Any tips to minimize duration of a flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by praisingHim, Jun 10, 2003.

1. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Hey everyone. Hope this post find you feeling okay today. Just wondering if anyone has tips on lessoning the frequency or length of a flare, especially when you feel one coming on. I find that getting more sleep helps. What are your first signs of a flare? Mine is the malaise, just feel sick all over feeling. Yuck!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you are talking about FM, mine will start with sharp pain in my back, sort of like a lighting strike. Then usually the next morning is when it really hits.

Klutzo taught me that when I feel the pain, to take whatever you take for pain. Myself its Advil gel capsules (OTC) am allergic to prescription pain pills, and low dose of Xanax. I have waded off a flare like this.

I will also take a Peroxide and Epson Salts bath. That always helps.

Of course we are all different, but sometimes we find a common denominator...................

Shalom, Shirl
  3. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi praisingHim~~When I feel a flare coming on I feel flu-like, extremely exhausted, everything aches, and fibro-fog is heavy. I start dropping things, bumping into things, memory is depleted, and I don't feel like doing anything.

Though I have to work 3 days a week as I am my sole financial support--I find that the best thing I can do is just STOP, REST, take my meds, pamper myself, take long, comfortably hot soaks in essential oils and epsom salts, de-stress, eat well, go with the flow, and just ride it out. Take the path of least resistence. I seem to recover more quickly that way.

However, having to work throws a monkey wrench into that healing ritual, and I either have to miss work or drag myself through it while working which aggitates the flare and makes it worse and last longer.

But I would say RESTING is the primary key. However, everyone has to find out what works best for them. I hope you can develop a host of healing rituals that work for you. I keep a "Comfort Box" for flares & sick days which is filled with things I find soothing, comforting, nurturing, and uplifting. It is like a Flare First Aide Kit for the Body and Soul.

Take care of yourself, and I hope Good Days are coming your way. Blessings to you, Carol....

4. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Thanks for your responses. I will bump this. This is very interesting and could be helpful to others. Maybe we will get more responses. Have a blessed day!