Anybody else have a deep sore feeling in feet and heels?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Aug 24, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

It seems like in the last few days my feet have slowly been getting stiff and sore. My heels have this awful pain in them when I walk or put weight on them. Wonder what made my feet so sore. Does anybody else have problems with there feet hurting a lot?

Kriket
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I've had that same feeling many times. Especially if I change shoes that have a different sole.

It used to be so bad I looked like I was hobbling around when I first got up from bed, or from a table after sitting.

It is probably part of the immune response in your body. I can tell when my entire body is inflamed. I'm just not sure what brings it on. I suspect sugar and eating ice cream causes my problems.

I have sore lumps in the arch of both feet when I am flaring. Not sure what that is either...

You might want to try massaging your feet every morning. I have even put Bengay on my feet at times. It does seem to help. You might want to use Bengay and sleep with socks on if you can. See if it helps.

3. misskoji

misskoji Member

Have this feeling quite often. Of course it doesn't help when we stand on our feet for too long and over do it.

Hope you feel better hun,

Deanna
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yes, I have pain in my feet quite often. It is the worst in the morning. I saw a doctor and he said the condition is called plantar fasciitis, or simpy inflammation of the bottom of the foot. I don't know if that's what you have, but the doctor suggested rest until swelling subsides, putting supports in your shoes-I run around bare foot a lot on my hard tile floor, that is not good for you. Doing easy stretching exercises, there are some exercises on the internet for the condition, and applying ice to the area. I would go get it checked out first and see if what your doctor thinks. Hope you feel better soon! Kim
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have this quite often. My feet are usually my worst pain area regardless of whether I have been standing or in bed all day.

I don't work so I am not on my feet that often except for shopping outings but my feet always feel like I have been standing on them for 12 hours straight. It drives me nuts!
  6. pbrock53

pbrock53 New Member

Hey Kriket. I had this start in Nov 04 and went through until Mar 05 daily. It finally went away on it's own after visits to the podiatrist (waste of $$) and my orthopedist. We did x-rays & MRI to show nothing but what he called "bruising" (at that time my ankle was really bad in addition to the bottom of my feet).

I've found out that I have to wear a good pair of tennis shoes at ALL TIMES! I rarely wear any other type of shoe anymore. That sucks as I'm a shoe hound!!

I also found that walking aroung the house barefoot is a BIG no-no anymore. I have to have on cushy houseslippers OR, again, wear my tennis shoes inside. Since I've taken up this practice, I rarely have problems unless I'm not wearing shoes!

Hope this helps! This is extremely painful!!
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

It sounds like Plantar Fasciitis which can happen when you are on your feet a lot with out proper support. Get some Dr. Scholl's heel and arch support inserts for you shoes they work great.

I wear them in all of my shoes including the one with heels. I got plantar fasciitis from working eight hour shifts standing...

To help relieve the soreness soak you feet in hot water (the hottest you can stand) with Epsom's salts, and vinegar. It really works!

Just let you feet soak until the water cools it may sound a little odd but honestly I have never found anything to help more quickly.

I used this was when I was working in a convenience store several months ago and would come home barely walk and in tears...thank god I found another job :)

Try it you'll like it,

Karen :)
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I don't know what it is like NOT to. The neck and shoulders are always in pain, too. But, I don't know any other way. I don't rem. what it was like when I didn't have this disorder.
  9. kriket

kriket New Member

I love to wear flipflops and all different kinds of shoes. My foot soreness seems to come and go. Someone mentioned having ankle problems too. I am wondering what is going on with one of my ankles also.

The massage therapist I go to says she can't seem to find the bone in my left ankle. It is swollen looking and it has been hurting for a few weeks now. I think I may have injured it in sone way.

Seems like their is a little ball of fluid that rolls around kind of on top of the bone area. It may be some type of fluid filled cyst. Anyone ever had problems like this with your ankle area too? Thanks for all of the advice, I will surely use it.

Kriket
  10. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am so glad you posted this because I have had foot pain for years. I did not know so many others seem to have the same problem. Mine feels like I weigh 300 lbs and have waited on tables all day and night! Feels like I am walking on plain bone. And they both hrt equally the same at the same time.

The pain is worse after I take my shoes off and rest them. I don't notice the pain as much while I am walking though, which is strange. After I go to bed the pain is so intense that I have to let them hang off the edge of the bed.

I did buy a pair of Z-coil tennis shoes and wear them any time I know i'll have to be on my feet for extended periods and they have been INCREDIBLE for preventing the pain.
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

What type of vinegar? White or apple cider? Was going to try the hot water/epsom salt/vinegar, but was not sure what type of vinegar to use.

Kathleen12- I have a pair of z-coils that I sometimes wear when standing for so long giving massages, but the ones I bought seem so heavy or something.

I will try anything before I try surgery.

Kriket
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and my feet hurt for 3 weeks.I could barely walk.Then it went away.Linda
  13. detsgirl

detsgirl New Member

I used to go barefoot all summer long, now I can't be without shoes. My feet have been this way for almost 3 years now. When I drive home from work at night, I can barely walk to my front door. In the morning, I dread getting up because my feet are so painful. I'm going to do what someone suggested about soaking in hot water.

Dets
  14. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Kriket and everyone!

I used to think I was the only one that experienced this kind of pain until reading this thread.

My feet hurt so terribly whether I'm on them, or getting up after sitting a while. (Isn't that strange?) I hobble along till I "get going."

My feet hurt from the time I get up in the morning till bedtime too. They have been this way for YEARS, like 8-10 years.

I feel like I weigh over 300 pounds and wait tables all day long too. You would think propping them up and staying off them would help, but it doesn't at all.

I do not have the bone pain some have talked about, but my ankles have gotten SO terribly WEAK and hurt so badly at times I can hardly walk.

I've never gone to a doc about it...just figured it was the FM. (Making mental note to ask doc about)

Wearing good shoes helps a little, but going barefoot feels about the same.

Too bad we are all in the same boat!

Hugs,
    E
  15. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have used both and either work. You will not believe how much better you feet will feel.

Remember to put you feet up and take it easy after you soak them you deserve this because it is so rough when your feet hurt and it is recommend to rest when you have plantar fasciitis.

I hope it helps you,

Karen :)
  16. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

That I tried both..soaking in hot water with epson salts(didn't know aobut the vinigar) and soaking in ice. The only one of the two that made me feel better was he hot water. Oh, and how good that felt!

The ice, though, sent me into such amazing pain that I was squalling and begging to let me take them out. After 40 mins of that I just could not take it any longer. It was as if they were getting frostbite or something. But the hot water was the most soothing experience I've had for this. Will have to try adding the vinigar next time.

I don't remember who it was that mentioned the z-coils being heavy, but yes, they are heavy but at the same time I feel like I am walking on marshmallows, if that makes any sense LOL.
  17. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Yours sounds EXACTLY like mine. Have you ever been dx with it? I don't think it is neuropathy because the skin does not hurt, but all the doctor says is it could be neuropathy. But that is only an assumption because of my Diabetes. Just wondering...
  18. wildwoodlane

wildwoodlane Member

Can someone please explain what Z-coils are? Do they fit inside your shoes?

Thanks!

wildwoodlane
  19. kriket

kriket New Member

They are a shoe with a very strong spring in the heel of them. They absorb the shock when your heel hits the ground. They feel like your walking on air kind of.

They are kind of on the expensive side. You can get a better description of them and what they do at ZCOIL.COM You can get them with or without the spring showing.
    Hope this helps.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
  20. pbrock53

pbrock53 New Member

I forgot to tell you that the soaking in HOT water REALLY HELPS me! It is the only thing that gives me ANY relief at night when I'm trying to sleep and I hurt so bad that none of my pain meds even touch the pain.

I go run hot water (as hot as I can stand) in the tub and just get in and soak until the water starts cooling off. OMG! That helps me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! I'm praying that when my SSD gets approved or my LTD lawsuit is settled I'm definitely getting a hot tub. That has to be one of the best investments anyone with fibro could make other than a great bed (which is next on the list)!

Good luck, I hope some of these suggestions will help you. This condition (whatever it is) is so very painful and we all gotta get up to move around one way or another, so the feet are usually the lucky little things that help get the job done - not too many alternatives other than a wheelchair!! Not ready for that yet, although the pain's been bad enough at times I was ready to beg for one!