Any "Retired" Smokers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Mar 17, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I quit smoking again yesterday. I have been going on this merry go round constantly since the beginning of the year! I really need to make this work for myself and my family. I want to be a non-smoker and be healthier. Also, If I do have to break down and have the neck surgery this will help with better healing. Smokers who have neck surgery have a 30% failure rate that the surgery will not work. I'm not going thru a painful surgery not to have the darn thing not work!

I could really use someone who use to smoke to talk with if that is OK?
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I smoked until I became pregnant with my twins (they're 18 now) and up until then had tried several times without success to quit. When I became pregnant, I immediately became physically repulsed by the smell of coffee and cigarettes--my two vices at the time. Sometimes I think the nausea was God's way of telling me what I needed to do!! After I gave birth, I was mildly tempted to return to smoking, but I really didn't want to, and, being married to an avid non-smoker did not make smoking an enjoyable process. Anyway, to avoid going back to smoking, I set up a mason jar and would deposit $2 or so a day into it--the cost of a daily pack of cigarettes back then. At the end of every month I took that money and treated myself to whatever I wanted to buy, whether it was something for myself or for the babies. After a few months, I didn't need to do this any longer and I was so proud of myself for not smoking anymore. It was THE HARDEST thing I've ever done and I encourage you to stick with it any way you can. I absolutely could not deal with fibro too if I had continued to smoke. You may feel a little worse at first, but I guarantee you, you will feel much better in the long run. You will be so proud of yourself and you'll really be able to smell the flowers!! And I can guarantee you, you will recover from your neck surgery much more effectively as a non-smoker. See, doesn't that sound good to you? Monica--a non-smoker!!! Good luck, and if you need any more encouragement or tips, please let me know!!!!!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I admire your determination. As you probably know, (according to what I've read), most people who successfully quit make several attempts.

I quit smoking two years ago. I don't know as my experience will be helpful to you as I was not a nicotine addict; just had a habit.

I was a social smoker. Just smoked at parties or when I played bridge w/ friends. So if it was busy week for playing cards, etc. I would smoke a pack. That's one pack a week.

The only reason I quit was that when I started playing bridge on the computer, I would smoke then too. So I decided it made more sense to quit.

However, since I never smoked much, stopping did not make me feel better or richer or healthier, etc. Anyway there have been posts on this topic over the years. You might try searching to see if you find some prior threads.

Only tip I remember is that pretend smoking w/ a straw, pen, etc. is sometimes helpful.

Good luck

4. ckball

ckball New Member

I haven't smoked in 13 years, smoked on and off for 25 years.

I use to get really bad ashmatic bronchitis and spent many times in the hospital with it.

I was really sick and smoking was making me worse. I threw away a half of pack that week.

Add up how much you spend a YEAR on cigs, that is a big factor when you look at that way. I forget who said they put 2 bucks a day in a jar, that is a great idea.

I use to play in pool leagues in VA and always smoked while playing, that was the hardest part because I was always around it, but I just chewed gum. Still smoke free.

Good luck to you and think of how many purrty flowers you could buy with that money-Carla
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I smoked between the ages of 17 and 27 and quit but took it up again twenty years later because I thought I could be a social smoker like Rock. NOT! Smoked again for nearly 10 years and quit last July. I posted about it. I'll bump thread.

I cut back first then used the straw and it wasn't terrible at all. I go into more detail in old posts.

I even found myself laughing at my crazy addiction thoughts instead of believing them. The craving passes quite quickly if you let it. It also returns fairly quickly in the beginning but it passes again.

As you progress, it comes less often, is less intense, passes faster and stays away longer.

I hope my old posts are of some help.

You can do it!

[This Message was Edited on 03/18/2008]
  6. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Ended my 30 year smoking habit of two packs a day... I quit cold turkey. Bought bags and bags of lemon head candies and carried them everywhere with me for two weeks. Never took one more puff but I did stay away from places that I knew would tempt me to light up.

My whole house needed fumigating when I got my 'nose' back. Even my purse stunk to high heaven. When you're a smoker you have no idea how badly you smell! My hubby quit 6 months later.

I'm driving my cigarette habit now, my anniversary edition Mustang... money MUCH better spent!

Hang in there, you CAN do it!!
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Smoking like a chimney..need to quit

Lots of great advice plus my journey from 3 weeks post to 4 mo. Now 7, 8 months in... not sure, so over it.

And, smell delicious!

8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I am a smoker. Been smoking since I was 18. I never felt until recently like I wanted to quit. I enjoy it. But now, with this big ugly birthday looming on the horizon, I think more about my own mortality. I took a test online that predicts how long you will live, according to your lifestyle. It told me I would not live to 50. I've got only 3 days left!!!!!

My brother was a smoker, he tried to quit several times, but never successfully. Then one day, he heard a voice in his head, and it said, "Stop smoking... now." It had a mildly authoritative tone about it, without sounding aggressive. Just like it was straightforwardly instructing him to stop, now. So he stopped, right then. Never slipped, never smoked again.

Who was that voice? Where's MINE?

It was discovered shortly after that, that his wife had lung cancer. (She had quit smoking 10 years before.) Maybe this voice knew that my brother would need to be smoke free to help her through her ordeal.

Monica, you too have a medical reason to quit. Focus on that. You have both the desire to quit, and a need to quit. All you need is a voice. Allow me...

9. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I just quit last May after smoking for over 30 years. I smoked maybe a pack a day and had planned to quit several times over the last few years, but kept putting it off.

It's not easy. And, after almost a year, I would happily light up. I've talked to several friends who quit, and they too, still miss it even after many years.

Though I also have a friend who smoked 3 packs a day for over 30 years, never cared who she offended with smoking and lit up anywhere, anytime. Now she is a fanatic and freaks if anyone lights up within a mile of her.

Best of luck! It's a difficult thing to do, but well worth it!! Feel free to ask any questions or if you need support!
  10. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

it,s been 10 yrs since my husband and I quit.
    I had been telling myself for almost a year that I could stop smoking.and my husband said when they got to 2 dollars a pack he would quit.
    well i caught a terrible flu and could"t stand the smell of smoke .so I ask my hubby to smoke outside.he had 2 left in a pack and he came in and told me he was done smoking,well I was so sick I just shrugged it off.but after a week and he was not smoking I had to not go back to smoking,thats been over 10 yrs ago and I new it was a miracle from God that we where both able to stop.
    I still have my trophy pack with only 2 missing, in my dresser,to remind me how faithful God is.I"d been praying for the courage to stop and he help me.
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

My long reply to your Post dissapeared to the Cyber Black

Hole. Anyway I quit 4 yrs. ago this June 6th, D-Day so

I'd remember in a dramatic way. It can still be a "battle"

if I let it. But I've not even had a puff since. Studies

confirm my observations that "raw turkey" shows the most

success long term. I think all the substitutes including

candy, nicotine gum and patches are just a reminder that

one is a "smoker"! Ya gotta WHAT to quit or it just doesn't

work! (I just couldn't "HACK IT" any longer).

[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2008]
  12. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Been quitting for years...LOL

Backed into a corner now financially - it was the cigs or the supplements.

I've been using the inhalators for just over three weeks now and I'm still smoke free.

One day at a time...

Happy to be a quit buddy if you need one 8>)

Love Bunchy x
  13. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I quit cold turkey over 5 yrs ago. I remember the day. I was sitting on my couch doing a breathing treatment with my nebulizer and wanted a cig. So I shut off the machine, and went outside for a smoke. While coughing to the point that I thought I was couching up my lungs, I decided then and there to quit. I threw out the cig, and quit.

Hardest thing I ever did in my life. I had smoked since I was 8 yrs old, I was 49, and a hard core smoker. At times 4 packs a day...

Glad I quit. I have mild emphysema, and mild asthma, but take no meds now, and don't have to use the nebulizer either. I exercise daily too.....

I am happy that you are trying to do this......
  14. willas

willas New Member

Hey Monica,

How are you doing?
    I smoked off & on from the time I was 13 until I was about 39 or so. I quit while I was pregnant & nursing then started again then quit for good about 11 years ago. I went cold turkey because I have serious reactions to most medications & the trying to cut back slowly route just wasn't working. Let me tell you, I ate a lot of carrots & did a lot of cross stitch for the first 2 months but I got through it. The other thing that helped is a couple of months before I did quit, I quit smoking in the house & in the car.
    Hang in there. In a few months you'll be one of us annoying ex-smokers who can't stand the smell of it. ;-)
    Take care.
  15. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Gosh, what a great response......I didn't know smoking was so popular at one time. LOL.

Really, truly, thank you to everyone for the outpouring of love and support.

This has been a rough road for me. A lot harder than I thought it would be. I think what the hardest thing is that I was feeling like I was deprived. I know it sounds stupid but mentally I really truly was feeling like that. So, I've been really working on turning things around and I'm doing better.

The hardest times for me are when I'm having a lot of pain and lately the pain has been terrible. Since I had that procedure to "help" with my neck pain and migraines it has stirred up the cravings more during the difficult times. But I just have to take one day at a time.....that is all I can do at this point.

PS: Candy, I bet you felt like passing out after a few hits off that cigarette...thanks for the chuckle....I needed it today and it also reminded me to keep "smoke free". Thanks, Hon!