Any Sleeping Suggestions???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ttbmr, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ttbmr

ttbmr New Member

Help!!! I can't find the right medicine to help me sleep. I've taken Ambien, Ambien CR and Somata but I don't get enough sleep. I sleep 6 - 7 hours with these but I still wake up completely unrefreshed. My Doc thinks I'm crazy because 6-7 hours is a "long" time to sleep but I don't think I'm in a deep sleep. I recently tried some pain medication I had left over from getting a tooth pulled and found I felt great the next day! It completely knocked me out. I know it's not good to take this but I want to get that refreshed feeling. Has anyone taken Trazedone....some of my friends take it and they swear by it. My only concern is will it screw me up since it's classified as an anti depressant? I was on Lexapro and had a TERRIBLE time coming off it....my hormones were so screwed up after... I'm very cautious on trying again.
  2. all through the day ive made sure i pace myself.work a bit,rest a bit.when it gets to 6.30 pm i tell myself ITS TIME TO CLOCK OFF..you know like when we were at work,we,d clock in to start work and clock off at the end of the working day.
    anyway after 6.30 pm no matter what needs doing,who needs me to iron a shirt.. whatever..i wont do it 6.30 pm is the start of my relaxation period (my winding down session)so ill go get my night clothes on,sit WITH GOOD POSTURE in my sensible chair,watch a bit of tv.then about 8pm i go to my bedroom,play a little guitar ( i love my guitar) and by 9pm i switch the bedroom lamp off,and get into bed ready to sleep.
    i have one pillow instead of two on my bed.this has been working very well in as im now not waking up in the morning with chronic neck and back pain.
    some nights i dont feel like playing my guitar so instead i bought a portable cassette player.i recorded my favourite songs on that tape such as songs by enya ( oh those are like a godsend to me) and i lay in bed just relaxing and listening to that tape.it lasts 30 minutes,and then i just feel so calm,and before i know it,its morning already.and i realise ive had a good sleep.
    i have found that if i can get to sleep for roughly 9pm,then im waking up around about 5am in the morning.once i wake up,i get straight out of bed and enjoy the peace and quiet before my family wake up.ive just overcome the fear of going out doors alone,im very proud of myself.it all started with me taking my dog for a walk early in the morning,before the hustle and bustle of people and traffic.it slowly built up from there and im now able to keep myself from having panic attacks in crowds.
    so id say pick a time to begin un winding before bedtime.and stick to your new routine.

all the best

fran
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Have you had a sleep study to rule out sleep disorders?

I have sleep apnea (and use a cpap machine at night)I also don't go into the deeper stages. I have trouble going to sleep and staying asleep.

I now take Lunesta, I have been taking it for about 4 or 5 months. It works most of the time for me. My sleep has improved more since I started taking Lyrica too.

Some drugs interfere with sleep, I know I can't take ultracet, untram or sudafed or it keeps me awake even with the Lunesta and Lyrica.

I agree with the person who said a routine helps, and of course it is better not to use drugs if possible.

I have a friend who takes a benedryl every night to help her sleep. I have read that the active ingredient in over the counter sleep meds is the same thing as benedryl, and benedryl is less expensive.