Any Tummy Troubles with St. John's Wort?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jul 21, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Need to start taking St. John's Wort and wondering if it causes any stomach distress? Mine is so sensitive. I was told to start at 120 mg and work up to double.

Any brands you can recommend?

Thanks,
    T
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I was told that it can affect your liver function, which in turn can upset your stomach.

I wish I could use it, but ........

If I were to suggest anything, it would be to first try the Organic Tea & see how you do on that.

LIGHT*********carole
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've gotten a little tummy irritation taking my capsules on an empty stomache, though sometimes I can get away w/ it. I have IBS, so sometimes my gut is a bit raw. Its not so much the St. John's itself, it doesn't contain anything that specifically is bad for the gut, but its an herb and taking any herbs in powder/capsule form can be irritating to a very tender gut. I also don't know of any liver problems it can cause, its actually an immune enhancer and you may find it surprisingly helps alot w/ PMS, cramps and overall to lower pain, its helped me these ways. I take it for anxiety that I get as a side effect of my a.d., Wellbutrin.

Most brands are good, but I can tell you which one is useless, thats Jamaison, but I don't like their line at all, esp. their vitamins, the B's are sythetic and cause me urethral irritation every time.

Jeanne
  4. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

Tania---

I have not taken St. Johns Wort in awhile, but I do remember that I experienced dizziness which in turn gave me nausea.

Love and hugs,

AbbeyMae
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Anyone else that this herb?

T
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I take it. I also have an extremely sensitive stomach and it does not irritate my stomach at all.

My brand is Nature's Answer.

I've never heard anything about liver damage either.

Worth a shot!

scapper

7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

stopped and it didn'thelp my depression..

jodie

[ advertisement ]