Any tips for those of us who have to work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Princessraye, May 10, 2003.

1. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Hi

I have read a lot of posts and it seems most writers do not work outside of their homes, but I am sure some people must . I am a single person who has no choice but to work. It is pure hell to say the least. Does anyone have anything they do which makes it more bearable? I would appreciate any tips you have regarding making working and commuting more bearable and also, do you have tips for getting done what must be done at home? (like laundry, groceries, cleaning, etc)
    Thanks !
  2. bakron

bakron New Member

I work full-time as a supervisor of public health nursing in our local area. What I find that helps me is:

Taking my medications Celexa (antidepressant), Ultracet (pain medication) by 7:00 PM.
    Taking my Neurontin at 9:00 PM.
    Forcing myself to go to bed early – I try to right after I take the Neurontin.
    Making myself stay in bed if I wake up so that I may fall back to sleep.
    Getting up in the AM and taking a nice hot shower.
    Taking my multi-vitamins and minerals in the AM.
    Eating breakfast, even if I don’t feel like it.
    Taking Motrin mid-morning if needed and again mid-afternoon if needed, and taking a good stretch break every 2 hours through-out the day.

If you stick to a regimen, you’ll be more likely to have fewer days that are totally unbearable. However, if you absolutely cannot make it through a day, give the “boss” a call and request an early time off to go home and take needed pain medication and a nap. I’ve done the above, and will continue the routine as long as I am able to. It’s not easy; many times I’m tempted to “call in.” Many times I just “have to make myself do it.”

I hope this helps you. The main theme is to keep a routine schedule as much as possible, allowing your body the rest it needs.

I had to edit as I left out suggestions for getting the household chores done! I would stay "routine" plays a role here again. I try to make lists for groceries and make as few trips as possible to stores, etc. As far as housecleaning, I do what I can do when I get home if I'm not too tired. If I'm too tired, the house doesn't get much attention. My husband understands, for which I am really grateful, and assures me that he didn't marry me to be a housekeeper. That doesn't lessen my guilt, but as I get older I find I have less guilt about things like not keeping an immaculate home, etc. I love the following:

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER
    (By ERMA BOMBECK)

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the "GOOD" living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I wasn't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn’t show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment realizing that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love you's" and more "I'm sorry's" but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute.....look at it and really see it ... live it ... and never give it back.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the tips as I am getting ramped up to return to work this summer. I haven't worked in 2 1/2 years, but thanks to my treatments, I think I have improved enough to return to work. Your tips will help me.

Love, Mikie
  4. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Hi! I work a full time job with about a 50 minute drive each way. Here are some things I do that help me:

-I get up earlier that it takes me to ready for work so that I can do some home tasks before going to work, when I have the most energy.

-I don't feel guilty about just chillin anymore--I have to!!

-I use the crock pot a lot, so I don't have much cookin to do when I get home.

- I make sleep a priority.

- I sometimes take cat naps during my lunch break, and eat at my desk. I jump in the car, lock the doors, and recline the seat. I don't worry about oversleeping, cuz I set an alarm on my Palm Pilot. Even if you don't actually fall asleep, it still helps. I used to worry about what people would think who might see me. Now I think "who cares?" My pride cannot come before my well-being! (of course, always put safety first -- it's not always safe these days to sleep in your car!!!) Another idea is to use a spare room at work where nobody would bother you.

- I am learning to say "I'm sorry, but I can't help you with that right now."

- I take breaks during housework, otherwise it catches up with me.

- I take my supplements.

- Hot baths at night rock! And they help me to sleep.

- And most importantly for me is *prayer.*
  5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I do pretty well with a routine for my medicine, eating, sleeping,etc.
    My house work seems to get pushed to the bottom of the schedule however :)

My mom had Fms/cfs also and my dad was great about it. He was a homebody so never minded if they were staying home. She about killed herself to keep a nice house for us but luckily didn't have to work unless she was up to it. She would work a year or so and then have to stop. But she had that income from dad to depend on. That is what is so hard for me. If I don't work, I will be homeless and that is very stressful.

My mom is an Erma Bombeck fan too :)
    Thanks again
  6. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Thanks for all the tips.

I don't dare tell my coworkers about my illness. I did that at one job and for the most part they were very cruel so now I keep it to myself.

PRAYER??? Couldn't make it through a day without it :)
    Thanks