Any Puppy House breaking tips??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Feb 21, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I've tried everything!!!!!! Just wondering if any Pet owners Have any tips? Here's what i've tried,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Regular Food and water time,,,and out after naps ,Play , Etc! Kennel training, NOt letting him watch me clean up the mess,,,,it's about Half and 'Half now as far as catching him in the act!,,,,,,i Have read and tried every avenue to no avail! We go outside to the same spot at least Q 1 hour!,,,,,,,,,,,,Help,,Lol,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

bathroom when I went out. Then let them outside as soon as I got home. But they were adults when I got them, not puppies.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Great advice!!! That's how I do it and I'll be doing it again starting next Friday.

Also, do not give your pup run of the house until they are completely potty trained and trustworthy. Close doors to bedrooms and other rooms and just leave the pup a small area to get used to at first.

Pups will go to someplace far away from their play and eating area to do their business and it just might be your bedroom floor at first.

Most pups aren't really reliable or capable of holding it much until at least 14 weeks of age, so this is important too.

I'll also be using a puppy pad by my back door in case I'm a little slow at getting the pup up and out when she shows signs of having to go.

I also have bells hung on the door we'll be using so I can teach her to ring the bells with her paw as we go out the door so she can let me know when it's time.

For me, I've had the pup's crate in my living room for weeks now so my dog and cat can get used to it. Also the food dish.

Nancy B

You can also pick up the puppy's accident and place it in the yard where you want the pup to go. The scent plays a big part in potty training.

Clean all accident areas completely! Very important...

And one more thing.....any ideas on how to separate a portion of my pup's big crate while she's little? Pups have been known to use the back of the crate if it's too big and if they need to go bad enough.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi. I've been down the road that you are now traveling.

1. There are puppy training pads. I got the ones with the 2X scent on them. (I think they were called Simple Solutions). That way, if you have the puppy out of the crate and he suddenly needs to pee, he will go on the pad. I put the pad on a small vinyl table cloth on the floor. Sometimes, the nose is over the pad, and the hind end is still not on the pad!

Just thought of something else. My puppy went bonkers with a different brand of puppy training pads that supposedly smelled like grass. She rolled on the pad, rubbed her face on the pad, ran around the kitchen with the pad. She did everything but pee on the grass scented pad. I threw those out.

2. you MUST spray any area that the puppy pottys on with that urine neutralizer spray that you can get at the pet store. I think that was made by Simple Solutions too. Otherwise, the puppy will go back to that spot and pee again.

3. I used the term "potty grass". Then, as soon as the puppy went, I immediately praised and gave her a treat. I repeated, "good gretchen, potty grass" and gave her the treat.

4. When she finally got old enough that she knew better---and peed on the carpet anyway (about 7 months old). I parked her in her crate and placed the crate immediately nest to the area where she peed. I kept her in there while I cleaned up the mess. Then, I let her stay in the crate for a full hour afterwards and ignored her.

i was concerned that this would also teach her to associate the crate with punishment, but it didn't. She got the message and stopped her stunts of peeing on the carpet.

Alot depends upon the age of the puppy. You need to take the water away after a certain time in the evening . What goes in, has to come out the other end!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

I do not care to sleep with pets.....but worse is a dog messing in the house.

My husband takes the dod to bed with him. As dogs do not like to mess where they sleep, they start walking around the bed. My DH got up everytime and took the dog outside.
    Praised the dog each time. What patience and love he gives his dogs.

Last two dogs has NEVER went in the house, nor the bed (LOL). We can leave the dog in the house and been gone a long time, and do not have problems.

With my ME/CF and Fibro.....I can not imagine getting up like this during the night. But it does only take maybe three days.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Any suggestions for me to block off my big crate? I can't figure out what to use for this...

I have the large sized Vari-Kennel.

Nancy B
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

All So very Much for all the tips!! I'm late in answering this due to Training! The puppy is 14 weeks and i adopted him 5 weeks ago!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He's Adorable (Thank goodness)!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Last night was the first time He didn't mess on the floor overnight! couldn't Believe it!!,,,,,,,,,,,The crate i have is a Medium size ,,,,Just a snap togeather model,,,,I've used it several times so far for potty training and when i had to go out for a few hours,

I Need to invest in a larger one! But the time i Have used it he responds fairly well to all the reasons i use it ! His breed is 1/2 Springer Spaniel and 1/2 Border Collie,,,,,,So I Know He will get Big, I
    absolutley close off the Bathroom,,,Bedroom doors andKeep a very close eye on Him at all Times. He's starting to Get the Message Slowly! Dc~~~I will Definetly get the crack Weiners Going ! And will continue the Crate training with the water Bottle! Great Idea!

You all Have Given me such great ideas! I Know He's Worth the effort and Will continue to put all of your ideas to work!! Again Thanks so Much for all the Helpfull tips!
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

When I potty train I don't use treats, just lots and lots of praise. I had a pup learn to squat like she was going and then get her treat. First thing back in the house she would potty on the floor. They can be a lot smarter than I am!

(That particular pup BTW is almost 11 and can be left in the house for up to 12 hours. Good girl!)

Timing is essential. Immediately when they wake up and about 15 minutes after they eat. No playing at potty time until after the "job" is done. I use "go potty" for pee and "do business" for poop. It's amazing that they know the difference! My husband says "go pot"! He just couldn't bring himself to say "good potty"!

I'm pleased to see others stressing the "good potty". We used to all say "good girl" when they did what we wanted. Emphasizing the word you use to get the response you want is very helpful. You might think you sound funny saying "good car", "good sit", etc., but it is a very good practice.

Crate training is the best! We started my golden, Rey, in a crate the day we picked him up from the breeder. He literally went right into the crate for the ride home (3 hours, one stop). I kept a medium sized crate in the car until he out grew it, now (he's 3) he has a "seat belt" in the back seat.

Rey (at 8 weeks) went into the crate when I went to bed at 11:00 (I had to stay up later than I was used to so he wouldn't be in there too long before I got up!). I ignored his whining, barking and scratching until at least 5:00 am. That was really hard but after about the first 3 nights he realized that it wouldn't work and just went to sleep. Never take them out of the crate when they are fussing! They learn really quick what to do to get your attention. Any attention is good attention!

Our older dog, Aster, was not crate trained, however, after we got Rey I taught her to go into it and she started sleeping in it to get away from the puppy! Another thing the crate is good for is if the dog gets sick. Having them contained in the crate makes it much easier to watch them and make sure they get out when they need to.

I have an extra-large crate in my bedroom which is the one Rey started with at home. I used a plastic box turned on it's side to block off the back so he only had room to turn around and lay down. No blanket or soft toy that might soak up urine if he went in the crate. He only went once and I found out where the expression "hang dog" came from!

This is the same pup who would fall asleep with his head in the water dish and then wonder how he got wet!

A major, major training tool is a 4 foot nylon leash. Any time the pup is not in the crate he should be dragging that leash (we call it a drag line). When you have him with you in the living room and he wants to wonder just put the leash under your foot and he will learn to lay down at your feet. Also works great if he tries to hide under the bed, grabs something he shouldn't have or starts to potty on the floor. It's like having a 4 foot extension on your arm.

Our trainer has a doggy daycare and all of the dogs, young and old, wear drag lines at daycare.

We emphasize potty training because that is a really big deal to us. But, the two most important things I teach my dogs are "curb" and "LEAVE IT". Leave it is so important, especially for those of us who take medications. One pill on the floor could be the death of your pup. The drag line is a great tool when you are teaching "leave it".

"Curb" means do not cross that line. I literally draw an imaginary line in front of the dog and say "curb". It means he can go anywhere he wants to on his side of that line. It works great to practice in a doorway. Curb him on the inside of the door and he has the run of the bedroom but can't come out. Mine lay on the otherside of the "line" and wait for me to release them. They are sure something wonderful is happening on my side of that line!

Curb can save your dog's life. Having trained them to curb at the door you might think you are safe. But if they dash out past you anyway the usual words, come, sit, down, here, don't always work. A good stern "CURB" can make them put on the brakes right now!

Wow, I really got into this! I love my dogs and keep them as safe as I can.

Stop and smell the puppies!
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thank you!!! I've been racking my brain trying to find a solution to the large puppy crate problem and you've just solved it for me.

I have plastic boxes downstairs in storage so I'll go down tomorrow and find the one that fits the best.

Nancy B
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Very Helpful advice!! I almost bought one of thoes spendy Books to help Train Lucky! All of your Advice is Very Much appreciated! It's a Very Big challenge for Me to Do this with the FM. But I'm the type of person who Has to Have a challenge of some sort in front of me to stay busy and Sane!!

I'm putting a bell on the Door Knob tonight and also will Definatley start saying Good Potty! Instead of Good Boy! I Haven't Been Taking Treats out with me when He goes But giving him one when we get Back inside,,,,,,,,,,,The"Curb" and " Leave it" commands sound very useful! Timeing is sooo important on the potty training thing,, I agree! He gets distracted alot when were out so i have to make sure He knows why were out there!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks again! P.S. I've come to ther conclusion that it's part phychological! Lolol
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

DNCNFINGERS - You scared me there for a second with the M&M's! Then cracked me up when I realized it was the human kids LOL

I also used treat training when I had blue heelers and border collies. Not for potty training but for "come". They so want to please, but also have quite a mind of their own! Man, one of those little cattle dogs can really fly when they know that come means "COOKIE"!!

Also loved the "little sponges". They are, they learn so much easier when they are little. You can teach an old dog new tricks, it's just much harder! Of course if they are "little sponges" couldn't they just take care of their own accidents!! LOL somemore!

When Rey first came home at 8 weeks we went right to work on training. However, we had a lot of snow that winter and he thought playing in the snow was much more fun then doing the potty thing! I took him out one morning and he pottied but didn't poop. After about 15 minutes I figured he wasn't going to and we went back into the house. I had him in the bedroom with me (I always keep them in sight or crated when potty training). Just as I got completely "neked" for my shower he started to poop! I grabbed him up saying "outside" and ran out into the back yard, in the snow and nothing else! Praise the Lord we live 6 miles out of town and no neighbors for at least a half mile behind the house!! Ah, the joy of parenthood!

You are dead on with the treat thing. Needs to be given ASAP when the desired action has been taken. My golden, who I didn't train with treats until we did agility and rally obedience, learned not only that he should get the treat when he did well, but also what pocket they were in and how to bounce it hard enough with his nose to make some fall out! He has now taught this litte trick to his sister who is 11 and still learning new stuff all the time. Keeps them mentally sharp and happy when they are given new challenges.

HUGS - Make sure if you use a plastic box in the back of the crate that it has the bottom part towards the puppy. It's harder to chew on. Also check it every time you take him out of the crate to make sure he isn't chewing on it and that he can't get a hold of it to chew a piece off. I used a fairly large plastic box with the bottom towards the front.

Hope all this helps you to raise happy, healthy puppies!

I want a Clumber Spaniel next time I get a puppy. Probably won't be able to afford one, but they seem to have about the same amount of energy as I have! They were bred to work with "older gentlemen" (or gentle women even though I don't hunt!) hunters so they work slower and are happy to lay on your feet and snore! Me, too! Well except for the feet part!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm Happy to Report Progress! used the (hot dog) trick yesterday and today and it's working Great! Penny Sliceing is a Great idea Dc! He caught on to that right away! instantly!
    Also i Did the Kennel Thing alot yesterday and that worked so well that i left Him in it overnight and walla. Magic! No Mess ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thankyou all so much for the advice! He's really fun and cute so much company!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Thank you for the kind offer. Not sure I know how to use chat, I've tried it once and couldn't keep up.

Not sure about the time zones either...

Yikes, I'm not much help. Do you have a day that's good for you? I'm hoping to be gone on Thurs and Fri to go to Austria to get the pup.

Nancy B