Anybody Else Ever Get Thumb Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 21, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

This is probably a dumb question, and the answer probably is "no, nobody else has this," but since nobody really seems sure about just what is going on with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain, I thought I'd ask anyway.

Yesterday, my right thumb started hurting--a lot. Pain relievers don't seem to help, and it sure makes typing (and playing my MIDI keyboard tough! (I tend to do a lot of both over the course of most days.)

I have had pain in my wrists, especially the right one, for quite a while and have periodically worn a wrist brace for that. But I've never had anything like this before.

Could this be referred pain from a trigger point, or something like that? My "Survivors Guide" book shows a trigger point in the front of the neck with a referred pain area that seems to include both the thumb, wrist and forearm areas where I've been feeling pain, but I can't seem to locate such a trigger point on my own body (i.e., pressing around that area doesn't seem to aggravate the pain, and I can't find any "lumps" or "ropy bands".

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

This is probably a dumb question, and the answer probably is "no, nobody else has this," but since nobody really seems sure about just what is going on with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain, I thought I'd ask anyway.

Yesterday, my right thumb started hurting--a lot. Pain relievers don't seem to help, and it sure makes typing (and playing my MIDI keyboard tough! (I tend to do a lot of both over the course of most days.)

I have had pain in my wrists, especially the right one, for quite a while and have periodically worn a wrist brace for that. But I've never had anything like this before.

Could this be referred pain from a trigger point, or something like that? My "Survivors Guide" book shows a trigger point in the front of the neck with a referred pain area that seems to include both the thumb, wrist and forearm areas where I've been feeling pain, but I can't seem to locate such a trigger point on my own body (i.e., pressing around that area doesn't seem to aggravate the pain, and I can't find any "lumps" or "ropy bands".

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

--Laura R.M.
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

I thought I was the only one! I have had terrible pain in my right thumb ever since I came down with CFS 10 yrs ago - the pain is actually much better the last few yrs but it rarely goes away completely. My right wrist is also a frequent problem so maybe they are related.

When I first became ill I had to start using my husband's standard shift car because I could no longer push in the button on the side of the automatic stick shift. The standard shift was behind the steering wheel so I could change gears with the palm of my hand.

Weird, isn't it? Pepper
  4. little

little Member

My thumbs have hurt for a few months now. They are getting real bad. I saw a rhuemmy the first of October and he didn't know what it was. My left thumb is the worst one.I have been wrapping it up lately. I can hardly hold a glass when it is empty. This week the pain seems to be going up my arm to my elbow. Sometimes when I move the thumb it cracks. I would also like to find out what it was. Some times the list of things that are FM related is endless. Gail
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

SHARP pain from the tip of where I think the bone is to just above the juncture to the hand. When that pain hits it is a XOWEEE!!!!! if it did not go away, takes maybe a minute or two, I would have to get some medical attention! CactusLil'
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

My thumbs have been hurting me badly for 2-3 years. I mentioned it to my PC when it first started and she told me it was "just arthritis". That was before they got this bad. They hurt every day now, intense pain. My wrists hurt too, and I have been tested, and do have carpal tunnel, but my wrists were not really hurting too much at that time; now they are, but my thumbs just throb, the bones hurt so bad. And my index finger of my left hand is starting to feel the same way. Pain relievers don't give much relief either.
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

Thumb pain can often be a sign of carpul tunnel..It could also be arthritis..I get it, but then I have both..
    Best of Luck.........Donna
  8. imalive

imalive New Member

hi I have the thumb pain I also have both carpil tunal and tendinites (can't spell) I was told that the pain is because of the tendinites.
  9. latracy

latracy New Member

I get it too mostly in the right thumb which affects my handwriting. The doctors can't find any reason for it except the FM. So this is just another little pain that I have learn to live with.