Any recommend good thyroid and adrenal supplements?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

My legs are really swollen and I think it's my thyroid that's casuing this swelling. I want to get something today. I've tried Miladgren in the past and it was good but wonder if there is something better and stronger? Thanks for any suggestions!!
  2. ulala

ulala New Member

I was looking for the word Drenamin. I remember reading that you took it and were having good results. I think Santa Monica Homeopathic carries Stand Process products.

I was taking Costco's grapeseed extract and really liked it. I ran out and replaced it with Swanson's grapeseed extract, which I am not happy with and rarely take it. I'll have to get some more from Costco

I have been tested and have been on Synthroid. I tired Armour but wasn't crazy about it. I should give it another try. Dr. Holtorf in Torrance had given me T3 which does seem to help a little if I can get the dosage correct. I'm glad that the Armour worked so well for you, as well as the grapeseed extract. What brand do you take?

I’m going to check out the Drenamin and Hypothalamus PMG today. Thanks for helping me!
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process is another good product for the adrenals. I don't know the difference between it and Drenamin.

I take Armour thyroid with no problems.

However, you should read about iodine - here's a link to a very informative article:

My doctor wants me to start taking Iodoral, a potent form of iodine, but it's on the expensive side and I'm checking with him to see if it's okay if I use Lugol's iodine. (do a google search for more info) It's supposed to help soooo many things, in addition to the thyroid.

4. ulala

ulala New Member

jam- Interesting about Swanson's. The USE that I have from them is 60 capsules 100 mg. I don't remember what the dosage was in the Costco USE. Costco's are gel caps which I also like better. Costco also has great prices on CoQ10. I'm going to try the Swanson's USE again.

I went to SM Homeopathic yesterday and ended up getting Thyro Complex by Professional Complimentary Health Formulas at $34.50, All-Basic Advanced Amino Acid Formula $34.78 and MetaStim Liquid by Pacific Health Sciences $17.95. This was all recommended by one of their sales people. Very expensive for me but hopefully it will make a difference. I'm going to try the Armour again also but I already took the Synthroid today.

Mary-I asked the sales person yesterday about the Standard process Drenatrophin PMG and he said he liked the Thyro Complex better because it has thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, spleen, thymus and hypothalamus tissue in it. If this doesn't work then I'll get the Standard Process. I just read your very interesting article on iodine. I think the liquid that I got yesterday has iodine in it, but I'm not sure. I'll have to follow-up tomorrow. If not I'm going to get the drops that you're taking. I'll check the lugol iodine. I'm so happy to have this information because my doctors have never mentioned this! Thank you so much!

Caledonia-My blood pressure is actually low except when I'm stressed, which is often! I watch it carefully and keep it controlled as much as possible.

It sounds like you're very sensitive and need to find a tight balance. It's interesting that you mentioned cleaning off the iodine receptors as they get clogged with chlorides, fluorides and bromides because the article that Mary posted also mentions this. Do you use toothpaste that has fluoride? I often wonder how much gets absorbed into our systems. I'm going to check out the iodine supplements.

I know what you mean about the madness of supplements. So difficult to find what works for each of us!

Thanks all for sharing!
  5. ulala

ulala New Member

I don't really have a good grasp on everything they offer, especially the products and services behind the counter.

I'm very interested in the iodine information. I think my dermatologist gave me iodine several years ago, but I was wary of trying it.

I don't use regular table salt either. My favorite sea sal is Flower of the Ocean. I bought it at Co-Opportunity and after running out bought it on the Internet for half the price of Co-Op. Does sea salt have iodine? I'm following all the posts on iodine. Thanks for all the good info!
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

Ocean Celtic salt. No iodine listed. Do you know the difference between Himalayan and Celtic Sea salt? This salt is a product of France. I think that the Celtic and Himalayan are the best sea salts but I don't know the difference. I've seen pink sal that looks intriguing but don't know anything about that.

Iodized sea salt? That's interesting. I'll try to call one of the salt places tomorrow and find out what's shakin'. Oops!

Did you get out and enjoy the beautiful day today? We are sooo lucky to have this gorgeous weather and the beach and bluff so close.

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hains has a product that is iodized sea salt. I get it at Wal Mart.

8. ulala

ulala New Member

on the iodiozed sea salt from Walmart. I'll have to check that out!

Andrew have you tried the iodione from Standard Process? I can get it around here but don't know the differences in iodine products. There seem to be several products and the price difference is quite steep.

The liquid MetaStim that I bought this weekend is made from herbs that have iodine in them but it's not iodine. Very confusing! Thanks for your help!
  9. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

Yes, the Standard Process is good iodine because it's potassium-free which allows it to regulate the body's potassium levels when it goes in. Lugols and Iodoral both have potassium in it. Standard Process' Prolamine is pretty expensive, but good stuff. I bought a bottle of it off eBay about 6 months ago.

You can also get Detoxified Iodine which is potassium-free for cheap.

Also take AT LEAST 400mcg of selenomethionine a day.

Good Luck

10. ulala

ulala New Member

Standard Process iodine and the fact that potassium-free iodine is better. I've read about the "other" iodines and they seem to advocate that potassium makes the iodine better or better absorbed.

That's a great idea to check E-Bay because the cost of supplements is getting prohibitive. I've never heard of
    selenomethionine, selenium and methionine yes, but not together. If you see this and have a minute can you tell me why to take the two together? Thanks so much!
  11. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

All forms of selenium you injest in your body end up being converted to selenomethionine. But it's much more difficult and the body has to use more energy to convert it to selenomethionine. So why not just take it in the selenomethionine form to begin with? I think there was research done recently also that inorganic forms of selenium (Sodium Selenate etc..) raises the risk of people developing type two diabetes. It also has a poor absorbtion rate compared to selenomethionine

Brazil nuts are selenomethionine, so don't worry. You never hear about people overdosing on Brazil nuts lol. Each nut has anywhere for 60-90mcg of selenomethoionine. You also get cesium, silica and scandium from Brazil nuts as well.

Just find a selenium supplement that says "selenium" on it and see what form of selenium it is on the back label. If it says L-Selenomethionine or Selenomethionine, you're good to go. People have taken 1000mcg of this stuff a day for 20 years without problems.

Good luck
  12. ulala

ulala New Member

selenium. Unfortunately I'm allergic to Brazil nuts, although I love them, so I would have to get the supplement. I have taken selenium in the past and I noticed some improvement in my vision. Anything that helps my vision is a huge plus for me so I will buy some of the
    selenomethionine. If it also helps the thyroid that's a double plus!

jam-yes, it is confusing! I lived in Brentwood, on Bundy, for 9 years. I sold my condo because of multiple problems with mold. Now I live in WLA in a not so good area. I rented an apt. until I could buy another condo. I thought I would be here a short time but it's now been a year. I'm entangled in a lawsuit with the homeowners association where I had the condo.

I love Santa Monica and am looking in Santa Monica and Brentwood for another condo. Palisades Park is one of my FAVORITE places. Once I get down there my body completely relaxes. I also love the area by the SM stairs. I'd like to find a condo with 5 blocks of Palisades par. Living on Ocean Blvd. would be the ultimate but unless the prices come down a lot more that's not an option for me.

You're so lucky to be living in that area. They say that living within 5 blocks of the ocean does something wonderful to you mentally and physically.

Best wishes!

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  13. jsshutt

jsshutt Member

selenium from YEAST and only 200mcg a day, has been proven to lower thyroid antibodies (PubMed)

iodine is necessary for everyone and is mostly absent from our diets. The Gov't adds it to the salt for that very reason (thyroid function)Many have started taking Sea salt and are not getting ANY iodine. Ironically, this leads to more problems.
    Anyone with thyroid issues should be taking Iodine (best out there is Idoral, 2 pills breakfast, 2 pills lunch)

Adrenal support is necessary when treating HYPO-thyroidism. As you treat an under active thyroid (Armour is one of few that is exactly what our body needs) you must treat the adrenal glands as they will burn out firther as your thyroid gets better.
    Cortisol (Isocort is pure form) can be taken 2 pills breakfast, 2 pills lunch, 1 before 4pm.

If you get shaky when you start treating your adrenals, it is not because of the Cortisol, it is because your adrenals are being helped and you may not need as much thyroid supplement as you are used to. Cut down on the thyroid as needed

14. ulala

ulala New Member

I'll have to come back tomorrow and read this. I know that my adrenals are in desperate need of support. Thanks!
  15. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I fins so confusing and so admire all of you that have inverstigated these supplements and this know what you are doing

I have problems reading a paragraph and deciphering it I hope this will change, am so fatigued most of the time just want to hide

angel hugs and blessings to all

16. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

HI Jamin,
    i have recently been put on cortisol & dhea. i havent gotten my iodine tested yet, but even tho i have had my thyroid checked, i still think its deficient.
    i recently purchased iodine supplement,and am about to start it. can u tell me if you supplement Iodine & maybe if it made a difference? thanks, Kat

P.S. I too am pretty fed up with doctors and am trying to take charge a little with my own healing & what i feel my body needs. also what brand of grapeseed do you take? there are so many out there, i have been on it for a few months now.