any tried phoenix rising yoga?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Feb 5, 2003.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Something called phoenix rising yoga is being offered in my town. After reading posts and articles about how yoga can help CF (I don't have fibromyalgia really), and looking at different kinds (how confusing!) I'm looking into the different types.

Phoenix Rising sounds interesting because it sounds like it would directly address mind/body connections. Below is a partial description of what I read about it (hope it's okay to print this since I'm not giving a website):

"It is client centered and non-prescriptive. This is a very important statement and one that is pivotal in the training of Phoenix Rising Practitioners. In other words we don't make a diagnosis and then offer a treatment. Instead we help the client determine what is happening for them in their body and in their life and to determine what they might want to change and the ways to go about it.

"It does take into account physical issues as well as mental, emotional and spiritual - but from the perspective that they are all linked and not separate. So the statement- "you can fix your sciatica by doing this posture three times a day" is NOT what you would ever be likely to hear from a Phoenix Rising practitioner. Its true there might be postures that are good for sciatica - but the underlying question is.... "what unique manifestation of life energy led to the creation of the sciatic condition? And to what extent does this come form a spiritual or mental dissonance as well as the physical"

"And I would be game to bet that for every person in the world with sciatica the answer to that question is going to be different from anyone else's answer even though they share the same basic diagnosis - sciatica. And I believe the same applies to many other conditions as well.

"Phoenix Rising Yoga therapy is also based on an approach to yoga that focuses on working from the inside out and paying less attention to "form" and more attention to "essence." Its not about how good you look or how well you can perform an asana. Its more about what happens to you in all aspects of your being while you are engaging the asana and being able to notice and distinguish the subtleties in body, mind and spirit - then using this information as awareness on which to evaluate and possibly change your life."

Anybody know about or try this type of yoga??
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It does sound promising. I'm not all that happy with the special Yoga class for FMS'ers that I'm taking, but I have three more sessions, so I guess I'll finish it out.

I like to do the Yoga to a tape made by a female doc. It's gently and puts a lot of emphasis on breathing.

I'm a strong believer in the mind/body/spirit connection myself.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]