Any Project Runway Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I haven't been a hard-core fan but this season, I've started watching. Last night may have literally been my last night for watching the show. Poor Michael C. I felt so sorry for him and feel he was robbed. Gretchen has zero talent and her clothes are worse than gross. I just went to the PR message boards and everyone is up in arms over this injustice. I only hope some designer recognizes Michael's talents and takes him on as an apprentice.

I haven't been here in a long time but I do pop in from time to time. Since retiring, I've had one thing after another. Right now, I'm recovering from a month-long sinus infection. Oy! It's getting better but I'm exhausted. At least now that I'm retired, I don't have to worry about going to work when I just want to crawl into bed.

Hope everyone is doing well. I've always kept y'all in my prayers and continue to pray for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. spacee

spacee Member

A friend with CFS/FM and MCS is pulsing an antiviral and asked me if I knew your email
    addy. Just asked me a couple of days a go. I .

I love Project Runway. Just started watching it this season too. Michael C was so
    courageous when the others were "throwing him under the bus" as the professionals
    were saying. He deserved to be in the finals. Agree with you thoughts about Gretchen

So sorry to hear about your sinus hope it gets better soon.

[This Message was Edited on 10/23/2010]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll drop you an e-mail. It was actually my BP meds which messed up my sleep so badly that I had to retire. I have finally titrated the med down, and added another to it, so that I am getting better, but not really good, sleep. This BP med causes a drop in norepinephrine. At first, it played games with my emotions too but I've adjusted to it at the lower dose. Being so run down from lack of quality sleep, whatever Herpes-Family Virus(es?) I have decided to reactivate, so I was pulsing acyclovir myself. It took about three months. I stayed on them for 10 days and off for two. It took a while before I was able to stay off of them without the symptoms' returning.

Now, I'm finishing up my third round of ABX and am currently Herxing, so I know they're working. We had to change ABX as the first on stopped working. I finally decided to use Nasacort and Sudafed. The Sudafed isn't good for my BP but it isn't increasing it enough for me to give up the Sudafed until this clears up. Seems as though we are always having to pick the lesser of two evils in our treatment.

Are you still on transfer factors? I haven't had to take them since I first did them but if these infections keep up, I'll consider going back to them. I take Nattokinase with vitamin E to keep the fibrin down in my blood. The doc checks my sed rate every year and it's good. Also, I no longer bruise so easily and bleed profusely if I get cut. All good signs.

It's so good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

LOL when I first read the title of this post, I thought it said "Project Runaway" ... was wondering if it was people running away from their lives... caught my interest!

I've watched the show off and on, tho rarely do I get first season of most things, and they don't usually post which season they're showing.... I think the only shows I've noted that were timely were The Soup and America's Got Talent, tho a week delayed. At least Desperate Housewives does haha. (It's one season behind, which is fine with me...)

Sorry you've had a rough time. I don't think age is helping any of us, in general.... hope you stay well, and have avoided any red tides this year. AND hurricanes! Hope you stick around, things have been quieter in general happily ;)

5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad to see you poppin for a spell :)!! Sorry youhad to retiredd due to the mess your b/p meds made of or for you. I take b/p meds to and have very hi b/p if not on anything. So, it is a challenge even on meds. It likes to spike and do all sorts of crazy things even when I am not uposet - really. My body stinks at this point !

Victoria - you are right about age surely not helping. Just had another BIG birthday last weekend. So, I am trying to forget about that and our bodies falling apart little by little :)!!

I can't comment much on the TV shows either, like Jam. To me, so many of the shows are so dumb . That is what happens when you get older :) !!! I do like Dancing with the Stars but I can't watch it due to choral practice. Any time I do find a normal show I am not able to watch it for one reason or another. I like some of the cooking shows, not that I cook alot of fancy meals but I still do cook , or we would starve !! It surely wouldnpt bother me if someone else came and cooked for me.

Stay well or get well Mikie and come back often.

Gotta run for now.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I'm so sorry your hip replacement has been so rough. I think a lot of times, surgery is very difficult and painful for us due to our other conditions. Nanna just had her gallbladder taken out and she has been in a lot of pain. Take good care of yourself.

Diane, sorry to hear about the flu. It can take forever for it to clear up. I always worried when I worked about getting stuff from our customers and coworkers. Of course, one can get sick just about anywhere but I think people working are exposed to a lot. My grandson, Andy, started kindergarten this year and he brings home a lot from school and the whole family gets sick. I hope you are feeling better.

Victoria, are you still in Mexico? How is that going? I think of you whenever the hurricanes head that way. We've been lucky so far here--no hurricanes and no red tide. Our weather cooled off a bit but is back up almost to 90 during the days. I'll be glad when it cools down for the season. Speaking of "Season," the Snowbirds have already started to arrive. I'm noticing the roads are more congested. Our economy is picking up in general but very slowly. Drop me a line when you feel like it. If you don't have my e-address, Nanna does. I sure hope she starts to feel better. Have you been to Athens lately? Just found out my eye doc went to the Univ. of GA. Small world.

Granni, Happy Birthday even though they can remind us we are getting older. It's hard for me to tell now how many of my problems are due to age and how many to my illnesses. For the most part, I've managed the illnesses pretty well. I feel lucky to have recovered enough to have worked 2 1/2 yrs. It was a benchmark in my recovery. High BP runs in our family, so that is a product of age and genetics. We have histories of heart attacks so there is no question that I have to control the BP. The problem I had was with the side effects. I went through four until we found one I could halfway tolerate. It reduces norepinephrine, which messes with one's emotions and sleep. We finally reduced the dose by 2/3 and now, I am getting better, but not great, sleep. At least, the BP is under control. We've added Cozaar at night. It has no side effects but helps the other drug to be more effective. In studies, it reduced heart attacks and strokes by 16 percent. I like that.

Well, my dear friends, it's wonderful to be here talking with y'all. Now that I'm not working, perhaps I can get here more often. I hope so.

Love, Mikie

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad you are not in as much pain as I had pictured. I have osteopenia in my left hip and it has been painful for years. Don't think there is a connection between OP and pain. I've had pain in that hip since my 20's. There is no OA, though.

I hope your back is better. Mine is not as painful as when I was working, standing for hours. I have one of those inversion tables and it really helps to take the pressure off the spine.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Love, Mikie

LEFTYGG Member

so good to see you.i always respected your knowledge of these illnesses. someday id like to meet you we have a condo in ft myers well really n ft myers. hopefully my dh will retire in 2 yrs and we will be snowbirds. cant wait i love to swim in a heated pool.

hope you get well soon.

speaking of designers my niece designs for american eagle she was working for abercrombie and fitch for 13 yrs. she designs for aeerie a part of american eagle. well ive talk your ear off bye love gail.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'd love to meet you too. Let me know when you're coming and we'll figure out a way to get together. I don't live in Ft. Myers proper either. I'm south of town down toward where Summerlin takes a turn to the West.

Funny thing you mention heated pools. We learned from our mgr. yesterday that a lot of the condo assns. are not going to heat their pools this winter because they don't have the funds. We are in good financial condition but if there is a weather forecast for a string of days in the 50's or lower, we won't keep our heat turned up as high as we normally do. Last year was colder than normal and it cost an arm and a leg to keep the pool heated when it was really too cold to swim anyway.

Sounds as though your niece has a very creative job. I especially love those kinds of clothes. I'm originally from CO and we lived in clothes we could wear at home, out shopping or on a mountain trek. Down here, about all I need are tee shirts, shorts, Capris and flip flops. Well, that and swimwear. I'm not a high-fashion person; I look better in basics.

Great "talking" with you. Don't forget to let me know when your coming. Post a new entry with my name on it and I'll try to get here more often.

Love, Mikie
  10. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Having had the misfortune of working w Gunn (2.5 decades ago, prior to his really really biiig coming out) the show gives me the creeps.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

He seems to be the one everyone loves. I'm sorry your experience leaves you feeling creepy. Personally, I find Michael Kors and that woman from "Marie Claire" snippy and cold. They are all supposed to be the experts but some of the things they wear, including Heidi, say otherwise as do their comments on some of the designs and designers. Oh well, no reality show is real in any sense of the word.

Love, Mikie
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I didn't even watch the finale, I was so disgusted when they booted Michael and kept, as you say, "Nasty Gretchen." I've noticed that in many of the "reality" shows, they will keep a troublemaker around for ratings--someone the fans love to hate. It's happened on "Survivor" and "The Apprentice" too. If they were truly reality shows, those people would have been gone long ago. It's like watching wrestling, not real but entertaining. Hmmmmm, also like some cable news shows, but I digress...

Love, Mikie
  13. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

you were talking about, I have never seen. When is it on?

I enjoy watching HGTV, the shows shopping for new homes, especially the international programs....I love seeing the homes in different countries, learning how other folks live. Some are eye openers.

Jamin: Good for you to have such a good outcome from your surgery.

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"Project Runway" is on the Lifetime channel. I don't even remember how I started watching it--probably this summer when nothing else was on. I likely stumbled on it when channel surfing. Heidi Klume, the supermodel, and several guests judge outfits designed under pressure by wannabe fashion designers. Tim Gunn kinda runs around and keeps things moving with the designers.

I looooove HGTV. I have learned so much by watching the shows where they redesign homes or do some decorating on the cheap. There are a couple of the shows, however, that I think produce hideous results and some where the quality of the work is awful. On Sunday mornings, there are a couple of shows where they take on redos on CBS just before the CBS Sunday Morning News Show, my favorite. Those guys know their stuff! Of course, living in a condo, I will never do some of the larger jobs but a lot of what they do can be applied to smaller projects. Like I mentioned before, though, I think my project days are over. I'm out of money and out of energy :)

Love, Mikie