Any tips/Natural Remedies/or Medicine for GERD & ACID REFLEX

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DoveL, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any products that can 'cure' GERD or Acid Reflex?

I have been using some home remedies for 'temporary' relief such as Baking soda & honey. They only help for a short period of time.

I also take probiotics.

Any tips or products that have helped 'heal' the stomach please let me know.

I need to get to a Gastro Dr. soon but I am pretty sure I have GERD and ACID REFLEX (I have CFS, FMS & IBS). The gerd is pretty debilitating. It is hard to eat anything, and does not go away. (at first it was only once in a while, but now it seems that it is hear to stay!)

I hear that Aloe Juice is good.
    Any suggestions (or even medications) that helped would be appreciated!

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Dovel.

Many, and perhaps most cases of GERD are due to not enough stomach acid, rather than too much. In CFS, stomach acid production is low, in my hypothesis because the parietal cells in the stomach are depleted in glutathione. This lowers the ATP production by their mitochondria, and that causes an "energy crisis" for the proton pumps, so that they cannot move hydrogen ions (to form hydrochoric acid) into the stomach very well against the large concentration gradient.

You can test to see whether your stomach acid is low by doing the following on an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning: drink a glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda. Time how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped within two minutes, you have low stomach acid.

A short-term fix for this is to take betaine-HCl with meals, raising the dosage one pill at a time with successive meals, until you experience a warm feeling in your stomach. Then back off one pill and use that dosage with each meal.

Another short-term fix is to take the dilute hydrochloric acid product offered by a supplier that I can't cite here, according to board rules.

Another short-term fix is to drink some lemon juice with meals. If you do this, use a straw and flush your teeth afterward, to avoid damaging the enamel on your teeth with the citric acid, which is a chelator for calcium.

The longer-term solution is to raise your glutathione level by lifting the partial block of the methylation cycle. I have posted the protocol for this several times, and you can probably find it in the archives. Also, ProHealth offers an earlier version of the methylation protocol I have suggested. (I am not financially involved with this.)

Best regards,

3. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

big pharma would have you think you need the little purple pill to solve all your problems. instead i suggest you start treating your digestive track--the natural way,in which it was designed to work. you will need a lot of probiotics, yogurt, fiber, enzymes, and essential fatty acids...also scrutinize your thyroid findings--myself and a host of friends suffered for years with treatment resistent gerd--only to find out for ourselves--we had subclinical hypothyroid--as soon as i started my armour thyroid my gerd disappeared! of course, i had to figure it out all on my own.Not one of the many doctors i visited could figure it out--let alone even know acid reflux could be a major symptom of low thyroid function. one endocrinologist told me--all the organs in the body work separtely--can you believe such ignorance. i am appalled...

Also be aware of candida albicans--

Some people who helped me--rod burreson of roex vitamins--knows a great deal about digestive woes--beyond health--raymond francis---