ANY TIPS ON WHAT VITAMINS AND HOW MUCH ARE GOOD FOR FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judee, Oct 24, 2002.

1. judee

judee New Member

My daughter has had no luck with any medications. I know that different meds work for different people but is there a general positive mix of vitamins that people have found helpful in reducing their symptoms? Any one or more that we should focus on other than a regular multivitamin?
    Judee
  2. judee

judee New Member

My daughter has had no luck with any medications. I know that different meds work for different people but is there a general positive mix of vitamins that people have found helpful in reducing their symptoms? Any one or more that we should focus on other than a regular multivitamin?
    Judee
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Try using the search feature to find the many previous posts on this for more ideas.
    This is what I take every day:
    1.A mega-multi-vitamin w/minerals and many added antioxidants which includes at least 50 mgs. of the major B-vitamins, and at least 400 IU of Vit. E., w/meals twice daily.
    2. 1,200 mgs. Calcium Citrate, w/meals, div. into two daily doses.
    3. 540 mgs. Magnesium Citrate, at bedtime
    4. 60 mgs. COQ10
    5. Probiotics, 1 cap twice daily
    6. Digestive enzymes with each meal
    7. Octacosanol, 1 cap daily
    8. Acetyl-L-Carnatine, 1 cap daily
    9. GABA - 750 mgs. at dinner
    10. Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM - 1-2 caps, twice a day.

In my opinion, the Magnesium is absolutely essential (at least 350 mgs. daily), maybe even more than the Multi.
    #10 and # 7 are not needed if you do not also have arthritis or high heart attack risk ratios.
    #4 and #8 are not essential unless you have a Mitral Valve Prolapse as 75% of FMS pts. do.
    # 5 is not essential if you have no sugar cravings and no yeast problem, and #6 is not essential if you can eat anything and have no Irritable Bowel problems.
    #9 should probably not be taken if you are taking one of the expensive drug versions of it (ie. Neurontin or Gabapentin), and maybe not if you have CFS. FMS pts. are proven to be low in GABA, but I don't know about CFS.
    The calcium in #2 is because I am past menopause, and also because the overproduction of Cortisol by FMS pts. makes us prone to osteoporosis and I am already in the first stage (osteopenia) despite no family history and exercising all my life and avoiding sodas. I believe CFS pts. produce too little Cortisol, so this may not be needed if that's your diagnosis, esp. if you are under 40 and get plenty of dairy or green veggies daily.

Best of luck finding out what works for you. Klutzo