Any OTC AntiHistines that don't cause Fatigue or sleepy...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Sep 22, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

I'm having problems with Fall allergies and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a antihistamine that won't make me more tired or fatigued?

Thanks.
  2. Hippen

Hippen New Member

I like Tylenol Allergy sinus...works for me. Hippen
  3. sk8ter

sk8ter New Member

I have used Claritan for years with no side affects. I am very sensitive to drugs and this does not effect my heart or anything. I use it for chemical allergies too.
    Wendy
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So far the only OTC I can take is Tylenol Sinus, they do not make me sleep or give me that 'racing feeling' either. I can even take the Tylenol Sinus PM in the daytime with no reaction, or sleepiness :) (I only need to take one capsule and it helps).

I tried the Tylenol Allergy but it made me jumpy, with a racing heart feeling.

We are all so different with any kind of meds...........

Shalom,Shirl
  5. Frackie11382

Frackie11382 New Member

Hi,

I used to take claritin-D 24 hour by rx, but now that it's OTC I don't take it anymore. My insurance pays a lot on others and it's cheaper than buying a box every couple of weeks. However, I loved the Claritin...I never had a reaction to it at all. It helped keep me decongested (D), and never made me tired or excitable. It might be worth a try.

Also, you might want to try Benadryl Allergy/Sinus...it worked pretty well for me for a while. I never got drowsy from it like I did with the regular Benadryl.

Friendsin Fibro,

~~Tara~~
  6. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

works great for me and my sister.

Lisa
  7. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

I take Alavert. Same thing as Claritin but cheaper. It doesn't make you sleepy or hyper like some of the other OTC allergy meds do.

Bob
  8. libra55

libra55 New Member

My daughter uses Tavist, in the blue and white box. There are different types of it. She says it does not make her drowsy. Tavist used to be a prescription only, now it is OTC.

Good Luck,
    Michelle
  9. LaurieEm

LaurieEm New Member

Love it in effectiveness! You spray it up your nose. It builds up in effect over time. For some it takes many days. For me at least 2 or 3 days.

Also, Xlear, which I believe is available here at immunesupport, is amazing for the stuffy nose clearing. It is not a drug, so you can use it as often as you like. I use it every night before bed.

I guess I'd say, before exposure, Nasalcrom, and after exposure, Xlear. You'll never have trouble distinguishing them when they dribble down your throat, as Nasalcrom is very bitter and Xlear is sweet.
  10. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Claritin is the most effective allergy med that provides relief of most allergy symptoms. It's drug is called Loratadine. I just saw yesterday that Walgreens offers a 100 count bottle for $30. That is a great deal if you find that it works for you. Walmart also offers this med for a good value too.
  11. JHG

JHG New Member

Claridin-D is OTC and works well for me.
    Good luck, Joyce
  12. Juloo

Juloo Member

Used it on prescription and also now that it is OTC.
  13. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Zyrtec is one of the best, ive been told better than claritin - helps me more than any of the others do too. dont know if thats what its called over there, but the drug name is cetirizine hydrochloride.

Chris