Any working nurses on the board??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Jan 27, 2006.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I am in nursing school right now. When I started in the fall of 2004 I was in remission and feeling pretty good ( for me!).

This week during clinicals - I worked 2 days in a row, I feel like a mess. I'm SO tired, my legs ached after I came home from the hospital, I'm scared for the future.

I want to be a nurse so badly, to feel good, and to help sick people on a daily basis.

I was wondering how many of you are working nurses with CFIDS or Fibro.

Thanks,
    meow
  2. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

i am a lactation consultant working in a hospital. i have cfids and fibro. i work 3 part time jobs because i am a single mom with 3 kids, 2 in college, and their dad pays nothing for that.

yesterday i worked 11 1/2 hrs at a skills fair, and now work today, sat thru wed. mondays i work 3 jobs, tues and wed just 2. i have to, no choice. only a very choice few people at work know about the fibro or cfids.

i take only voltaran for muscle/joint pain. that's it. i sometimes struggle to stay awake at work, and can sometimes sneek a nap in late in the afternoon after work.

i try to exercise whether i want to or not, because it really helps my attitude. i have 2 dogs to walk, and a treadmill.

"ya gotta do, what ya gotta do" is my motto

warmly,
    maggie
  3. brie

brie New Member

I just couldn't go on anymore.I have cf/fm plus all the little things that come with it such as anemia, Gerd and migraines. I applied for ss 2 years ago and was notified yesterday that they ruled favorable for me.Thank you God. I did try for the longest to do my job but a nurse's job is for the most part physically exhausting mentally as well. When your body and mind are just too tired and you need the help ... it's time to step down. I hate to say this but I can't imagine anyone that is in a full blown attack of chf/fm being able to do nursing.But what is awful is, this is your chosen profession before the diease ...it's all you have ever did ...now what do you do. Good luck to anyone that has to do this while sick .. you will certainly be in my prayers
  4. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

& had to leave the profession in 1994, as the pain was "getting" to me. Pushing med & treatment carts, helping transfer patients to/from wheelchairs, bed, etc. (I worked in a nursing home} When I first went into nursing, it was like you could spend a lot of time w/the patients, but about 5-6yrs. b4 I left it was getting so the nurses had to put themselves out there, plus do all the paper work that goes along w/it.

It was very fatigueing, then deal w/this dd on top of it. Perhaps if you would consider an industrial nurse, office nurse, school nurse, that wouldn't be too bad. But when you start getting into lifting, pushing, pulling,&/or holding limbs while applying compresses, creams, bandages, etc. That's what gets to you. I finally went on call at several facilities & then quit. Just couldn't do it anymore.

Sometimes the D.O.N. would put me on 6-7 days in a row..And some 12hr. ones. Don't mean to scare you, but once out in the REAL world of nursing, it slaps you in the face as to what they expect..

Look at all the aspects, & when you apply, be sure & ask what's expected, tho' they don't always tell you, as they want you to work there...lol...

Just my opinion, work in a facility, be it hospital or nursing home for 6mos. to a yr. for experience, then get out. Find a job as I mentioned above. Even a public health nurse would be something to consider...

Please take care of yourself..There is a lot of physical/mental stress in being a "nurse"....

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  5. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I was in charge of a 34unit alzheimers unit & it is as you say..Very stressful..Trying to redirect these folks tho'ts, & as to why they were there,always looking for an exit, spitting in your face at times when giving meds/food. Unreal...I had one gal that tho't she was still working in a hat shop in Milwaukee..I could relate to her, as I knew the store she worked in. She kept wanting to sell me a hat..But that's how alzheimers are.

So I would put down my work & talk w/her til she was redirected to another tho't. Then, of course the rest of the mornings work got behind. Never regretted taking the time to speak to them. And as you know, they would pete & repeat all day long, til nap time.

I'm fearful for my hubby as his parents, 2 aunts & uncles had the disease. I'm just hoping there will be a caring nurse as you & I to see to him, if this should take place.

The work is exhausting, but rewarding at the same time, it just got so the pain, vertigo, & fatigue were too much for me...

Love ya for what you do;
    Fifth
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I'm a nurse and had to quit working almost a year ago due to CFIDS. I go through times when I am barely able to take care of myself, but I plug along. Lately, I mostly read on here, can hardly sit at the computer. Like right now.... Love to all. Marie
  7. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I am an RN but I don't work as one. Haven't in 4 years.

I did just recently start working at a local scrapbook store parttime. Very easy and gives me a break from the kids.

There is NO way I could safely work as an RN now. I used to work ICU and now I have trouble remembering what the initials stand for!! LOL
  8. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I am a RN too. Used to work fulltime in pediatrics unit at a hospital, but due to declining health I changed jobs and have been a pediatric home health care for about 5 years now.

I work part-time 24-32 hrs/wk. I really love the work. It's not tough on my body and brain compared to previous work. I was a clinical nurse manager for burn unit years ago and also did a stint in hospice care.

Maybe once you get a year of experience you could look into home health care-it is a growing field in nursing. Please hang in there-you sound like the kind of nurse we need, as you are caring and want to help others.

I will probably go on disability in a year or two because of kidney failure and then dialysis. I'll miss the work and the personal, loving relationships I've developed with patients and their families.

Wish you the best!!!
    Sue
  9. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i'm a nurse and have fibro. i now work through an agency so i can set my own hours. i usually work 4 shifts a week and i work 3-11. i find that i get enough sleep this way and because it is agency work i can cancel if i'm having a flare. i would give you the advise to only commit to part time, you can always pick up extra hrs if your feeling good. once you have some experience think about agency because you can work in a way that your body can handle it. i work monday tuesday thursday and friday. not to many days in a row, and i get enough rest. you can make nursing work with this.
  10. angelstarr

angelstarr New Member

I will repost this as I am calmer and just out of work so too tired to fight with anyone.... I am 50 years old. I was a hairdresser for 25 years then went back to school to be an LPN. I am 1 semester away from RN but have to wait till next January to complete it. as the college around here is on an 4 semester term.

My mom has Cancer, I care for her days, and work 3-4 days a week on 3-11 in a 250 bed unit Nursing Home. Tonight I spent the night passing meds doing treatments and "keeping track of 42 residents we are on a locked floor. Sometimes I feel like the prizoner... BUT I love my people. THey are cute and all have their own special personalities.

I come home exhausted. I can only work 2 days in a row and then I usually get 1 or 2 off. sometimes more. THis week I am only working this weekend and next so I have 5 days off in between. Then I work 3 days and have a day in between and then 8 days off. so it isn't bad.

But like everyone says, the pay is poor and the young nurses are taking the jobs that end up burning them out quick. High stress whether you work in nursing home or hospital. Home care is alittle different.
    I love Hospice. I want to do that and am working at getting there.
    I have Fibro, Rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. I come home days and it takes a 20 min shower or bath to relax me enough to even think of bed.
    But Ido what I do because my husband cannot work and I need to get him to sign up for ssi.

but that is another story.
    Hang in there meowchowchow you will make it.

hugs
    ANgel/
  11. jaltair

jaltair New Member

There are so many areas of nursing to go into, and there are ways to help people every day without doing bedside nursing.

I'm 59 and have worked as a nurse for a long-time. I've worked in the hospitals, for home health, for a clinic, and am now doing public health as a PHN. I am so glad for choices that we have in working.

In addition, don't forget that you could go on and become a family nurse practitioner (FNP) and work directly with patients in a clinic setting. That's an area that I would have loved to have gone into but just couldn't face another couple of years in school to do it!

Another area, teaching. Many RN's have gone into teaching and enjoy a little slower pace.

Oh, yes. Can't forget school nursing. I have quite a number of friends in that area. They have summers off and all the holidays - great when you have children.

You will do great, meowchowchow! Training is always fatiguing, I remember. As a matter-of-fact, I was in nursing school when I got mono! What a drag that was. I was out of clinical for a number of weeks. Luckily, the teacher and school didn't insist that I make it up. Sad to say ... at present, many days I feel the way I did with the mono back then.

I manage to work by sheer determination sometimes. My job is supervising public health nurses who go into the field to follow-up on drug exposed and other high-risk infants, communicable diseases, high-risk pregnant women, etc. I love my job and have a remarkable supervisor who understands what FMS and CFS is about. My job is also a civil-service job with the county, so that provides some protection as far as my job security goes.

Stay with the program, good nurses who really care and want to help people are so desperately needed!

Warm hugs, Jeannette
  12. atowne

atowne New Member

now dx in Dec and had been working close to full time .. in a clinic in a hospital . I worked for 10 years in Long Term Care and couldnt think of doing that again at this point. The part time is hard enough and more than 2 days in a row is hard . But good luck as I am trying to figure out how Im going to work in the future . You guys are great and I appreciate this posts more than you could know
  13. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

Hi,
    I wanted to be an nurse ,since I was a girl.. But, I got married, to my first love, right out of High School . Then I started a family, didn't plan it, but had 5 kids,in about 12 yrs.

But, I did start to LVN school, when my youngest DD, started to school. MY oldest DD, was a senoir, in High School...

It was the roughest year of my life.... It was at a small hospital, and they put us to work on the floor, after 6 mths.of, book work.... We rotated each shift every two weeks, so could get off night shift , have a day off ,then go on day shift. I think they were seeing how tuff we were.. I sure wasn't that tuff, just stubborn. That was in 1981, and I worked till a couple of years ago.

I loved the person, to person, contact and feeling like I could make someone's life, a litle better. Most of the time, I felt like ,I just got through the day, though...

What I hated about nursing, is the flack I had to take off people, that were just having, a bad day. The Dr's, other nurses, aides, patients, and their families. I worked mostly on a Med surgical floor... Mostly orthopedic pts, that had knee & hip replacements. Now, I am a candidate for the knee replacements, and the hips are getting there.

I have severe OA, Osteoporosis, RA , Asthma, GERD, and FMS.... I did work as long as I could.. I would try to quit earlier, but everyone around me would be pushing me back to work.. I tried a lot of diff. types of jobs. Hospital floors, Nursing Homes, Home Health, State School, for retarded men... They were all stressful, but the Home Health was the easiest on me. Because ,it was more one, on one.. There is no way, I could do it again.. I am not physically , emotionally, or mentally able. I am too absent minded, my memory is terrible, and I am doing a lousy job, of taking care of me.. I am always forgetting my meds, or taking the wrong ones...

Sorry ,this was so long, hope I helped a little, with your decisions...................
    I started drawing my disability, last year, I am 62 ... I hope you do love your job ,and you get one ,that you can do w/o affecting your health, and well being... I would suggest a Doctors office, then you would never have to work holidays, or week-ends.
  14. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Hi I'm an RN, temporarily on medical leave

I was an LPN and have been an RN for five years. Love nursing but it has been exhausting for me.

I went into home care and for me it has been worse than hospital nursing. I felt it was a 24/7 job. Paperwork always seemed to be looming over my head.

I'm actually freaking out because I'm not sure what to do. I have a ten year old daughter and it's just me and her.

I don't know what kind of nursing I could handle at this point, I can never seem to get anywhere on time.

Well, that's been my experience so far

Take care everyone, Ritatheresa
  15. badshrimp

badshrimp New Member

I have been a nurse for 16 years and have had Fibro for 20. You can do this. If I can, anyone who is in this nightmare can. Do everything you know to do. Sleep when you can, lay off the low fat diet, it makes it worse, learn to say "no" when appropriate, and find an area of nursing that you can't live without. There are all kinds of areas that need us. Some are less taxing on the body than others, but are no less important. We need you. Please.