Any supplements that seem to help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by app5775, Sep 4, 2006.

1. app5775

app5775 New Member

Hi, I'm new to the board and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck taking supplements? I've heard of fish oil supplements and Activive. I've tried Xango but I didn't have any major results. I guess some things work for some but not for all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. God Bless you all its good to know we are not alone. It can be a lonely illness with CFS/Fibro when other "healthy" people just don't understand.
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Welcome to our board....And please remember that very few of us are medically trained, we only know what works for us.

Supplements...I'm a huge fan. First let's start with magnesium/cal/zinc in a balanced form. This supplement can make a huge difference in your life.

We're all deficient in magnesium and it's very difficult to get what we need from foods. Magnesium can help with brain fog, but it will really help with muscle aches.

I rarely have any muscle aches anymore since beginning this supplement. Some say it helps them sleep too.

Have you done a search for "supplements" in the title? You'll find many helpful threads on the subject.

I take many supplements and they've helped me greatly. I buy them here online at the Pro Health Store. Do some searching around, they're wonderful.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. app5775

app5775 New Member

Thanks all for your suggestions. Can you give any more details as to what amount of the supplements that you mentioned help but are still in the "safe" range to take? I'll have to surf around a bit and see what others have also said. I have to admit I'm not a newbie per se. I've battled with CFS/Ebstein Barr and now more so diagnosed as fibromyalgia for many years. I just seemed to have "crashed" again since last year". I had to quit my 25 hour a week job but I so hope to maybe work a 10 - 15 hr. part time job in the near future. I have a wonderful Dr. that has always tried to help in whatever way he can all these years. He is into environmental medicince and suggests the possibility of candidia/allergy involvement which is many times a contributing factor. I had mono twice in my life and my Ebstein Barr titer is always high, so we've often thought that is a major reason for my health problems along with allergies, trauma and other health related problems. I guess I can also suggest some things that have helped me as well. Yes, get checked for allergies, you might be surprised how much that is tiring your well being. I also have a water bed. Often times just laying on the sheet right next to the coolness of the waterbed helps my pain alot especially in the summer monthes. I just bought a multvitamim at Walmart as I read on another website that a product called "One source" has some very good substantial mineral and vitamins over the usual amounts listed. I just got them and they do seem to have higher amounts of the supplements that you all suggested. That is why I have my concerns so as not to "OD" on those extra supplements. As for exercise, I have my horses that keep me from folding up. Sometimes they are almost too much work for me to keep up but the rewards and enjoyment far outway the sometimes overload of work. I ride when I can and rest alot!! Sometimes my husband does not support me since if I'm alright to ride, etc. I must be healthy. Well we all know our symptons can change day to day or hour to hour and we do what we can when we can. No one understands our plight but ourselves so I sort of just live each day and the heck with everyone else! Cowgirl attitude I guess. Well thanks again for the advice and I'll keeping watching the board. Its great therapy for us all.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi App,

Welcome to the board. I'm here every once in a blue moon. I wish you much success in your journey to wellness. Different things work for different people, but something works for everyone! It can be trial and error. **PLEASE, always check with your doctor(S) before trying any supplements!**
    With the advice of my doc, I tried some fish oil to lower my cholesterol and found it had some fantastic side benefits of helping with depression and lubricating my joints! If you are interested in trying fish oil, make sure it is mercury free.

I take a hefty dose (4 grams) per nite because my cholesterol was pretty high. (It went down from 286 to 195 in only 2 and a half months!) My point about the hefty dose though is that I'm not sure how much you would need to get the antidepressant properties and joint lubrication properties. That I'm sure varies from person to person as well. Ask your doc and see what he thinks. If he or she is not thrilled with the idea of fish oil, you can always get your omega 3 fatty acids naturally through salmon and tuna (which I do as well).

I also do the Guai Protocal. It's quite detailed. You might check out fibromyalgiatreatment.com for the nuts and bolts and see if ou are interested. It's very different and I was quite skeptical, but it's lessened my pain considerably. Hope this helps, and just remember: you are not alone!!

Warmly,

Erika
  5. app5775

app5775 New Member

I would also like to ask out there if anyone has had a hysterectomy partial or otherwise and what its affects have been positive or negative on fibro/CFS? I have very severe cramps to the point of getting sick each month even worse than when I was younger. I'm on the verge of menopause and it just won't let up. Whenever I get close to that time of the month, I always feel worse and it affects my muscles all the more. I've thought of raising those issues with my Dr. and see if a partial hysterectomy would either lesson symptons or provoke them. Any suggestions from those of you in similar situations? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks again for your input on suplements as well. I will consider them all and present those thoughts to my Dr.
  6. app5775

app5775 New Member

Hi, I don't know if I have endometreosis (sp). But I get very severe cramping every month worse than ever. What are the symptons of endometreosis? I have a Dr. appt tomarrow. I'll touch base with him and get his opinion also but I'd like to know more how menopause/hysterectomy affects persons like us with FM/CFS. And any suggestions to lesson those affects.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I had a partial a few years ago and I can't say that it has helped my FM/CFS at all.

But...I no longer have my horrible/ER migraines each month for at least 3 weeks of the month.

I no longer have periods that don't seem to ever end each month (and the cramps that went with it)

So, I'm very happy with the surgery as I was counting down to menopause each month anyway.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  8. mariee

mariee Member

A GREAT website is
    hystersisters.com
    they give all the pros and cons, plus help before and after, and menopause support.
    So helpful to me.
    Hope you check it out.
    message boards similar to here and good articles.
    Good luck.
  9. chris350

chris350 New Member

Omega 3 supplements have helped me a lot. Get the more expensive pills that are deoderized and won't make you burp up a fishy taste. Don't get the omega liquid or you will have constant diarrhea.

Chris