any suggestion on pillows for all the neck pain??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MssDarla, Jun 19, 2006.

1. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

I bought a new bed and new pillows. Goose down but isn't enough support for me.

I have alot of neck pain.

any suggestion on pillows? buckwheat maybe?

thanks in advance for the responses.

Darla

2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I am almost hesitant to even say this. I spent 90 bucks on a pillow, and I hate to admit to paying that much.

I bought a tempurpedic pillow from my chiropractor several years ago and now I can't sleep without it. I even paid 80 bucks one time to have a hotel ship it to me overnite because I had left it there.

I've tried some of the others that are supposed to be similar and have the memory foam, but I just don't get the same results from them. The tempurpedic actually conforms to the shape of your head and neck, plus gives you really good support.

I'm not telling you to run out and spend a fortune on one, but it has been some of the best money I've ever spent. The pillow doesn't do it all though. I've probably gone through an entire case of Ortho-Gel pain relief gel in a roll-on bottle, and since then I've learned that most of my neck and shoulder pain is caused from myofascial trigger points. I now know how to massage them and get relief.

I hope you find what works best for you.
    ((((hugs))))
    mrsjethro
  3. livin4him

livin4him New Member

My tempurpedic neck pillow. I am a side sleeper so I got the queen size which is thicker.

Also, can't do without my horseshoe pillow that is just stuffed with polyester pillow filling. Got it at Walgreens for like $9. The pillow has a zipper on it and I removed some of the fill when I first got it and just add it back as needed. I use it all the time, when I am in my recliner and also sometimes in bed.

Good luck to you.
  4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I have found the water filled pillow to be quite effective.
  5. cathugs

cathugs New Member

A few months ago I was in Goody's shopping with my
    daughter. I saw a little pink horse shoe shaped pillow.

It had the breast cancer emblem on it. The sign above
    said part of the purchase money from the pillow would
    be used for breast cancer research. The price was only
    $ 5.99. I bought mostly just to help the research.

But my, how much better my neck and shoulders feel
    It can be used if you are a back sleeper or side
    sleeper. I also use it in my recliner also

I'm sure there are more costlier pillows on the market
    but that little $6.00 worked just fine for me.((Ruth))
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I had tried many pillows to no avail.

Several months ago, we went to a Dormia (adjustable bed store) to check out the beds. I fell in love with one of the pillows. It isn't contoured (sp) and looks like a regular pillow.

It is made of excellent memory foam and I bought it. Although it did cost, cringe, a hundred dollars, it was the best money ever spent.

Not only does my fibro hurt my neck but all of my cervical discs are in really bad shape, too.

I am sure you can find others. This was the only one I found that really made a difference for me.

Dormia has a website, if you want to check it out.

Good luck!

Kim
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Actually my mother-in-law bought it from Sam's club and didn't like it.

I was surprised at how good it felt. I have problems with the disc in my neck along with fibro and can have some pretty nasty pain with it.

Knock on wood....I haven't had a flare up since I've been using it.

Regards,

Eileen
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I bought it from the chiropractor a couple of years ago. You can change the firmness by adding or removing water. The water bladder is on the bottom, and the top is foam. When you put your head on it, it sort of cradles it.

Back when I got it, it was about $50.

I bought one for my mother-in-law last Thanksgiving.
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

These work best for me.They stay in the exact shape that you put them in. No need to bunch the pillow up to support your neck. They are wonderful.
    Hugs Shirley
  10. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

I bought the ones with a head-shaped dip from the chiropratcer yesterday.

only been one night but I slept good

Thanks all