Any Possitive Hysterectomy stories to share?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Sep 19, 2005.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi ladies~
    Just hoping/looking for some input on anything (hopefully) GOOD about having a hysterectomy.
    I'm sceduled for one in late Oct.
    Scared to have one cause I'm just skeptical that it's gonna end my trouble of Endometriosis.
    But my disease is extensive,..and I'm running out of other options.
    I've tried them all,... BC,Shots,Lupron,a few Lap. surgerys over the yrs. and I'm having alot of pelvic,bladder,ovary,bowel pain,tailbone/butt.
    My Gyno says he highly recommends it for my case~

Just nervous about the whole thing,..including recovery and HRT??
    Can anyone give me hope?? Did things get any better for you after a hyster? in that area.
    I don't mean Fibro or CF,..... I think thats with me for life!
    :)
    (suspects adeynomyosis too)
    Hugs/Thanks a great deal
    Tandy
  2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Tandy:

I had severe endometriosis for many years, was given drugs and operted twice to see if I could have children, I never could.

After having enough of the pain and in between month bleeding my doc suggested a complete histerectomy and I agreed. The recovery was about three months for me. You do have to take it easy but you won't have much pain after the first two or three days and the hospital gives you something for it.

I was soooooooooo happy to get rid of the pain and discomfort from the endo and best of all NO MORE PERIODS !!!. That was so good.

Now what I kind of regret is that I took out my ovaries too and went into a severe surgical menopause. I couldn't believe that the next day after the operation I was sweating bullets and couldn't sleep. I did'nt want to take estrogen because I had seen so many women who gained alot of weight and their breasts got really big. Eventhough not everyone is the same. There are skinny menopausal women.

Anyway I didn't want to take the estrogen for the first six months. It was very hard for me. I couldn't sleep, I had hot flashes all day long, I was cranky and depressed.

I finally had to take the estro cause I was so miserable, so I started with Premarin, then Estratest, then Cenestin. I took it for 10 years, gained 30 pounds and am now a 38D, but that is also due to the fact that FM and CFS doesn't let me excercise as I wish I could, even walking at times isa challenge.

Now I am over the menopause, no more hormones and at least as far as that area of my body, I feel wonderful.

So don't be afraid hon, you will feel like a new person once you take care of that problem.

I will pray for an excellent outcome and for a speedy recovery. Please let me know how it went.

Tender hugs,
    Francey

[This Message was Edited on 09/19/2005]
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I didn't have endometriosis, but I had a horrid hormonal imbalance for about 15 years, and in the later stages, I ended up having 2 periods a month, which was not a good thing. The PMS alone was unreal!

I, too, had gone through the Lupron shots, and knew that they made me feel WAY better than I had been, so I was totally prepared to have the hysterectomy, as far as hormonally.

I, personally feel it was one of the best things I ever did for myself! I lost about 25 pounds, got on a good exercise program, regained my sexuality, and really started feeling good about myself for the first time in a very long time!!

I have been using the vivelle patch since day one, and have never had a problem with it at all. In the beginning, I would know when it was time to change it-I'd get headaches-or if it fell off, I'd start feeling crummy, too. But now, I'm down to a very low dose, and still feeling great in that department!

At least that's ONE thing I have no problems with! Good luck. Mine ended up being an abdominal hysterectomy, complete with ovaries, so I was out for six weeks. I would get worn out easily, but felt pretty good for the most part, and not in a whole lot of pain that I can remember.

I actually helped my daughter plan her wedding during that time, so I know it didn't knock me completely down. Take care and let us know how things go! PG
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I can think of nothing but positives to tell you about when I had mine and the difference it made in my life. I too had so many physical problems and tried to resolve them other than surgery. However, I ended up having a total, as everything was so involved. I was 47 (I think). After the surgery experience was over and I was healed, I felt soooo good! No more abdominal pain/cramps, no more excessive bleeding and having to change sheets almost daily, etc. etc., etc.

The best thing, my husband thinks, is that he no longer had to go to the store for pads! LOL :<) I guess he became somewhat embarrassed at the frequency of trips and amounts of supplies.

I'll have warm thoughts and wishes as well as prayer for you during this time and through it all. When in Oct are you scheduled? We'll put you on the prayer list as well. Take care.

Hugs, Jeannette
  5. revlcb

revlcb New Member

I had my hyst. at the age of 28...wow, almost 20 years ago. I have never regretted my decision. Too many painful memories.
  6. ladyfishme

ladyfishme New Member

I had a hysterectomy over twenty years ago. No problems feeling great. I was able to keep a ovary. I tell everyone if you can keep a ovary do it.
    Good Luck
    Kim
  7. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

Glad I had hysterectomy -had endo, adeno, fibroids, one ovary split in half. Wanted to keep both ovaries but could only keep one. Try to keep ovaries if possible-makes a big difference.
    Am taking lots of estrogen and compounded testosterone cream. Very helpful - could not manage without them, espec. with the cifids. Very glad to have had the surgery as I no longer feel toxic and got rid of some of the problems from excess bleeding and migraines. Some women do okay after awhile without estrogen but some do not. If you need it go with a natural brand like climara. The compounded tabs are not as strong and may be okay for you but for myself they are not sufficient. Lastly, you may have to trade off a few problems but hopefully it will be worth it.

If you prepare your bedside at home for all possible needs it can be very helpful. I had tiny spray bottles with 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50% water, plus gauze and antibiotic ointment for cleansing incision sites. Also had aloe gell (a huge help) for episiotomy that I had to have, yeast infect.creams, plus cranberry caps for any urinary tract infect that might arise. Plastic cups and bottles of H2o can be helpful as well.
    Wish you luck.
    ruby
  8. gravitychallenged

gravitychallenged New Member

Like you, after many, many years and all sorts of treatments for endometriosis and then having my mother diagnosed with fallopian tube cancer, I had a full hysterectormy. The recovery period was 3-4 months as the surgery put me into a major flare, but i'd do it agin tomorrow!

I had to wait 6 months before going on HRT to make sure that all the endo was gone. I did go into surgical menopause and the worst symptom I got was hot flashes although they didn't come that frequently. Once I started on Premarin, the hot flashes disappeared. I only took the Premarin for 4 years as my menopausal symptoms had gone and there was breast cancer in the family.

I felt so much better after my recovery was over. No MORE ENDO PAIN. And of course, no more periods, no more PMS, bloating, moodiness, etc.
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am very glad I had my hysterectomy. I was anemic, unterus full of fibroids, I was crabby all the time. I had a total hysterectomy because they said my ovories weren`t putting out barely any estrogen or progestrion anyway.

After the surgery I was on the Estraderm patch for about 3 years. Now I take bio-indentical estrogen and I feel great on it. I am no longer crabby all the time and have been really mellow since the surgery. Just because you keep the overies doesn`t mean they are working. They are a cancer risk also.
  10. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

Hi Tandy,

I had a total hysterectomy for Endometriosis in my late 30's. (I'm 54 now). My bowel was glued to my uterus from it and I would have lost my bowel function if I had not had the surgery.

I had both ovaries removed as well. The recovery was not too bad, as I recall. I did start hormones immediately while still in the hospital. I am now on the Vivelle patch at the lowest dose and find it to be the best of all of them.

I wouldn't go "cold turkey" on the hormones. It is pretty miserable. I tried to stop a year ago at the suggestion of my PC and it was bad. Among other things it significantly increased arthritis in me which, according to my Rheumatologist, is common. He was a little upset that she had taken me off.

If you have your ovaries taken out you will only need to use Estrogen and the studies which showed a problem were on the combination formula. (Not that Estrogen is totally innocent, but I have just found the benefits to outweigh the negative for me.)

I had no negative sexual side effects from the surgery. All it did was make me better healthwise.

Best wishes to you and rest up well afterwards. Have things set up ahead of time for help so you can be waited on! I found myself up and around pretty darn fast, which is good, but you will tire easily. It takes a while to recover. Also, follow your doctor's advice on reducing scar tissue.

Nancy
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

I needed to read these posts today~
    I feel so much better after seeing your replys on this.
    I am scared,...its major surgery !!
    all the 'what ifs' keep playing in my head.
    What if I still have pain,..(from endo) what if I lose sexual feelings,etc...
    What if the menopause is hell!!
    But ya know something,..? I wnt to bed early last night because of severe pelvic,and back,butt pain.
    I'm soooooooooo tired of this.
    Its getting to where I have BAD endo pain for 22 days a month! never a dull moment between Fibro and endo.
    Its so bad,that I don't wanna live this way anymore.
    I have a 9 yr old that needs mothering and most of the times I can't even help him at anything!
    I feel horrible for all he's missed of me.
    At least my other 2 grown kids had the semi-healthy Mom.

Thank you all for sharing your possitives with me :)
    My surgery is suppose to be the 20th of Oct.
    The office will call me today or tomorrow with exacts,and pre-op info.
    If I cancel out on the Hyster. the doc said he would be willing to just do a clean up Laproscope mini surgery instead. It might buy me 2 yrs??
    whats the sense,right?
    Hugs
    Tandy
  12. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

As you know, I, too, have endometriosis but have not gone the hysterectomy route. My gynecologist says my endo is at a stage 1. I have more problems with the FMS than endo.

I know you have had so much pain and I really hope this helps you. I can understand your anxiety about this. I am sure that all the positive responses has given you the encouragement you need. I do remember my sister having surgery for endometriosis years ago. Her recovery time was relatively short and she has not had any further problems that I know of.

Ellen