Anybody Ever Get Dexamethasone by Iontophoresis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, May 18, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Last week, my OT/PT tried me on a cortisone-related drug called dexamethasone, which I was given by a process called ionotphoresis. This was to treat pain that presumably is related to rotator-cuff tendinitis in my right shoulder. The process involves taping two patches to the skin. One of the patches has drops of the medication on it.

The patches are attached electronically to a small rectangular control box, about 2.5" X 3". The electric current is turned on (the strength is adjustable), and depending on the strength of the current and the length of time of the treatment, the medication gets electronically repelled through the skin and into the tissue beneath to various depths.

I had a fairly low-dose treatment last week, which got a little bit uncomfortable, but not painful. However, later that day and throughout the next day, I actually had more pain in my upper arm (and slightly more pain in my shoulder). The next day, we decided to hold off on the next treatment, and my PT gave me what seemed like a chiropractic-like treatment, nudging my arm and shoulder into positions where it didn't hurt as much to move. Then he taped my shoulder blad and right shoulder to hold them in position.

I'm due for another ionophoresis/dexamethasone treatment on Tuesday, and I was wondering whether anybody on this board has had it and/or is familiar with it.

--Laura R.M.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love, Mikie
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I hope somebody will respond. I'm not sure whether to have another treatment.

--Laura R.M.