Anybody have a problem with ZMA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Oct 16, 2002.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I'd read so much good about it, so ordered a couple of bottles. Took just ONE capsule about midnight, and in about an hour, my heart rate sped up to the 90's, normal is in the low 70's, plus I began feeling agitated. It is now 5:45am and I'm still feeling like I could jump out of my skin! In the past 1/2 hour my heartrate has finally slowed down, but I'm still a nervous wreck. I've taken magnesium on a daily basis before with no problem, and I don't recall zinc bothering me either. What in the world could be making me feel so lousy? The only other time I've felt this way is when I've had a food sensitivity, but it never lasted this long. I REALLY doubt I'll ever take another ZMA tablet if this is what's going to happen. I've got two full bottles here that I can't use. !%#$^$#^$&$&*^(&)*)Q#_

P.S. No, this is not a panic attack. I'm the panic attack queen and this ain't one of 'em!

Marilyn
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I'd read so much good about it, so ordered a couple of bottles. Took just ONE capsule about midnight, and in about an hour, my heart rate sped up to the 90's, normal is in the low 70's, plus I began feeling agitated. It is now 5:45am and I'm still feeling like I could jump out of my skin! In the past 1/2 hour my heartrate has finally slowed down, but I'm still a nervous wreck. I've taken magnesium on a daily basis before with no problem, and I don't recall zinc bothering me either. What in the world could be making me feel so lousy? The only other time I've felt this way is when I've had a food sensitivity, but it never lasted this long. I REALLY doubt I'll ever take another ZMA tablet if this is what's going to happen. I've got two full bottles here that I can't use. !%#$^$#^$&$&*^(&)*)Q#_

P.S. No, this is not a panic attack. I'm the panic attack queen and this ain't one of 'em!

Marilyn
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]
  3. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi Marilyn,
    Sorry to hear you've had such a rough night. I started taking the ZMA about a week ago and I've had no problems. I'm sleeping better than I have in a long time. I sleep 7 to 8 hours straight. If I do wake up I go right back to sleep. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
    I'm sure someone else will be along with more info than I can give.
    Hope you get some sleep.

Sapphire
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Look at the previous posts on ZMA and you will find that you are not alone at all! There has been extensive discussion of this problem. Sorry about your wide awake experience...it happens to me too, but I can't just blame it on ZMA. I think MVPS and POTS are mostly to blame in my case. I went back to plain magnesium and gave the ZMA to my husband, who does not have FS/CFS, but does have MVPS, so it could help him. He has no noticeable affects from it at all.
    Klutzo
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Now why would you think I would bite your head off? Do I come across that way? Oh my! :) I don't know if it was the sugary stuff I ate the day before or not...I thought the same thing, but I would have thought that it would have been out of my system a day later? I just don't know, but it was strange how about an hour after I took one capsule, this weird feeling came over me and got continually worse. It was fast!

Klutzo, I did do a search, and it's difficult to do here, because when the results come up, there's really no subject line to go by, just the posters name and maybe a word or two thay they typed. I looked at a couple of the responses and saw one from you talking about a problem with it, but you didn't know for sure if the ZMA was causing the problem or not.

In any case, I was up, feeling very agitated and uncomfortable until my hubby got up for work at 6:00am and then I went back to bed because my heart had finally slowed down. I slept about 4 hours and feel like death warmed over. Now I'm afraid to try another ZMA!

Marilyn
  6. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

thru the roof. Still not sure if it was the ZMA or not. I want to try it again sometime but don't want to feel crappy. I'm afraid to try it again! My thoughts on it were like with everything else, we do all seem to be hyper-sensitive to all different meds/herbs/pills, whatever. So I thought maybe it could be that, too. It's just hard to say.
  7. dorothyanne

dorothyanne New Member

I know how a person can get after a sugar binge and I wouldn't have blamed you if you did want to bite off everyone's head.

Twenty-two years ago, I had an 8-yr old son with severe behaviour problems. He was tested for food allergies using sublingual testing. It was a shocker how berserk and violent he became when being tested for such inoccuous foods as eggs, wheat, etc. Of course, sugar sent him into orbit. The bottom line of this story is that a sensitivity to a food, or bingeing on sugar, can do really screwy things to your body and mind, and the effects can last for a few days.

I can't speak with expertise on the ZMA, but what from what I've read the main constituents -- magnesium, zinc and Vit B6 -- should not cause you to feel as bad as you did. Unless there's other items in the product of which I'm unaware.

Marilyn, you are one of the nicest persons on the ImmuneSupport board, both here and on the chit chat, and I wasn't trying to offend you. I was trying to be funny -- maybe my sense of humour should be kept under wraps today.

Love and gentle hugs, Dorothyanne
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

My dear lady, don't stop with the humor! We need all of it that we can get! I was just afraid that maybe I said something I shouldn't have and came across the wrong way. It's easy to do when there's no body language to see and no tone of voice to hear. The only time I want to bite someone's head off is when I have PMS, and then hubby and the dogs are fair game! Sweets actually pacify me, like a drug, so this leads me to believe that I'm hooked on sugar. I'm going to wait awhile to try the ZMA again and see what happens. Can't wait til Monday....that's when hubby takes all the car keys with him to work for 3 days at least, and I won't have ANY way to get to the BAKERY!! I should be able to get through the sugar withdrawal alot easier if I know I don't have any access to sweets.

Marilyn :)
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I was just reading on the ZMA bottle and it says it contains Vitamin B6, Magnesium and Zinc. Then below that, it says it contains 2400mg ZMA. I thought ZMA was a combination of the three ingredients I mentioned above. But it looks like ZMA is a separate ingredient altogether. What IS it? And maybe THAT'S what made my heart go like a racehorse for six hours? Before I ordered this stuff, I looked ZMA up in the search engines, and saw alot of sites that said it was created for body builders and other athletes. Now if ZMA is supposed to promote deep sleep, then why would an athlete or body builder want to take it? A red flag went up in my head when I read that, but like a fool, I ignored it. I should NEVER ignore my instincts!

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2002]