Any studies on dental and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Megumi, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I've noticed a lot of posts lately on dental problems and FM, which has seemed wierd because for the past year I have been experiencing incredible dental problems - teeth breakin, runaway cavities, etc. I thought my problems were just due to age or something. I never even associated it with the FM. So, does anyone know of any studies or articles about it that I can pass along to the dentist?

Thanks
  2. bigmh

bigmh New Member

HiMegumi...I was just informed this week by the hygenist that I have moderate+ plaque, and this is more than she would expect for my age (48). I have always taken good care of my teeth, so I asked her why?

She said she noticed that I have dry mouth, and believes the problem is due to that. I have discussed the meds that I am taking with the pharmacist and am going to do some experimenting. Apparently the lack of saliva hinders the mouth's disposal of plaque. The hygenist also recommended swishing with water during the day.

I don't want any more problems, and the dentist said that he could see them coming if I continued this way. YIKES! I hope this helps. It is frustrating that some meds help some things and others cause more problems...good luck.

B
  3. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

I have had 3 teeth break in the last year!!! I asked the dentist if fm could have anything to do with this. he mumbled no and i didnt ask anymore. decided to research it, didnt find much on it. I think it does, cause my teeth are falling apart since fm.

Hopefully someone will know something.??
    deb