Anybody have any cures for pets w/GAS???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kriket, May 23, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

OMG!!!! My coon dog Bo has the awfulest gas. He is laying here beside me as I type this and every once in a while I here this spew!!!! Then OMG, I may have to kick him out and make him stay outside.

Any of you pet owners out there have any remedies or any cures for this??? I know this is way off subject here, but I need some advice!!!!

2. kriket

kriket New Member

Ha!! Good one!!! I have never ever seen a dog with this much awful gas. Every 3-4 min. like clockwork,spew-spew-spew-then pew-pew-pew!!!! I wonder if Gas-X for humans will work for dogs and wonder if it's safe??

3. kriket

kriket New Member

Where would I find this at??? How do I give it to him?? Is it in tablet form?? Sorry for so many ques., but I am really trying to find a fix!!!

4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Is just throw a blanket over his butt. My shih tzu likes to sleep on the pillow next to me and I love having him close. But when he starts farting... whew! So I just cover his heine up and we both are happy!

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Change his food. Diet is usually the culprit in dogs - and other animals. ;>)

6. sisland

sisland New Member

I don't know if this will help but,,,,I always add water to the dry dog food so as to make it go through the digestive system better!

and i try to make sure (Lucky,,,,my dog) drinks lots of water during the day they also say to put alittle oil in their dog food so to help with digestion and a shiney coat,,,,,,,,,hope this helps,,,,

My Daughters lab Teal has the same problem,,,ooo,,,stinkey! lol,,,,,,sis
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Some of you are too funny. I will try the acidophilus. Here I am again on the computer and there he lays beside me. He has not started yet, but it won't be long till he starts.

The blanket might work on a little dog, but Bo is a big dog, he'd probably melt a hole in it. LOL

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2007]
  8. emttoni

emttoni New Member

Hi - we had this problem several years ago with my cocker. But then we realized we had switched to a cheaper dog food so we switched back to Purina and his gas has stopped.

As for the Aussie, he is an outside dog - stays out all day comes in at nite - and he tends to eat anything that isnt nailed down, literally. When he starts to smelling we have dd take him to her room as he is her dog. But we havent found anything to help with his gas.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I agree with Marta, the food is usually the culprit.

We had a dog years ago with horrible gas and as soon as we stopped the canned food, the gas stopped too. Just like magic.

You might also want to check what the dog can get into, trash cans, etc...

With my 4lb Maltese, gas just isn't a problem. But yesterday I had her going potty on her paper and she farted 3 times like little mini bullets and scared HERSELF!!!! It was so funny....

Nancy B
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Too funny!!! Oh my gosh. I needed a good laugh. My little chi will do that sometimes. He poots, then looks back. You can't help but laugh!!!!

11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you can't get to the pro botics, try plain yogurt. My dogs love it, I give them about a cup a day, depending on size. If your pup is small try a half cup.

Have not had a dog that didn't love yogurt yet........It will stop the gas in an hour or two.

But give it to them daily for awhile.

I had to change foods for mine, and all three had gas from the new food (was afraid of the poison from China) this one is made completely in America.

After a week all is well again, their system got used to the new food!!

It was a trial for awhile though!

Shalom, Shirl
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

I will try this. Thanks!!!!

13. pat460

pat460 New Member

with the others about the probiotics for pets and yogurt. I give my 2 little pooches Activia yogurt and they love it. It has live cultures which I find works best. I use powdered probiotics but you can find it in all forms(I think even Pet Smart carries it). I've noticed chicken gives my 2 babies lots of stinky gas.

14. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Not sure if this is the solution for you but I had the same problem. Each night my shih tzu would curl up next to the recliner . I referred to it as silent but deadly!!!

I mentioned it to my vet and he asked about food. She gets no table food, only dog food and dog cookies. Then I realized that each morning she would snitch some bread that I put on the deck for the squirrels and birds.

Once she had no bread the air was much nicer!