Anybody else with both spouses sick?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nannibel, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

My husband and I are beginning to think we are the odd ones out. We both have CFS but know I'm wondering if it is something else if noone else with CFS has a spouse with it.
    Why us? (

I just posted, but not sure if it got printed. I am wondering if anyone else out there is sick with CFS and their husband is too? We are beginning to feel like the odd ones out. Maybe we have something else? We both were hit hard with this within a week of each other in 1988, got better, but never recovered. I seldom see anybody mention spouses affected too, on message boards or research.

2. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

My husband and I are beginning to think we are the odd ones out. We both have CFS but know I'm wondering if it is something else if noone else with CFS has a spouse with it.
    Why us? (

I just posted, but not sure if it got printed. I am wondering if anyone else out there is sick with CFS and their husband is too? We are beginning to feel like the odd ones out. Maybe we have something else? We both were hit hard with this within a week of each other in 1988, got better, but never recovered. I seldom see anybody mention spouses affected too, on message boards or research.

3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have Fibromyalgia, and my husband has Multiple Sclerosis. We have three sons ages 10-12-and 16.

He was diagnoses with MS about 7 years ago, and is intermittent, remission. That is until he had a accident at work, hurt his back, and its flared again. He has neck and spinal problems. He is off work until Jan. and probably even longer.

I was diagnosed over 2 years ago with Fibromyalgia. I have flares, most of the time hurt, but dealing with it all best I can.

We we at my moms one day this past summer, helping her to clean her garage. My husband and I couldnt lift anything heavy, and it was a good laugh, my mom said we look, act old as her. Its a sight!

4. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

He has psoriatic arthritis, which causes extreme pain and gnarling of his fingers, toes, and back. Sometimes, he is so stooped over, he looks like he is ninety years old. I have FMS and I am in the middle of a fairly moderate flair right now.

It does cause some problems for us, when something really needs to get done (heavy lifting, heavy cleaning, etc.) and neither one of us can do anything. It can cause us both to be rather cranky and owie sometimes, too. But when we are both being cranky with each other, we just try to take a step back and realize that it is because of the pain we are both experiencing.

It has caused us to work together on certain issues a lot more than we ever did in the past. One day at a time...that is the best we can do. And sometimes, we have to put money towards things that we didn't have to pay for in the past. Like a good cleaning of the apartment from time to time. Oh well, we do what we have to do and we get by.
  5. Pinky

Pinky New Member

Yes! Both my husband & I have FM, his brought on by medication and mine from both physical and emotional stress. I also have CF. I seem to be in alot more pain and am much more tired than he is. We are both working with the same Rheumatologist even though our treatments are some what different. I am on a much higher dosage of supplements and different meds. work for each of us differently. I was really surprised tosee your post- I thought we were wierd, or that maybe something else was wrong with us. Thanx- it is good to hear we are not alone.
    Debbie
  6. Nannibel

Nannibel Member

Thanks all who answered by post. I have never corresponded with anyone in a similar situation, and like I said before,
    have never even seen this researched, how prevalant CFS,
    or FMS is seen in couples.
    We, too have learned to be compassionate with each other,and in the ups and downs of this DD we often feel we only have each other; who else could understand. I know we share alot of symptoms, I have to remind myself that my husband is the silent strong type who hardly complains, but I've gotten good at sensing when he's doing badly. He has been able to continue work, most likely because its his own business, but he still seems to get up go every day better than I. I have the responsibility of homeschooling our four children at home. We had to remove all of them from public schooling because they were all getting too tired and exhausted not to mention catching everything that comes around. Its not good you all are sick and in the same predicament, but I am glad to know there's other twosomes out there struggling like us.
    Thanks again!