

Having said all that, I wish you the best and I think that it will do great things for you if you take just enough to make you feel good, but not too much!

It was wonderful for me in terms of energy. Without it, I felt half dead. And now, I apparently am getting well enough that I don't need it any more! woo hoo!

Love,
    Forebearance
  10. lascot

lascot New Member

hi butterfly,

i have always understood from my endocrinologist and pdoc that taking cortisone makes the body stop manufacturing cortisol, it's own natural cortizone. this is one of the reasons one has to wean off it if you stop taking it. i was surprised to see the numbe of posts from people taking this med.

wondering, linda
  11. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Yes, you are right.

When a person starts taking cortisol, their own adrenals slow down and rest and may even turn off. When/if the person starts again, they have to start slowly by reducing the cortisol tablets to see if/ensure that the adrenals start up again.

In my case, my adrenals - for some reason - have already almost shut down as was shown by the saliva cortisol tests results. So, theoretically, taking cortisol will send the adrenals to the rest home to recover and then they should/may be able to start up again in 6 -12 months or whenever.
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I thought, from what I've read, that if you take cortisol in physiologic doses, instead of the huge doses normally prescribed by endocrinologists, that it won't turn off your own adrenals' production.

Forebearance
  13. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have read that too - but I have also been told that even the slightest doses can have the same effect. If even the experts don't seem to agree, how can we mere mortals know???
  14. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oh great! How, indeed.

Forebearance