Any success in getting diability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hidlyn, Sep 12, 2005.

1. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

Hi. I'm very new to this board, but not to CFS or FM. I'm 35 and this is my 10th year with both conditions. I resolve every day to live my life as normally as possible and push myself, like everyone else does, to do what I can each day without causing a flare up. At this point, I have 2 year old triplets, a husband and a house to run. I had to give away my beloved dog and parrot because I was not able to take care of them. We eventually had to hire help because as much as I wanted to I could not do it alone. If it wasn't for my parents helping out financially, we'd be up the creek without a paddle. I know there is no way I can go back to work full time and I know as a teacher I barely was able to manage as a single person. I just can't bear to think of going back to that. I know working means more risk of flaring up either condition and then not being able to take care of my family. Because of this, I'm looking into disability benefits, but I've heard they're almost impossible to get. Has anyone been successful?

Thank you so much for your response.

Heidi
  2. bossco

bossco New Member

I received disability thru my teachers retirement system. You didn't say how long you've been away from teaching. There is a 2 year window to apply from your last teaching year. This was 8 years ago now for me, don't know if the window is the same or not. good luck, the economic crunch from the illness is a tough road to go down. like we need more than the illness itself.
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

....from my employer's ins people (UNUM Provident) as I've been unable to work for abt 3 mos (only diagnosed for 1 mo). Its been an uphill battle, but I'm sticking to my guns...they will pay me my money, dang it! I know many women/men here are on SSI disability, but it was a long hard road to get it. I can't really give you any advice bc this is all so new to me, except to say start process NOW, and stick to your guns, because they will give you the runaround any way they can. It is their ultimate desire to get us to give up because we don't have the strength to fight them. Don't let them win. You are entitled to these benefits, FM is recognized as a disability by the federal govt, and you can get the benefits if you work with the right docs, and bring in a lawyer if you have to.

I asked a question (post) like this a few days ago, and got some amazing info from the people here...they are all so willing to help and support you! Do a search for "disability" and you'll find my post and all the answers.

Good luck!
    Rachel
  4. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

OMG you sound very overwhelmed. My brother and sister in law have triplets but they are now 11 yo. I know it was very hard for my SIL for the first couple of years, and she wasn't dealing with a debilitating condition like you are.

I was 34 when I stopped working. I went on state disability first (I'm in CA) because I had hoped my condition would improve with time and rest. After one year the state disability expired and I just knew I couldn't go back to work. At that point I filed for SSDI. It took me over a year to get approved, I was denied twice and then went to an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) hearing. I won at that level.

It was a very difficult and trying time. Like you I have 3 young children and had to send them to daycare, just to make it through life. As a matter of fact, daycare was used as evidence in my ALJ hearing, because the judge felt it proved I wasn't just trying to be a stay at home mom and get paid. I also had 10 years of medical evidence from my Dr to support my diagnosis of a headache disorder, FM and CFS. I tried to work through much of my illness but at a certain point, I just couldn't go on anymore.

State disability was fairly easy to get but SSDI can be a long, stressful road. If you choose to apply be prepared for the worst and pray for the best.

Check if your state has state disability, some do some don't.

I wish you luck!
    Sincerely
    JL
  6. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

I am also fighting an uphill battle. My disable date is 05/16/2005 and the private ins company-Aetna hasn't given me a dime. They have denied me from the get go, but I'm still trying.
    I applied for SSI. Although I don't have the time or energy so I let a firm do it for me. I'm exhausted!!!!
  7. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

Yes I'm overwhelmed and it would be worse without the extra help I need. I had to hire a nanny 3 days a week to keep afloat. My parents are helping financially for that, but we're still having trouble. I have to have someone clean the house too twice a month and the expenses for 3 at one time pile up quickly. I would not mind working when they go to school if I could to help ease the financial burden, but I know it's not in the picture for me. If it wasn't for my husband taking care of them during the weekend and our nanny doing it Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I wouldn't be able to sit here and type this. :) I'm so in love with my family I wouldn't change a thing, but I certainly do need some help financially if it's out there to get. Thank you for your response.

Heidi
  8. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

That's kind of nice to know that in a way. I have been beating myself up for not having some extra insurance policy, but I see that wouldn't have solved anything either. Thanks for you input.

Heidi
  9. orachel

orachel New Member

Orachel here again, I posted yesterday abt my ongoing battle to get even st disability from UNUM Provident since June, and they're constant demand for more information. Well, those stinkers finally went and turned down my claim due to fact that doctors (Ahem! all FIVE of them! lol) didn't get specific enough in EXACTLY what I can't do....Ie: Rachel cannot sit or stand in the same postion for more than 10 minutes without extreme pain.
    I'm so angry I could spit! Then I called my rep at UNUM and mentioned that I'd been informed of the problems UNUM Provident has had legally due to turning down claims that had merit (all info courtesy of people here...thanks, guys!), and maybe I just needed to have my attorney take over in dealing with them. Less than a day later, and I now have a supervisor leaving me 2 msgs within a 4 hr period. They haven't approved me yet, but they'd better!

We all just have to refuse to give up. Go into process KNOWING you're going to get turned down multiple times before you get approved, and then if you get approved faster, more the blessing.

Good luck!
    Rachel
  10. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

I'll keep all that in mind. Thank you. Let us know how it works out for you.

Heidi
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Heidi:
    Yes, you could probably get disabilty. It may take time and effort on your part and the help of a lawyer toward the end.

if you need it go for it.

hugs
    NyroFan
  12. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

hi : no its not impossible to get disability. What it takes is patience and persistence. Dont give up. Make sure you have a least 2 doctors who are supporting your decision. You may need a lawyer too. For the governement disabiltiy I didnt use a lawyer and got it with in 1 1/2 years. My work disability I just won a buy out last month after a 3 year battle and I did need a lawyer for that one. It was all worth it though. I can now pay off my house and look after my health. I feel much better not working too. So go for it and dont give up.
    hugs,poodlemum