Any supplement gurus out there???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiem31, Jun 9, 2003.

1. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Can anyone help with this???

I know that you're supposed to take calcium and magnesium together (at night) because they help each other absorb.

I also know that you're NOT supposed to take iron with calcium, because it causes poor absorbsion.

I take Magnesium Malate that contains a small amount of iron (only 4%DV). Should I avoid taking this with my Citracal at night??? Is any iron too much?

If I can't take the Mag-malate with the Citracal, when should I take it? I've read that calcium is better absorbed when taken right before bedtime.

Hoping someone can clue me in....

Thanks, Debbie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2003]
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

I give my son his magnesium after supper and his calcium at bedtime. Seems to be working better and the magnesium doesn't upset his stomach being taken with a big meal. Hope this helps.
  3. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I appreciate your response. Right now, I take the Mag at lunch and the cal at night.

Thanks, Debbie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I prefer taking calcium citrate with a meal to help prevent GERD. I take mine at breakfast and dinner, but I take my magnesium about an hour before bedtime.
    Unless you are a menstruating female with iron deficiency anemia, you should really not take iron at all. It builds up in the body, and can eventually become a significant heart disease risk factor. As I'm sure you know, they are adding iron to many cereals and you can get too much just from that without adding any supps.
    Klutzo
  5. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Hi and thanks for responding. I am a very thin woman and happen to be menstruating right now! I've always been a little on the anemic side for as long as I can remember. I didn't buy the Mag-Malate for the iron, it just happened to be in there. But like I said, it's a very small amount. Thanks again...
  6. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

bumping for more opinions, please.....

Thanks, Debbie
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Debbie

You've been given the right advice about seperating calcium and magnesium. It is beleived that for optimum health the amount of mg you should is 2/3 that of the calcium; not 1:2 as often quoted. Most people with these DDs are deficient in Mg.

Mikie and many others swear by ZMA which also has zinc and a little B6. Magnesium glyconate is also better absorbed than most supplements and can be used to top up the Mg in ZMA.

Don't take too much Mg at first, it can cause diarrhea. Like all supplements it's best to take things slowly.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2003]