any thrift store shoppers out there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Nov 23, 2005.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Just wondering if any of you shop at thrift stores. I love going on a good day, and finding cool stuff really cheap. I am a bargain hunter. I just got two beautiful brass oval victorian picture frames. They are approx. 11 X 9 in size. I only paid $2.50 for each. I have seen them on a auction site selling for over $15.00 each. Of course these are mine, I would not sell them. I collect victorian stuff, so they will go on the wall. I am working on counted cross stitch patterns for them. Just wondering, God bless, Julie
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Just love a bargain. I find lots of decorating items that I just would never buy, but find them at a thrift store or garage sale and I am thrilled. It's fun, huh??
    God Bless you, too.
    Janice
  3. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

I love to bargain shop. I hardly ever pay full price for anything. Last year I found a shirt at wal mart I really liked but it was not on sale. It was only 10.-- something and I bought it but that was only one time last year.lol I know that if I wait it will go on sale or I will find something like it at the thrift store. I get alot of my kids stuff at a kids used store. Mostly name brands too. Why pay 20 dollors for a skirt I can pay 2.00 for. I buy most of their shose new but on sale. Boys can relly trash shose.

I love victorian things too. Safari for my bedroom. Rose garden for my bathroom.

M
  4. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I love "Junking". I try to go as often as I can. I do resell on Ebay things that I find. I do children's clothes like Gymboree-Baby Lulu-Boutique brands and try not to keep it all for my daughter. It is so much fun to search for items. I also love those garage sales. I grew up going "Junking".

Trish :)
  5. silky17

silky17 New Member

I love finding the things I need to decorate. I clean it up ,paint it maybe whatever and it satisfies me. To bad allot of us don't live close to one another or we would be thrift shopping constant. What kind of things sell good on Ebay?

Debbie
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I find myself looking up stuff that I see at thrift stores. I myself have mostly bought my cross stitch patterns on ebay, but also get other stuff, almost anything victorian. Its fun to go look, then go home and check things out on ebay. The only problem with that is if I go back to get the item, it might be already gone. Now that I know how to sell on ebay, I will be looking harder for stuff. On a good day when the pain isnt too bad, I can do a lot on the internet. I would almost like to start an internet site for people to list what they are looking for and see if I could find it at a thrift store, or garage sale. Oh well. Glad to hear from others that like to bargain shop. God bless, Julie
  7. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I love "op shopping" as we call them here in oz always open for a bargain
    Linda
  8. jennypee

jennypee New Member

Me too! I collect victorian stuff, and victorian 60's stuff, and lots of colored glass. Mostly peach or amber Tiara sandwich glass and some Avon Ruby Cape Cod.

Oh, and amberina glass pieces, regardless of the pattern.

I love antiquing for furniture too.
  9. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Tomorrow is half price day at several of my favorite thrift stores. I hope and pray that I am able to go. A lot depends on how bad my pain is. Its sad that is the only thing that I get excited about, besides seeing my granddaughter. I dont get to see her very much, her mom has schophrenia and is pregnant with her third baby by another "boy". Anyway its nice to talk about something fun, I dont have much. Think good thoughts for me.
    I am looking for a victorian sofa, everybody wish really hard that I find one, ha-ha. God bless, Julie
  10. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I cant sleep for the excitment about tomorrow. I hope to find that victorian sofa, ha-ha. I dont have the money for that, but finding victorian knick-knacks are just as much fun.
    Anyone else going out in the shopping mayham tomorrow for all the sales. Its a good thing I tore up my credit cards in 1984, because I would charge to the limit tomorrow. The new paper is full of bargains.
    God bless, Julie
  11. bellagirlc4

bellagirlc4 New Member

They are my malls!Dollar store, family dollar, dollar general, you name it ,I'm there.
  12. lease79

lease79 New Member

Another one here that LOOOOOOVES Op Shopping :p
    Most of my kids clothing is from Op Shops & mine too ;) I love having them in designer wear that never costs me over $2.50 a piece ;)
  13. Empower

Empower New Member

Me me me!

On good days I go to Goodwill and the Thrift SHop

I have found many beautiful things at Goodwill, unbelievable...and on the 3rd Sat of the months, everything is 1/2 off!
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

Yesterday my family commented how nice the Thanksgiving table looked. I am proud to say I decorated the entire thing with stuff purchased at the dollar store. And it didn't look it. We had a beautiful gold tablecloth topped with a brown and gold runner and placements, two beautiful candles in crystal candleholders, and gold fabric napkins to match. The only thing I splurged on were fresh flowers.

I'm now working on getting things for my Christmas table. I love going to the dollar stores. There is also a Salvation Army store and a Goodwill Store next town over from me, and I plan on checking those out too.

I buy all my greeting cards at the dollar store as they are half price there. I got my Christmas cards there last year and this year too.

Michelle
  15. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I think God has a really good sense of humor. I said on one of my eairlier posts that I would love to find a victorian sofa. Ok I dont have the money, but I did find one. It wasnt the exact style I want, but it was from the 1800's and I bet someone will buy it up fast. They had it priced at $400.00. Oh it was so pretty. You could tell by looking at it, that someone had taken really good care of it, and as old as it was thats hard to believe. Just had to post about it, I laughed when I saw it, after saying that I would love to find one. God bless, Julie
  16. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

Yes, I shop thrift stores and yard/garage sales. This year I bought 4 (like new) wool blazers. Altogether I paid around $30 and that includes dry cleaning. I am quite pleased to add 4 good looking items to my wardrobe for less than half the price that one of them would be when new.
    Gwen
  17. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

A favorite passtime. I like to think of it as "cheap entertainment with prizes." ;)
  18. km

km New Member

hello,we had to evacuate to tyler area due to hurricane rita;while there we moved at least 4 times;but they were all lovely places and we had great hosts.when we discovered our apt. was destroyed and that we lost everything we moved to the kerrvile area.anyway we found great thrift shops here and have replaced most of our things from them.we did not get a great deal of help here but we did get some things and i love it here;it is beautiful.i would much rather be here and receiving little help than be home in a tent or travel trailer getting lots of help!!!besides the weather here is great,the air quaility is wonderful(no stinky refinerys),and besides all that the thrift stores are GREAT!!!!I LOVE IT HERE.km
    I,will be going to the thrift shops again today!!! and we found one to volunteer at for a couple hours a day,once or twice a week!!!!HAVE FUN THRIFT SHOPPING EVERYONE!!!!!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND GOD BLESS...
  19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Yep, they are the greatest! We have a limited number in our area, but they are still fun to shop and I do find good bargains.

Two years ago I went to spend a week with my cousin; she and I spent our days going to thrift stores in Northern San Diego County, CA. What a blast we had and what great buys. It was such a fun week.

I love getting books there...buy them, read them, donate them back....!

Maybe I'll peak in a couple today. (-:

Happy Bargain Hunting, all!

Sue
  20. sdown

sdown New Member

I love garage sales. Luckily, I live in a big city, Calgary, Alberta and there are lots of them. We have almost a million people living here now and lots of garage sales to choose from. I once got a 24K gold miniature vase made in Greece for $8.00 at an estate garage sale. Sometimes near the end of the day people give things away or mark down the price. I also like going on a Friday night because you get first choice. Usually by Sunday afternoon all the good stuff is gone. Saturdays are good days but you usually have to go before 2:00 pm again to get the good stuff. I buy Xmas decorations at garage sales in the summer. What great deals! Our garage sales usually start in May and go till October.

Sandy