Anybody ever had "Cat Scratch Disease"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by makezmuzic, Sep 8, 2006.

1. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Hi, I just remembered that I have been DX'd with cat scratch fever (lol!) twice in my life. Didnt even have a cat at the time.

Anyone else been DX'd with same?
  2. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

My 24 yr old son had it so bad he spent a week in the hospital and had to have surgery. It started out when a cat scratched his hand, then with a small lump under his arm. Then it turned into a huge painful bulging lump within a couple of days. He had to have surgery to clean out an infected abcess under his arm. He was on morhpine and IV antibiotics for a week. Then had to return to the hospital every day for 2 weeks to have the open wound unpacked, cleaned out, packed again. He was sooo sick for quite a while. You can die from cat scratch fever!
    Kay
  3. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Oh Kay, that must have been terrifying to see your child like that!!!! I'm so sorry. I had no idea it could get so bad!!! I didn't have any scratches, it showed up in my bloodwork. I had had fibro for years at that point. It was right before my RA Dx. It felt like escalated fibro fatigue. It showed up again in my blood work years later. Still no cat scratch. Come to think of it though, I got a really bad "boil" on my breast right after that. They had to lance it, stuff it and put me on antibots. I never put it together.

Again, I'm so sorry about your son going through that. He's alright now isnt he? Does he still test poz for it? Were there residual effects? Thank you for your response.

Wishing you & yours the best.

MM, lynn
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I didn't realize that "Cat Scratch Fever" was a real disease.

I hadn't heard of it since the Ted Nugent song, circa 1977.

Kholmes
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I knew a woman who got cat scratch fever from a paper cut. I think anything that breaks the skin can allow the infection.
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I read about this when a vet said my daughter's kitten had it. He was very wrong.

Cat's do not have the disease themselves, but can pass it on to humans by either a scratch OR their saliva. It is bacteria which most humans are not affected by.

It can be serious, or sometimes lasts for a short time. I found this info on the web. If you feel sick and cannot remember what could have caused it, get to a doctor ASAP.

My cat's are not declawed either. I have been scratched by them many a time and so far had no problem. Knock on wood! LOL

Kim

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2006]