Any suggestions on how to clean a tub

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I have a lot of trouble cleaning the bathtub, I need to kneel down, and my knees are very painful. Then I need to wipe down inside, it really hurts my arms and back. Does any one have a more comfortable way of doing this? Also, making the bed, irritates my arms and back, I sometimes get help, but not all the time. Afterwards I am exhausted!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Take Care all!! SB
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I have the same problem

I heard there is some cleaner that you put the bottle in and it swirts the walls and hoses it down???

The only thing, I am very sensitive to chemicals, so this may not be an option
  3. monet61

monet61 New Member

I use Tilex Soap Scum formula. Spray it on, leave it for 5 minutes, rinse it out. Works great for me. I have a hand held shower setup so that's very helpful in the rinsing.

Sometimes I'll also use a combination of Mr. Clean, dish detergent, and very hot water. Put the cleaners in, fill the tub and let it sit for a while. Then swish it out with a long handled brush and rinse.
  4. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

Great ideas on how to clean the tub without kneeling. I never thought of a long handled brush, but that sounds doable. That solution you put in the tub, is made from Scrubbing Bubbles, but it does have a lot of chemicals, which I can't handle either.

Take Care!!! Have a great day!! Stay in the AC SB
  5. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

Magic wand I believe it's called,you can use it on the tub,walls,sinks and it's on a pole so there is no need to bend down at all.first put on the cleaning pads,wet it and go!
    Hope this helps. P.S. It's not real strong smelling at all..........
    Your fibro sis,
    Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2006]
  6. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Will have to try the denture tablets.

For everyday type cleaning I keep a spray bottle of a mixture of white vinegar and dish detergent handy. Does not smell the best, but it is not a harsh chemical, is inexpensive and keeps hard water deposits from building up. Wash up with a washcloth or long handled scrubber and hose down with a shower massage or sprayer.

I originally got the shower massage to bathe and rinse my dog, but it is a real worksaver when it comes to hosing down the tub walls too. They are pretty inexpensive on sale, and easy to install. I used teflon tape to wrap the pipe fittings and did it myself.
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I agree with onlythestrong, I like the Mr. Clean wand too.

I cannot get on my knees either-WAY too painful. Cleaning kills my back, arms, & shoulders too.

I use the rough texture scrubber pads on the wand. Works great!
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Used the new scrubbing bubble automatic shower cleaner.

WOW works great push the button and it cleans the whole thing.Make sure every family member does it after every shower.Keeps the whole thing nice and clean.

I have not had to clean shower and tub in 6 months its GREAT.

Sue
  9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I just put scrubbing bubbles on the tub and tile, close the shower/tub door and bathroom door, let it sit for about 20 mins and then rinse. Occasionally I will need to get out the sponge and wipe an area but for the most part the scrubbing bubbles does it all.

I am very sensitive to cleaning solutions so I just have to close the doors to avoid the smell. Once it is washed out there is no lingering chemical smell. Then after every bath or shower I rinse the whole tub and tile with hot water and it stays clean.

I am not able to do much intense household cleaning. I do everything the easiest way possible. I use lysol wipes with bleach to clean the bathroom and kitchen, just wipe everything down. I use swiffer wet and add a small amount to Pine Sol on the floor to mop and dusting I just wet a towel and wipe down. I can't do window though the Windex just gives me a terrible Migraine that I can't get rid of for days, so either my husband does it or it doesn't get done.

I've been considering hiring someone to help me once a month or once every couple of months to do the deep cleaning but I just feel weird sitting around while someone cleans my house....like they might think I'm a lazy bum. Also makes me feel weird to have someone in my house.

Sincerely
    JL
  10. charlenef

charlenef New Member

my husband does it. when he doesnt do it i have a cleaning women that dusts washes my floors and scrubs the tub. if you limit someone to clean those areas it dont cost to much. i know around here they also sell scubbing bubbles that you hang in your tub that you turn on everyday when you get out.it cost about 15.00 but im pretty sure they were testing to see how they sell around here charlene n.y.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2006]
  11. jake123

jake123 New Member

I have all the cleaning products and toys there are to help me get things done. I don't use them until it is necessary but then I do a good job. Sometimes my step daughter cleans for me but I never know when she will show up. When school starts maybe she will be more regular.
    I like the Mr. Clean thingey, it works like a charm. I dearly love my Swiffers, they are worth every penny they cost. After I dust inside, I run outside and use them on the outside furniture and it does a good job there.
    My husband knows I love to clean but sometimes it is not possible so will help me. As a carpet shampooer he is the best.
  12. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

IF MY HUBBY IS TOO BUSY I JUST SPRAY THE TUB AND WALLS ABOUT 15 MIN BEFORE I SHOWER THEN WHEN I GET IN I USE MY FEET WITH THE THICK CLEANING RAG FOR THE TUB THEN TURN THE WATER ON AND RINSE THE WALLS WITH A CUP. THEN I TAKE MY SHOWER KILLS TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE AND NO BENDING OVER
  13. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

14. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

I use the works bath and tile cleaner. It smells horrible, some might not be able to use it. but what i do is spray the whole tub and walls leave for about 10 minutes then use a toilet brush, one of the softer ones that won't scratch. to scrub, I take my time and take a few breaks. then i turn on the shower and rinse it all away.

I heard somewhere vinegar works but i've never tried it.

Angell
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

I can't get down on my knees either due to my knee surgeries.

So, I bought one of those Mr. Clean long-handle bathroom and floor cleaners. I works really well.

16. IEMom

IEMom New Member

Scrubbing bubbles is really helping me clean. I use it for the bathtub and toilets. You spray it on and let it soak. After a few minutes all the dirt and scum rinse off easily.
  17. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

My daughter loves to clean with the long wand, and she does a good job. I put her into the shower with it and let her play in the water, I am sure that she will eventually grow out of this helpful stage, but I am enjoying it while I can.

Ingrid
  18. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I swear by is Gel Gloss. You can get it at Home Depot and I think some other stores may carry it too. This is a great cleaner, and it also helps with water stains.

I also hear that Magic Eraser is good too.

Hope that helps!!

Dawn
  19. sues1

sues1 New Member

Use liquid bath soap.......Neutrogena or Aveeno or Dove.....lots out on the market. If sensitive to odors.....most have a fragrance free type also.

Make sure everyone in the house uses it. Soap scum does not build up on tub or shower with most liquid soaps. Also if shower walls get cleaned, use a car or floor wax on it then.
    Really helps. But do not wax your tub or shower floor, you or someone could slip and get hurt.

I rarely make my bed, change it yes. I do not use a top sheet, I bought a regular size bed. I could not change my bigger beds. Also someone to help you is nice.

20. atthezoo

atthezoo New Member

I gave my bath tub a good cleaning. Then put up the scrubbing bubble Automatic shower cleaner. Just hangs on the shower head. Push the button and its clean. Just remember to rinse shower with water before use if you have allergies. I have many allergies to cleaners and this one does not bother my allergies at all. I haven't had to scrub my shower since I bought mine.