Any thoughts on the W5 show Theory

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rickj44, Dec 26, 2009.

1. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I have always thought there is a link between Fibromyalgia and MS.. Did anybody see the new theory on W5, about MS
    I got my family thinking its a Cure for Fibromyalgia , and it doesn't even sound right too me. For one thing it sounds too simple..

How can a vascular problem cause all the pain , such as the pins and needles and burning feeling.

When topics like these hit the headlines it sure doesn't do use much good.. because most healthy people think what we have is a quick fix.. I never thought before i got Fibro there was so many different types of pain..A have some pain discomfort, that i cannot even put into words.

This was posted on the MS forum but so far nobody has said too much.
  2. quanked

quanked Member

W5 show theory?
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

if you are talking about what I think you are (I'm too tired and have been online too long to go to the link rt now) it actually does make quite a bit of sense

if blood flow to the brain is being cut off all sorts of problems could result....think of the impact of having blood flow to the heart restricted from plaque- this is similar, but effects the brain, from what I understand about this (I could be wrong, bc I am currently really foggy), it is basically restricting blood flow into and out of the brain and also hampering the brain's ability to communicate well with the nervous system....considering all that the brain does, anything that impacts it would theoretically impact the rest of the body in a big way

and CFS patients often have too little blood going to the brain - that has been theorized as a reason that many of us get lesions (unidentified bright objects) on our brains.....lesions that are similar to those in MS
  4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Interesting! Vascular problems can cause pain, and many other symptoms. Although they are not that easily treated, without irritating side effects from medications.

Yes, I get sick of people coming to me with new cures when they haven't a clue. However, this is just a trial period, and they are still investigating. Complex diseases are so difficult to pick apart to figure out causes that researchers often have exhausted 50 different causes by the time they figure out the truth. It is good that they're working on it though.

Last year they thought viruses caused CFS, MS, and epilepsy. I bet it is all one piece of the puzzle they're trying to put together. After all, viruses do in fact thicken blood, thus causing some vascular symptoms.

Fight :)
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2009]
  5. rickj44

rickj44 Member

That would be great if they are onto something, but i am not that excited.. Restricted blood flow to the brain will cause Mini strokes.
    Blood not being able too drain away from the brain would cause a build up of blood pressure in the brain cavity and that could cause death.

This is what i think, but whatever this new theory is, it has too be much more complicated then what i am thinking..

I have had the MRI's scan too the brain and also tests to check blood flow through my body, and legs.. and of course everything was normal..
  6. znewby

znewby Member

I know there is a higher incidence of raynauds in people with fibromyalgia. Could raynauds play a part in blood flow at the back bottom of the brain/neck area? Probably not because I have only heard of raynauds happening in relation to extremeties. But just questioned.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This article is excellent as it analyzes all the implications of Zamboni's research. It looks like the jury is still out as the study needs to be replicated. But that does not mean it is not true. There just needs to be more research. At this point it can not be called either way.

Parts of this remind me of the MXRV study, whether or not this abnormality seen is the cause or effect of MS.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The following is just the part of the article that deals with MS.

"It should therefore be no surprise at all that the medical community is once again taking a cautious approach to preliminary research published by a single researcher claiming dramatic results from a revolutionary new idea. As Peter discussed, Dr. Zamboni, a neurosurgeon, believes he has found a cause and a cure for multiple sclerosis (MS) – a neurosurgical one.

Just like with lithium and ALS, his idea is an interesting one, and his preliminary data deserved to be taken seriously – which means replicating his research and doing follow up studies. He claims that patients with MS – 100% of the MS patients he has studied, but none of the controls – have blockages in the veins that drain blood from the brain. These blockages lead to blood backing up in the brain, which causes iron deposits, which results in inflammation and MS.

At this point there are many possibilities. It’s possible Dr. Zamboni is the victim of confirmation bias (I am always suspicious of 100% results) and his new condition – chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency or CCSVI is an illusion.

It is possible he has found a real pathological marker for MS but what he is seeing is the result of MS, not the cause of it. Inflammation is known to follow the venous system in MS, but there are explanations for this that have to do with the immune system in the central nervous system. Perhaps chronic inflammation from MS causes sclerosis in the veins and the blockage that Dr. Zamboni is finding.

If this is true then it is possible that the venous sclerosis is playing no or only a minimal role in MS pathology, and fixing them by opening them up with baloon angioplasty is of no benefit. It is also possible that even though the venous changes are cause by auto-immunity in MS, once they form they worsen the clinical syndrome, and treating CCSVI in MS will improve outcome, even if it does not cure the underlying cause driving the disease.

And it is possible that Dr. Zamboni has discovered the or an underlying cause of MS – that CCSVI is actually the primary driver of the disease. Or perhaps it just triggers the auto-immune response, but once triggered it is self-sustaining.

This is a huge range of possibilities, and it is definitely premature to come to the most extreme conclusion among them. We need time for the MS community to pick over Zamboni’s claims and research. While we do not know what ultimately causes MS, we have decades of high quality research characterizing its pathophysiology. How does this research square with Zamboni’s claims? Let’s wait and see.

Zamboni’s basic claims need to be replicated. And if warranted, clinical studies need to fully characterize the risks and benefits of any procedure to address alleged CCSVI. Perhaps it only has benefit is a sub-population of MS. Maybe it makes the disease worse. We won’t know until quality studies are done.

I am not holding my breath, just as I wasn’t with lithium for ALS, but I will certainly follow the research. I would love for Zamboni to be correct – if we can essentially cure MS with a one-time procedure that would be a huge boon to MS patients and save billions."

From Science Based medicine.
    Dec. 23, 2009

[This Message was Edited on 12/27/2009]