Anybody from France? Need a simple ? answered.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loonie, Apr 18, 2003.

1. loonie

loonie New Member

Hi;

If you are from France (or you have spent a lot of time in that country) could you answer a simple question for me. Is the milk in France homogenized, or does the cream separate from the milk that is usually consumed by most of the people. Over here in USA virtually all milk consumed is homogenized-the cream does not separate.

Thank you, loonie
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am not from France, but my grandfather had a Dairy Farm, so I know what you mean about the 'cream rising to the top' of the milk! I was raised on that pure milk.

I am living in the country, and we do have a few brands of local milk here that is unprocessed. I can make cream cheese and butter from it. It is so delicious! You can also make great yogurt.

I don't know about France though. Will be watching to see if anyone answers you. I am curious myself.

Shalom, Shirl

3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Milking season will soon be upon me here. The goat girls are within a month of kidding..and then the fun begins! I must say that I LOVE the cheese from these girls.

If you have never tried goat milk, see if you have someone local who milks them..I dont even like the goat milk outta the store!

blessings..Sherry
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Milk came from the milk man in bottles left in a box on the front porch. There was a pleated circular waxy paper cap on the bottle. When that cap was removed, there was a cardboard disk cap which fit down inside the top of the bottle. We had to skim the cream off the top before drinking the milk. The cream would be used for cooking or coffee.

Remember those huge stainless steel milk dispensers with the big stainless steel ball handle? The milk would be all foamy by the time it hit the glass. It was always icy cold and delicious. Ah, the good old days.

I'm assuming you are asking this in relation to diet or health-related issues.

Love, Mikie
  5. loonie

loonie New Member

Hi, and many thanks for your responses;

Mikie and Shirl: I realized after I posted that I should have stated that this was a health related issue, but by the time I figured it out, my zanaflex was kicking in and I needed to hit the hay. It has to do with the mechanical process of homogenization and its' relationship to the process of atherosclerosis. A Princeton study showed the corelation with the process of homo. with the spread of atherosclerosis in the USA. This all was re-started by my reading a post by selma on Proanthocyanidin, where this comes from-"Proanthocyanidins have garnered recent attention in helping to explain the "French Paradox," the observation in France that high intake of dietary fats does not necessarily lead to high rates of atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease."

I have consumed non-homog. milk for the majority of my life, and my mother dislikes milk and has not consumed any for close to 70 years. Neither of us have any hardening of the arteries, even though we are meat eaters. I love butter and (omg) fat on meat, and eat both regularly. Thus once again I began wondering if they drank homog. milk in France.

Stillafreemind-Hello fellow "goat woman". I have owned dairy goats since the late 70's and have been the dariy goat superintendent at a local county fair (years ago, in the 80's) Currently trying to get into the boer-cross for meat animals. My girlfriend has a small herd of
    LaManchas and makes cheese to die for!! All her girls have kidded and she has a bunch of cheese-she just bought a pasteurizer and cheese press from Hoegger. Big Bucks $$$$! Guess I better finally get my Bio for my profile and for jelly.

Good days to all, loonie

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is very interesting. As you know, the Atkins and SomerSize diets are based on the same premise regarding animal based fat.

Sorry if my comment offended you, but I am glad you took the time to tell us about this.

Love, Mikie
  7. leokat

leokat New Member

but have spent some time there over the past decade.

As I recall - all cows milk supplied in the major French supermarche and hypermarche comes in cartons and is homogenised. In my experience the cream does not seperate out. Milk is available ecreme(r) - that is skimmed. Creme(r) - full cream and (I think)- semi ecreme(r). sorry I have a British keypad so the accents on the e's are missing.

I am led to believe that the French prefer homogonised milk because it keeps better than pasteurised in the relatively hotter (than Northern Europe) climate.

This is different to British cows milk. This comes in either bottles or cartons and is mostly pasteurised rather than homogonised (though homogonised is available - sold as long life milk). The cream from pasteurised milk does seperate out. British milk is available full cream, semi skimmed, skimmed and sometimes Cannel Islands which is extra creamy (I don't know if it's OK for the Atkins diet though). It is also sometimes possible to obtain unpasteurised milk (though I believe it's sale is prohibited), goats (now available in most large supermarkets), and occasionally sheeps milk.

We have a quaint tradition of doorstep delivery of milk daily via a 'milkman' in the UK. However, doorstep delivery of milk is becoming less and less popular.

Gee I didn't know I knew so much about milk!

Anyhow loonie I hope the above helps some.

leo.
  8. loonie

loonie New Member

Hi, Leo:

I am interested in this question because of the effect the mechanical homog. of milk has on the veins and arteries. From what I have read, it seems that the process allows the extremely small particles of fat to go through the walls of veins and arteries, which causes a small injury, causing the body to use cholesterol to lay down plaque to repair the injury. Here in the USA the milk producers have a large budget to encourage everyone to drink milk, and I believe a lot of people do.

If I remember correctly, the French consume a lot of dairy in the form of butter and cheese, and less in the form of milk. This could be the reason for the "French Paradox" that allows them to consume high cholesterol items without so much of the "hardening of the arteries"that is prevalent in the USA.

If you go back in this post you will see that I have first hand experience with severely lessened consumption of homog. milk and lack of plaque in the arteries.

Thanks again for your reply, loonie
  9. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

If I had the time, I might go down and lock up a gentle beef cow for an afternoon and obtain some milk for our own consumption...but I'm sure that wouldn't be too popular with said cow or her calf! Much easier to just buy the milk at the store. Local friends with dairy will illegaly sell "under the table" unpasteurized, unhomogenized gallons of cows milk. I think it is legal if you say it is for your calf! Also a local goat dairy which will legally sell you pasteurized unhomogenized milk. My husband does not care for the taste or either, although growing up he had his own Jersey cow. Maybe the taste reminds him of all of the work and responsibility of hand milking a cow every day, twice a day for months.
    While I was helping my broken legged and weak calf to nurse, the mama cow was very gentle and accomodating. I was very hungry and stole a bit of warm milk. It doesn't get any fresher than that. Delicious!
    Tibbie