Any tips on communicating vision problems to eye doc?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Oct 12, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

Have appointment Monday AM with Opthalmologist. Have already been cleared on neuro disorders. Any tips on how to communicate vision problems with fibro to doctor? Can't stand driving anymore unless it's a cloudy day. The shadows from trees and moving objects from the side make me sick. After 20 mins of them I'm into the migraine mode. Is there a specific disorder(s) he should be looking for. I need to be very clear with him because his notes go towards my disability claim. Can't take more than 15 mins on computers either. Also had to give up interstate driving - two much activity at once. I can't drive well enough to trust going to and from work anymore. Sunglasses, even those with side protection don't help. Thanks a bunch - enjoy something today!!
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

Have appointment Monday AM with Opthalmologist. Have already been cleared on neuro disorders. Any tips on how to communicate vision problems with fibro to doctor? Can't stand driving anymore unless it's a cloudy day. The shadows from trees and moving objects from the side make me sick. After 20 mins of them I'm into the migraine mode. Is there a specific disorder(s) he should be looking for. I need to be very clear with him because his notes go towards my disability claim. Can't take more than 15 mins on computers either. Also had to give up interstate driving - two much activity at once. I can't drive well enough to trust going to and from work anymore. Sunglasses, even those with side protection don't help. Thanks a bunch - enjoy something today!!
  3. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

You have seen a neurologist? I started having visions trouble at the beginning of the summer. Had trouble driving, looked as though I was looking thru wavy glass when driving, lightening strikes in front of my eyes, daily headaches, headaches that would not be releived from lying down, they actually got worse. Felt as though my circulation was being chocked off at my jugular. My eyelids felt swelled and my eyeballs felt like they were popping out. I thought I needed glasses. Went to the eye doc and they did the tests. Optic nerves were swollen and my field of vision was impaired. I was dx'ed with a Pseudo tumor cerebri. Tumor without the growth which would eventually cause blindness without treatment. My body produces too much spinal fluid and can't be absorbed. So there is a build up and it puts pressure on the optic nerves. Spinal tap, weight loss and fluid pills have improved my condition. But my eye doc was the one who dx'ed it. Neurologist said that the eye docs are the ones that see it first. Did not show up on 3 mri xrays. As far as what to tell your eye doc, make a list, it does not have to sound professional, just tell him what it feels like. Feel like you eyes are crossing? That is what I told mine. Seeing floaty things or lightning strikes. That is what I saw and that is how I told him. Use simple language he will get it. Let us know what he says.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  4. contessa

contessa New Member

Started with neurologist which ruled out neuro based problems. My response levels showed nothing significant that would indicate an brain problem. She did diagnose me with migraines which really helped increase disb chances. Also got me onto myofascial release massage, which has helped my neck a lot. No more grinding bones. She suggested the eye doc next. My left eye feels like its focusing to right and my right one feels like it's trying to cross over to the left. I stagger when I walk a lot now and I'm wondering if the balance problems are related to my vision. I can't even watch my cats/dog wiggle without losing it. I am still able to read, probably because the book is stable and I'm able to focus. With the computer it's like florencent lighting-that damn minute jiggling.
  5. latracy

latracy New Member

I too am going to the eye doctor tomorrow. I have been having the same problems with my eyes. I am having headaches, but there is pressure and pain in my eyes. After some time reading or computering, my eyes can't focus. I saw this site on "Eye problems in ME/CFS" that talks about Uveitis. Check it out, I going to bring the article to the doctor. I hope you find out what is wrong, and if you do, let me know. latracy
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

The eye doc I saw dismissed me & said that nothing was wrong. I have the same symptoms as poodlegirl, + more.
    I had an MRI & it showed increased fluid along the optical nerves??? Extending right up into my brain. Neuro said that he'd only seen it once before ever.
    Was supposed to have follow up MRI's six monthly, but a partner at the place said that it was fine & I was dismissed again AGGHH!

Lease
  7. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have to have the UV added to all my glasses, even my regular glasses that I watch TV with has them, in casse I have to wear them outside.

I get Blurry eye's from reading and I don't need reading glasses. The last eye exam showed that my Rx's hadn't changed much so I'm wating till the first of next year to get new ones.

There's a site by .....Dr. Devin Starlanyl....., if you type her name into the.... search engine of your computer.. it'll give you some sites for her, look for one that's off of an.... optho. link...., click on her topic of ...."What Your Eye Doctor Should Know"............

I printed this out and take it with me to all Eye Doctor appt's. in case the regular Doc is off on vacation or not available. Sure cuts through all the red tape with them, and I was surprised that so far, all 3 Doc.s already knew about it.

Good luck,
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

cant seem to find it. What seach did you use?
    Carlacat
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Devin Starlanyl, I have AOL with Google, so maybe try Google first then her name.

There are 1030 sites for her.
    My favorite is the Revised Hand-out site.
    This is such a Lame way of getting help to people, before we could just type in the site, which has a link to this site by the way, that's how I ended up here 3 years ago, off of another site.
    use a http: then add a www and don't forget tne . then use sover then another . then net then use a /~
    then add devstar to it and maybe that will work.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  10. LynneH

LynneH New Member

Sharon, that was a creative way to get her to the website. I hope it won't get deleted! Her diagnostics are some of the most comprehensive I've seen and I hope people can go take a look at them. The eye diagnostic certainly explained alot of my eye problems...floaters, ocular migraines, eyes working independantly of each other, etc.
    LynneH
  11. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I also have found some great Articles here is this library by Dr. Starlanyl, it's titled.
    "Devin Starlanyl on Medication for Fibromyalgia"
    05-25-2001

Talks about the trigger points that cause the eye vision problems, not all are cause by a seizure-like effect.
    I did read where Beta-carotene helps with this problem when it is a seizure-like effect that happens when you look at patterns, or as you mentioned, Contessa, the shadows of trees. I had this bad when I was driving Semi's, so I only drove during the day. I was undx back then.

Sincerely
    kredca/sharon
  12. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I work for 2 different optometrist. They are aware of my FMS. I went a few weeks with my entire eyball hurting and aching more when I cut my eyes to the side. This is the muscles holding them, in a flare from FMS.

As far as UV, it is definately recommended for outdoors. Anti reflective coating is what we need for computer vision and reduce the glare from lights, nightlights, and flourescent lighting. It reduces glare, thus relieves strain on our eyes. Be sure to blink when using computer so your eyes won't dry out leading to uveitis and such other eye problems.

My vision was 20/20, and I am 38 now. But I have the blurring, and dryness alot lately. Being on steroids and other meds is alot of my vision problems, but I am also experiencing blood sugar problems now! But mostly my eyes are just plain tired, like the rest of my body and burn alot due to low grade fevers.

kaymac