Anybody anemic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diricha, Sep 17, 2002.

1. diricha

diricha New Member

My hemoglobin has went from 10 down to 9 in 10 days. Had an iron level done today. The lab tech said I was very pale so she drew an extra tube of blood and did a CBC.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with FM yet. I have almost every symptom. The doctor is ruling out everything else first.
  2. diricha

diricha New Member

My hemoglobin has went from 10 down to 9 in 10 days. Had an iron level done today. The lab tech said I was very pale so she drew an extra tube of blood and did a CBC.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with FM yet. I have almost every symptom. The doctor is ruling out everything else first.
  3. PAT

PAT New Member

But 9 is pretty low though. Call your doc and find out your lab results within a day or two, and make sure you get an appointment to figure out what can be done for you. There are so many reasons for anemia, a lot of things to consider. They will look for internal bleeding of some sort if it goes down any more. For me, I have to stay on iron supplements. It gets really low with each prenancy, but so far is controllable with meds. Just make sure your doc keeps on top of things. My doc will have labs drawn sometimes and not even look at the results until I call her!
    You may have to make some dietary changes,but most importantly is finding out WHY you have the anemia. Good luck, hopefully you'll get some answers right away. patti G
  4. diricha

diricha New Member

5. diricha

diricha New Member

6. clprez

clprez New Member

I have been "borderline" anemic for years, and then last year I had both my hemoglobin and ferritin tested and it was quite low.

Ferritin is very important, because it shows your irons stores, and when that gets low, it takes a long time to build back up.

I have been taking iron pills now for almost every day the past year. I don't take the stuff that's out on the shelf near the vitamins. I go to the pharmacist and ask for Fe-Tinic 150 by Ethex. It is a Polysaccharide-Iron Complex. My body absorbs it much better, and it doesn't make me constipated.

It costs me $15 for 100 pills.

I would also like to bring up that you are not to take iron anytime near when you take calcium. Just to be on the safe side, you should take it on an empty stomach.

I was taking it was a number of prescriptions that I take with food, and the food I was eating was yogurt! I did this for 6 months, and had to have a bunch of GI tests done to see if there was some reason why I wasn't absorbing any iron. You would have thought that somebody would have asked if I was taking it with calcium as one of the first questions!

Carol
  7. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

anemic for 3 years. Had every test done known to man. Colonoscopy, transvaginal ultra sound, ( if THAT wasn't a fun time, omg) inumerable occult blood exams. Nothing showed up. I was just anemic. My hemoglobin was 8 right after I had a Nissan fundoplication. The surgeon got jacked at me for being anemic and not telling him.
    Long story short, I'm no longer anemic, it fixed itself, with no help whatsoever from the docs. Also with nary a diagnosis, ever.