Any Weight loss ideas???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by halo52208, Mar 29, 2006.

1. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

I can't take anymore weight on, my knees can't handle it, let alone my whole body.

I had a different post listing all my meds but I went to edit it and deleted it.

I am to tired to type it all out again.

I just need some ideas to stop my weight. I had my thyroid checked and they said it was fine. Everything was fine on the blood test.

My appitiete hasn't increased either.

I love watermelon and have at it for lunch before at work, in hopes it would help me lose weight. But somewhere on here I saw that it wasn't good for people with fm. So now I don't know if I should eat it or not.

Any ideas welcomed.

Halo
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I don't know if you like chicken or not, but 2 years ago I had abdomminal surgery and was restricked to what I was able to eat for 2 months.

Here's a list of what I was allowed to eat, mind you that I was so sick of chicken by the end, that I refused to eat it for months.

Eggs
    Chicken , no skin
    Fish
    potatoes

In that 2 months I lost over 25 lbs. Now when ever I need to lose a little weight I go back to that menu and off it comes.

Pretty soon I'll be back to eating it again for another month. My goal is to get back 175. I'm currently 195.

Jake
  3. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

Those are my favorite foods. I just might try that, what do I have to lose... except 80 pounds.lol

Halo
  4. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

There are small things that I do when I want to lose some weight. Instead of mayo on sand. I eat mustard. No butter on my bread, plenty of water (no pop not even diet) no eating after six. Always look at calories and fat grams especially when eating sweets. If I have to have sweets, I will go for peppermint patties or if it is a cake I want, I will eat twinkies or angel food. Instead of eating biscuits I will eat toast. I know that they say to eat breakfast but I find that if I eat before 12 or 1 p.m. I eat all day. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning for some reason I don't want to eat anhything after this. Instead of deep frying fries I bake them. I eat but I cut out calories anyway that I can. For me I find that I can eat but I just eat foods that are lower in fat and calories.
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hi there Halo,
    I am on the candida diet and loss 5 lbs just like that and did not even need to lose weight. If you give up sugar, white bread, white pasta etc. it would probly help.
    Good Luck!!
  6. berrytired

berrytired New Member

What about joining a Jenny Craig?
  7. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

THe GI diet is great - and healthy too.

Your body needs protein and good fat at each meal, or snack. Most western diets are 80% carbs, and this is what makes you fat.

Try having eggs on wholegrain toast for breakfast, or buy some protein powder and make a smoothie with fruit and yoghurt.

For lunch, the pita pockets with tuna that someone else suggested would be perfect. If you are eating out, sushi and sashimi are good.

For dinner, cut out complex carbs (you dont have time left in the day to burn them off, and they will be stored as fat) ie potatoes, rice, bread, pasta. Stick to lean meat or fish and veges or salad.

For snacks, fresh fruit with a small handful of nuts eg apple and 8 almonds. The almonds will lower the GI of the entire snack. Fruit like pineapple, ripe bananas, watermelon etc have a high GI, so keep those to a minimum. Stone fruits and apples and oranges are much better, with a lower GI. There are also some good protein bars around (if you can afford them) - just make sure the carb content is not too high.

Personally, I have found that eating about 6 or 7 times a day has helped me keep weight off - and I have been unable to exercise for the last 9 months. I'm about 10 pounds heavier than my normal weight, but I havent gained anymore, and I really thought I would. I'm pretty sure I'm stable at this weight even with my low activity levels.

By the way, I dont beleive the Atkins diet is healthy, as it cuts out too many carbs - which you do need, and it contains alot of saturated fat, which is not healthy for your heart.

Someone earlier mentioned that they cannot eat before 1pm. I used to be like this too, however I forced myself to start eating breakfast, and now its the first thing I do when I get up. There is ALOT of research that tells us you need to eat first thing to get your metabolism working. If you dont eat till lunchtime your body will think its starving, and your metabolism will drop, meaning you will find it more difficult to lose weight.

Also - I know its hard, but try not to put too bigger demand on yourself in terms of weight loss. Aim for a small weight loss each week (or to not gain) say 1/2 pound. Think of it as a lifestyle change - this is your new way of eating, and the weight will come off slowly and for good.

Good luck!
  8. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Hi - the Zone Diet is one of the few good ones. It's balanced and healthy. It's a lifestyle, not a quick fix hop-on/hop-off. If you can stick to it for a couple weeks your cravings should fade and it'll be easier and easier when you say no to too much food/unhealthy food, and yes to the right amount of food/healthy foods. People describe it as low-carb but it's not - it's just today's world has so MANY carbs because of junk foods. It's focus is lots of healthy lean protein, fruits and veggies, healthy sources of fat, and lots of water. It makes my whole body feel better and healthier - I'll never go back. It makes me feel like a new woman! :D
    Good luck :) Jane
  9. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

for all your help. I feel I am armed with lots of ideas for a better and healthier me.

That sucks about the watermelon. I just love the stuff and how it keeps me rehydrated. But I see how the sugar would mess me up.

You guys are the greatest. Thank You.

Halo
  10. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I had gastric bypass and have lost over 100 pounds. I eat a high protein/low carb meal plan. Stay away from refined foods, especially the "white" ones....rice, pasta, flour, etc. Eat whole grains, not multi-grains. A mix of the Atkins and South Beach plans works well. Plus I take alot of vitamins and supplements, and I drink alot of water.

Good luck! The best way to look at this is as a life change, not a "diet".
  11. CountryRocker

CountryRocker New Member

I lost 40 pounds in 3 months eating low fat Chinese food 5 times a week. After that I took corn syrup out of my diet and lost more weight. If you look at labels you'll find dextrose and corn syrup in almost everything in the store, even sliced meats. Other countries don't put the sweetners in foods like we do and in a case like sliced meats I don't understand why we put up with it as a society and let them add all of this high calorie junk to our food. We're set up to be an overweight society here in the US.
  12. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

I agree about us setting ourselves up to be overweight. We can tell by the grocery bill when I'm eating healthier foods. I think that's also why we are so overweight, because the healthier stuff cost more. We have so many families that can't afford the healthier stuff, so they are forced to eat the junk foods.

I know how hard it is to find sugar free foods. I had to go with out for a few years when I was younger. If is doesn't have sugar, it's got it's cousins in it(frutose ect). I work in a grocery store that sell fresh chinese food. That's probably while all the workers in there are skinny. :) Thank you for your advice.

Donnaeil, I wish I had a place to do water arobics. I live in a small town and no indoor pool. It's to far to do it in the city. But after our daughter graduates we are moving back to the city and I will check it out then. Thanks for the advice.

Halo
  13. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I am doing the South Beach Diet. It is written by a cardiologist and within the first few days of being on it my carb/sugar cravings disappeared. I used to eat in the evening as well and haven't done that for almost 2 weeks now. I have lost 11 pounds so far and every recipe I have made from their books, my family has just loved. It is a very healthy way of eating. No junk, no carbs, no sugar,cornsyrup, no preservatives. After the first 2 weeks you can slowly introduce healthy carbs and fruit one by one just like you introduced solids to a baby. Not only will you lose weight and eat better but you may find out what foods your body is okay with and not okay with. It is all just pure natural foods.
    You might want to check it out. Just a thought
    Take care
    Sandy
  14. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Unicornk is right on! that's the way I do it. Try and get moving and stay away from alot of sugar also. Increase your protein.