any teens?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by *Isla*, Oct 31, 2002.

1. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hello!
    I know I've asked this many times before but since there's always new people, just wondering who the teens are out there. I'm 17 and have had CFS since I was 12 and FM since I was 15.
    God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*
  2. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hello!
    I know I've asked this many times before but since there's always new people, just wondering who the teens are out there. I'm 17 and have had CFS since I was 12 and FM since I was 15.
    *Sonia*
  3. Lulanni

Lulanni New Member

Hi sonia!!
    i have often wondered if there were any people around my age on this board as well. i don't post very often but i do read almost every day. just wanted to take a minute and respond to your post to let you know you aren't alone.

miranda
  4. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

It is good to know that someone else around my age can cope with this too. Just wondering, how old were you when you got it? And are you in school or working or unable to do any of that?
    *Sonia*
  5. tes

tes New Member

This is Tes from Toronoto. I am 31 years old but have had this since my late teens. I was diagnosed last year. I suffer more from fm the cfs. Are you seeing any special doctor in Toronto? What symptoms do you suffer with? Can you still study and live life normally? Talk to you soon.

Tes
  6. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

My main symptoms are fatigue, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing (though that's my asthma), joint pain, difficulty focusing my eyes, and cognative problems like memory loss and when I'm really tired difficulty speaking and reading. I've been seeing a doctor by the name of Dr. Hui. He practices both Eastern and Western medicine and alternative therapies. I'm current trying IV hydrogen peroxide therapy and I seem to be getting results. My breathing is better, I feel stronger and not so tired, and I'm not in so much pain. He's also given me melatonin to help me sleep and it's been working like a charm. I am still going to school though since I've been sick, I've had to take a reduced course load so I'll graduate a semester after the rest of my friends. I'm hoping that after these IV hydrogen peroxide treatments, I'll be able to go full time in university.
    And that's pretty much my story lol. Hope that answers your questions though I'd be all to glad to answer any others.
    *Sonia*
  7. Lulanni

Lulanni New Member

sonia-
    i was just diagnosed with FM about 6 months ago, though i feel like i have had some of the symptoms, mainly the fatigue, since i was about 12 or so. i was having problems off and on for about a year prior to being diagnosed and consequently used up all my sick leave and STD where i worked. the call center i was in in lawrence KS was going to close anyway so they fired me in april while on sick leave and i have been on unemployment since. i moved to arizona and it is really difficult to find a job out here, but i am still looking!!i am not sure once i find one if i will be able to cope but financially i can't afford NOT to work.so i guess i will find out.
    my main symptom is fatigue,i can sleep 20 out of a 24 hr day!!(i need to work on my diet to help combat this but i am so picky already it seems there won't be anything left for me to eat!) the pain in my muscles and joints is controlled by pain meds and i can DEFINATELY remember when i have forgotten to take my daily dose!! i also have a histamine problem that causes itchy skin the same as some on here have reported and a loss of memory (i feel like i am 21 going on 81 LOL) which seemed to start 5 yrs ago after i had my son. those are the major ones at least.
    i don't know how i would have made it through high school if i felt this bad then so i have alot of respect for you. alot of people would probably give up but it sounds like you aren't that type. good luck to you and hope you get some relief soon!!
    miranda
  8. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Wow that sounds like you've got a lot to deal with right now. I don't know how I could manage without my parents supporting me. Are you trying any treatments or anything? Well I hope things are going well! God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*
  9. RachelLeah

RachelLeah New Member

Hey. I'm 19 (will be 20 in a week). I was just diagnosed with FMS this past June. I have had health problems since I was a baby and have shown signs of FMS since I was at least 10.

Rachel
  10. JLynne

JLynne New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm 17 and I was diagnoesed with FMS when I was 14, although they can trace symtoms back to when I was 5. It's good to know that there are people out there who are relatively close to my age and are going through the same problems and difficulties. I hope that all is going well for everyone.
    Stay Strong,
    Jessica
  11. nesje

nesje New Member

sorry to hear you had to cope with this so soon
    I'm 19, i don't have cfs myself, i'm a nurse
    love
    vanessa
  12. Lulanni

Lulanni New Member

i wish i could afford to try some kind of treatment but until i find a job i don't have any health coverage. the two medications i am supposed to take every day are already making me broke! i really haven't had much experience with a dr about this as the dr who diagnosed me was my GP and she wasn't really famaliar with other forms of treatment. i was sent to a rhuemy but he was a total jerk and felt i was "dumped" on him cause the other dr in his practice refused to see FM patients. needless to say after 2 appts i never went back to him, but he was 1 out of only 2 rhuemys in my area in KS and the other one had a WORSE reputation! so hopefully after i get med insurance i can find a good dr out here in AZ.
    that is really great that you have the support of your family. i know having people around that love you and care for you can make you feel 10x better. i am not very close to my mom and recently had a falling out with my godmother who was the closest family i really had left so i kind of rely on friends, all of which are back in KS! hmm..kinda obvious i HATE arizona huh? hehe
  13. melksng

melksng New Member

Hi sonia, Im 15 years old and had fibro all of my life, It can be a pain in the **** as u know. i find it very hard to explain to other teens about fibro as they dont have a clue what its like trying to cope with this much pain eveyday of your life. I am doing home schooling right now because of fibro, It just got too much for me at school. I was afraid of getting called an old woman and being teased about it, but now im just concentrating on my school work and trying to cope. Just want you and anyone else out there to know i am here if u ever need a shoulder to cry on anytime. (HUGZ)......Melissa