Anybody have success on Guaifenesin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shrtcak81, Jan 25, 2007.

1. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

I started the on the guai protocal a couple months ago. I was taking the 600 mg extended release tablets twice a day and definitely felt worse with those. I just went to buy some more and this time I got the 400 mg fast acting tablets and I'm taking those 3 times a day. Does it make a difference which ones I take? I've felt a little discouraged because of how crappy I feel. I know I should stick with it and it's gonna take a while to feel better. How many of you have had success with while on this protocal?

Crystal
  2. Jude

Jude New Member

Hi Crystal

It is a very good thing that you are seeing a rhumatologist to confirm a FM diagnosis. It is important to rule out other things that could be causing you problems. Have you read Dr St Amand's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia"? Whether you decide to do the protocol or not it is informative. It sounds like you would benefit from the liberal HG diet described in the book. If you havn't titrated up your dose properly I would stop the guai. Read the book again (I had to read it three times before I could grasp the concept). Start the HG diet. Don't expect your rhumatologist to know or understand this protocol. Wait for your confirmed diagnosis and start the guai then. It does not work for everyone. It does work well for some people. I am not anywhere near as bad as I was five years ago. The guai has made a big difference in my life.

There is a group of ladies on this board on the protocol. Do a search for "guai ladies" and you can read some of their posts.

Jude
  3. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

Jude and Elaine,

Thanks for responding. I have read that book and doing everything exactly how it describes. I just wanted to see how many people have benefited from it. Also do you know if taking fast acting tabs 3 times a day works the same as taking extended release tabs 2 times a day?

Crystal
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi....I have been on Dr. St. A's protocol for 10 months now, and because I've had fibro for 12 years, it's going to take a while to reverse. I am seeing some signs of better hours/partial days, and have faith that this does work after hearing the many stories of people regaining their lives back with guai!

Dr. St. Amand does not put his patients on FA until they have reached 1200 mg of LA guai. He has not had good results with using the FA only. Have you been on the website, www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com? There is a ton of info there, and many knowledgeable people to answer our questions. Of course, there are a few of us here that are happy to answer your questions, too. The website has great sal-free info and recipes if you need to be on the hypo-glycemic diet. I just started the diet recently, and am impressed with the results. I have more energy and some less pain.

I hope this answers your question. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Love, Ann
  5. shrtcak81

shrtcak81 New Member

Actually, I have been to the website and have printed some information from there. I haven't read through it all yet. I didn't know that he didn't have success with the fast acting tabs alone. I'm wondering if I should go get the 600 mg tabs again.

Also, I have hypoglycemia and have never been that strict with myself on the diet. I know I should because of the benefits it has to offer. I just love sweets too much:) But I've been better lately. If I crave something sweet, I'll just eat something made with splenda.

Thanks for the info!

Crystal
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been on the protocol for six years and consider my FMS symptoms reversed. I used the LA Guai when I started. Now that I am reversed, I take 800 mgs. of the FA Guai in the morning and 400 mgs. in the evening. I followed the protocol and my reactions, including the Guai flares, were almost textbook just as Dr. St. Amand and Claudia write about in the book.

Because I can look way back into early childhood and recognize FMS symptoms, I knew it would take a long time to reverse. I decided to keep upping the dose until I was at 2400 mgs. a day. Each time I increased, I had painful Guai flares but I was determined to speed up my reversal. If I injure myself and get really run down, I will still have some FMS type pain but most of the time, my pain is insignificant enough that I need no medication. Someone else at my level might not consider herself reversed; I have a very, very high pain tolerance. I do believe I am reversed and only need the current dose to maintain reversal because taking more Guai does not cause Guai flares now.

I also have CFIDS and, for me, this condition has been the worse of the two. I'm making good progress with the CFIDS but it is very slow. I have to pace myself and be careful with reactivating bacterial and viral infections. For that reason, I am not well--yet. Still, not having to deal with FMS has allowed me to devote my energy to healing the CFIDS. If I did not have the CFIDS to deal with, I would likely consider myself well.

If your Guai flares are too severe, rather than give up, lower the dose of the Guai until you get used to it. You can always increase it later. I do believe that the LA Guai works better in the beginning. At some point in the reversal, things are not quite as critical and some do switch to the FA Guai. Also, one feels much better long before complete reversal takes place. I had some really good days early on.

You can do a search on Guai and bring up our old posts. There are a few of us here and we call ourselves, "The Guai Ladies." So far, no men have come forth who are on the Guai Protocol.

Good luck to you and hang in there. That you feel worse is an indication that the Guai is working. It is more painful when the phosphate debris crystals are pulled out of the soft tissue than when they were deposited.

Soft hugs to all my Guai Buddies.

Love, Mikie
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I stopped using Mucinex for a few days just to see how I felt. I guess my theory about it helping to get rid of mucous created by chemicals and then trapped in mucous is correct. I feel much better when I use it.
  8. bigmh

bigmh New Member

I'm HG, too...I love my sweets just like you said! But I am having good success with the diet. It is listed on the website, and gets easier to follow as time goes on.

We also have a new HG diet sub-group off of the website. If you would like to join us, just let me know.

Blessings, Ann
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That the mucus is related to feeling better on the Guai. I am glad it helps.

Love, Mikie