Any suggestions on anxiety/depression drugs that work.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greeneyeslk, Oct 31, 2006.

1. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

I am currently looking to change from my natural supplements (St. John's Wort and 5 HTP)to an RX medication that may help me better. I suffer from unexpected anxiety and panic attacks and they are more bothersome than my fibro pain at the moment. I have been putting off going on an anti-depressant as I have heard so much bad feedback about alot of them. I am currently taking Xanex 3 times a day for my anxiety but am afraid that I am building an tolerance to it and will have to keep taking more and it is addictive. Also, has anyone tried SAM-E? I heard that it could be taken in addition to anti-depressants. Any suggestions of what has helped others would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My suggestion is to discuss your concern about the Xanax with your physician. If you have been taking it a relatively short time, your ‘tolerance’ may be due to the fact that you have not found the optimum effective dose for you.

If the Xanax proves unsatisfactory, I would suggest other anti-anxiety drugs before anti-depressants.
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Xanax works well for a lot of people with anxiety.

kriket

4. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

When I had severe anxiety 24/7 my doc' prescribed Lorazepam (Ativan) and it was a LIFE SAVER for me. I took one tablet twice daily and I was able to wean off of it after a couple of months with no problems, worked wonderful. I also take Zoloft which I've been on a looong time, and it is helpful for of course depression, but also for anxiety, panic attacks, and for the pain of Fibro. Hope this helps. susi-di
  5. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I have the same problems. I only take the Xanax a couple of times a month, at most. I take 20 mg of Prozac and have never had a problem, on the contrary.

Does your doctor know that you are taking those supplements with the Xanax? You should be careful about mixing the two.

I prefer to take something that has been on the market for 10+ years and has had dozens of clinical trials than taking something over-the-counter and throwing my money away on something that has not been proven and could hurt me.

Just my two cents.
  6. jjoys

jjoys New Member

Hi, greeneyes. I've had chronic major depression all my life and chronic anxiety/panic disorder since about age 18. I've tried many, many antidepressants. In fact, I think I've tried everything out there. I started taking Paxil 2 and half years ago and I love it. It has made me almost normal. What neuroses are left in me might just be my wierdness. :) But Paxil takes up to 2 months to reach full effectiveness, although some people get some improvement in as little as one week. Until it starts working I suggest taking Xanax for acute symptoms. It's supposedly addictive, but I've been using it for almost 10 years, and I've had no problem with addiction. I use .25 mg maybe 4 times a month. I don't need it on a regular basis, and I definatlely don't get "high" on it. Hope this helps.

joys
  7. jjoys

jjoys New Member

Hope this is okay, just want to make sure greeneyes sees my reply.
  8. suz45

suz45 New Member

Greeneyslk:

First make sure you wean off your Xanax at a slow enough pace so you dont increase the panic/anxiety attacks due to rebound or withdrawl. Talk to you physician about the antidepressant Lexapro, I have seen good results with it in many people young and old and for the most part you need only take it one time a day. It has alot less of the side effects of some of the other SSRI's and it kicks in fairly qyuickly. I believe you could lower your xannax as your doctor increases your Lexepro. But again check in with your doctor, dont go this alone.

Let us know how you are...

Suz45
  9. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

I don’t know an antidepressant I haven’t taken. Seven years of therapy ….. and much more. I still use anti depressants but a book called “Feeling Good” by Dr. Burns has done more for me than any thing else. The drugs are now my third line of defense. You can pick it at any book store.

Good luck
  10. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I am very sensitive to most drugs...especially psychotropics, antidepressants.

I am doing well on Clonazapam/Klonopin for anxiety and settling my mind...Haileycole has some posts about Klonopin and how it helps the brain.

I started taking 5HTP recently after having a rough go of it with meds, including Nortrptaline 10mg...made me depressed at an 8 on a scale of 1-10!

Since starting 5HTP, I have been averaging 6-7 hours of sleep, not always w/out waking, but at least, I don't stay up for 2-3 hours at a time like I used to.

We are all different, and need to find what works best for each of us...

I was wondering about SAM-E myself...

Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  11. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

Serax is what I am on and it appears to do well...and comes in generic form.
  12. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

Thank you for all of your good comments and advice. It is nice to talk and ask questions of people who know what I am going through. I am going to talk with my doctor and make a decision soon. I had surgery about 2 weeks ago and had to go off the herbal supplements so I am letting my body take a rest from them for now. I am having a bit more anxiety but have just raised my dosage of Xanex a bit for now. Thanks again.