Anybody Familiar With Rome, GA Area?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My kids want me to live closer to them and I would love to be able to see my new grandson more often. I don't want to live in Atlanta or its suburbs. I prefer to live nearby in a smaller town.

My HMO is active in Floyd County, so I would like to stay within that area. I have been to Cartersville and found it beautiful in that area. Red Top Mountain and Lake Allatuna were great to visit. The whole region there looks really pretty.

I figure Rome is an ideal type of place but I haven't been there and don't know much about it. Hoping someone here can fill me in. We will drive up there at Thanksgiving to check it out. Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Love, Mikie
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

But your post stuck out cause I live in Rome,..
    But NY. (state)
    You can come here!!! most of us are friendly~!!
    lol

Hugs
    Tandy :)
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

sorry I live on "the other side" of Atlanta, in another classically named city, Athens!

Well, there is a FFC in Atlanta, wonder if your HMO would pay for them?

best,
    Victoria
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My HMO pays 80 percent out of network but there are some counties which are included and some aren't. I'll have to check further if I decide to look further into this.

Love, Mikie
  5. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

Rome, GA and it is a beautiful area. I lived in Chattanooga/ East Ridge area back in the early 80's. I also lived south west of Atlanta for several years.

I would venture to say that you would love it. It is in the foothills of the Great Smokie Mountians and the hardwood trees are beautiful. I think it is far enough North of Atlanta to be both convenient to the big city and yet far enough away at the same time.

Why not go visit for a couple of weeks or even more before you make a decision that is permenant??
  6. 121043

121043 New Member

Mikie
    You would love Rome,or Summerville is a smaller town close by. Both have a lot of history & charm.My dad was born in Rome and lived there through his early childhood.My Great Grandmother lived in Rome for many years.My Grandfather had his medical practice there before moving to Trenton,Ga.I have always lived just over the Ga. line from Chattanooga. I think you would enjoy being a Ga. girl. And being close to your family would be a big plus.
    Loretta
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been very happy living here in SW FL and I could go on living here, but I would like to be closer as the baby grows up. Of course, the kids could always move, so anywhere I go has to stand on its own as a good place for me.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Anyone? Anyone?

Love, Mikie
  9. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Mikie!
    A friend of the family from Ohio moved to an area just south of Rome and she said her FM improved...and that it wasn't just her imagination, but that climate, although humid, is not as magnetic as Ohio, and I assume FL due to the frequent weather changes there...
    She's been there 3 years now and I hadn't seen her in about 4-5 years and boy what a difference! We didn't think she would be able to walk up the stairs to sleep (she visited my family while I was in SC) and it was the opposite! I wouldn't even know she had it. She's not cured, but much happier healthwise.
    By the way, her doctor told her that. Most people benefit from a drier climate like AZ, that's a known fact...but I was curious to learn that and wonder if anyone else has been helped by a move! My sis in law wants us to move to Ackworth...I always assumed flares would be worse in the South...but who knows!
    I also believe the B52's were from there-- the music group!
    Cindi
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I live in Marietta now but we are in the beggining stages of building a house right outside of Cartersville. We have 15 acres there. It is beautiful and has that small town feel. The cost of living here is great. Please come we would love to have you!!! If you have any questions about the area please ask I have lived here my whole life.

Athens is pretty great too. I have 5 cousins, 3 neices and 3 nephews all in school at UGA!

Take Care Lynn
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate the info. I'll be going up at Thanksgiving to look it over. Our real estate market will be red hot in Jan. and I figure thing will be slower elsewhere then. It might be an ideal time to move.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  12. msthang

msthang New Member

i am originally from covington ga but now i live in ny. but i used to go to cartersville and rome alot. cartersville is exremly small!!! like most towns in ga. but rome is very nice. the people or nice theres plenty to do and places to go. and yes the weather is pretty good too!!! i hope u enjoy it.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I was in Cartersville several years ago, there was a lot of new building going on. The recreational areas nearby were beautiful.

Thanks again, everyone, for all this info. My daughter loves Rome and we are quite a bit alike, so I would imagine I would like it too.

I'll let y'all know when I get back at Thanksgiving.

Love, Mikie
  14. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Cartersville has really grown alot over the past few years! The downtown is being revitalized with cute shops ect... Town Center Mall is only 2030 mins away depending on traffic and they have everything you could want around the Mall. The whole area is booming.

Berry College is in Rome and the campus is gorgeous. The chapel is really special. Also Barnsley Gardens if you want to see a beautiful place to have lunch. There is also a really good italien restaurant right in downtown Rome but I can remember the name.

Have a great time and we are so happy you are headed our way. My parents are near and it means so much for me to have them and my children close. Lynn

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It isn't a certainty that I will move. I would like to be closer to the kids. I love it here and the property values are going sky high and will not fall; they will just level off.

Because I cannot work yet, I have a cash flow problem but am sitting on a lot of equity. If I could find a less expensive area which is growing, I could probably get another place which will increase in value and still have a fair amount of cash.

I can't continue to use up my savings like I am now. I know that at some point, I will be able to work part time, but it will take a while. The more of these hurricanes I sit through or watch the near misses, the less attractive this area has become. We are in about year 2 of a 10 year cycle of increased storm activity. I know these Gulf hurricanes go north and bring tropical storm rain and wind, but it's nothing like living through a Cat. III or IV hurricane.

I love most of the South, so I would feel right at home, I'm sure. Again, thanks for the info; I appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  16. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

We do get some rain and wind but not bad. Rome is in the foothills so I don't think you would have to worry about flooding at all if we have that. Good Luck with everything and keep us posted! Lynn