Anybody ever go to " Dr. Amen " Amen Clinic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dvdav2000, Jan 13, 2005.

1. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Hi All,
    I bought a book written by Daniel Amen, M.D. who uses SPECT scans and the like for diagnosis and treatment of people with CFS and Cognitive disfunction. Anyone on the board have any experience with Dr. Amen, or the clinic ? Any input would be appreciated.

dvdav2000
  2. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

Have obtained Dr.Amen's book and think that the SPECT scan would be the answer to what type of depression and the most effective type od meds would be best. But the clinic and any other place mentioned is too far from here in Alabama. Am really, really, really interested in finding a Spect scan that is available somewhere close. Insurance or not, whatever it takes at this point.

Jeanne
  3. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Hi,
    Seeing I have an existing abnormal SPECT and a semi-normal brain MRI, I figured the trip and expense to see the Amen Clinic was worth it. I have my appts. in two weeks in Wash. D.C. Day one... one Spect Scan under one set of conditions... day two... another SPECT Scan under another set of conditions, then a sit down to review entire history and be asked alot more questions. Day three is free... I assume all of your SPECT films and info. get transmitted to Dr. Amen on the West Coast for interp. and advise of a solution. Day four in the afternoon is the final sit down with the M.D. in the Wash. D.C. office. This all costs $ 3000. I had a Spect done here in NJ last year and they charged my insurance over $2000 for a scan that they couldn't produce a film or data file for reading the scan. The interp. was done on the fly and purged. I feel this is a bargain for what you get. I am going to submit it as an out of network service so I will get something back.
    I will keep you advised and wish you well... I return Feb. 11 in the late evening. Wish me luck...

dvdav2000
  4. kfinn2

kfinn2 New Member

dvdav2000,

Did you ever go to the Amen Clinic? I am thinking about going, has anyone heard anything positive about the SPECT imaging for Fibro?

Kelly