Anybody have "tennis elbow"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jrcole, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jrcole

jrcole New Member

Help!!
    Has anybody had "tennis elbow"? My arm and elbow are so sore I can hardly do anything with my right arm. Dr. said it's common tennis elbow rest it don't do anything to aggravate it wear a elbow band and ice it. The elbow band now has the tendons below my elbow hurting besides my elbow and upper arm that originally has been hurting for over a month and a half. At first I blamed it on fibro but got so bad went and had it checked out when fingers started tingling. Any advice? I'm a sinlge mom with a 8 and 12 yr and work in a preschool. Still don't know what triggered t but everything just about aggravates it.
    Thanks
    Judy
  2. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

It is unbearable pain...and mine was on my right elbow and I am right handed. I finally went to the orthopedic surgeon who treats my carpal tunnel. He injected cortisone and it was gone just like that...I have not had a reoccurance since the first time in Sept. It hurts with the injection but it works! Good luck!
    Nancy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

She isn't a tennis player but has chronic tennis elbow. Her new doc is starting tests to rule out anything in addition to her FMS. He knows our family history.

When I used to play tennis, I always had tennis elbow. About six years ago, I fell off a boat dock and ruptured my bicep tendon. When they did surgery to reattach it, the doc noticed that the tendon was in bad condition.

I think we have a lot more damage to our bodies than we or our docs realize. Icing the area does help. Vitamin B-12 helps with infammation of the nerves surrounding the sore area. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hae had two cortisone shots in it..and the elbow brace, ice, rest, another shot....well and p.t....motrin..trameeel

i have not ha any xrays on it or an mri...i have kaiser insurance...yuck...i have had it for nearly 2 years...
    fngers go number...pain pain pain...hot to the touch area on the bend part of the arm...

good luck i feel your pain...i put a call in to the physical med. dr...said they soonest they could get me in was march 28th or t30th...so dr is supposed to call me...yeah right...

jodie
  5. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

It seems like a lot of my old injuries (I have my black belt in Tae KwonDo and have done my share of punching and kicking!) have come back since FM. My "tennis elbow" was completely gone for years along with a messed up knee. Now when the weather gets bad or really just whenever they want to - they're back for no apparent reason except to make me miserable!
  6. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I was wearing the brace all the time and trying to ignore it, hoping it would go away! I finally went to my doctor, and he gave me a cortizone shot and it never came back :) This was probably 5 or 6 years ago.

It seems like the cortizone works for a lot of people, so you might want to look into this.

Good luck, Judy!

~Cindi~
  7. i had tennis elbow very badly,my fingers used to go into a spasm and look clawlike very very painful.but id like to share with you what i did and it helped me a great deal.it made the pain go away and strengthened my wrists.i do still get the pain now and then,but this thing that i am going to tell you about does work,and it at least enables us to carry on with life.
    i went to a fibromyalgia pain management course here in the uk last year.this is the gentle excersize that i learned for my tennis elbow,and a year on im still able to use my arm without the severe pain.
    you can sit with a table in front of you,not a low down table.put a pillow on the table.now lay your arm on the pillow.
    now i used a very light weight i think they call them bumbells,my son has some,so i used the smallest lightest one.you grasp hold of the dumbell and remember to keep your arm rested on the pillow.now very gentley raise your wrist up a bit and hold it there a second or two,now lower your wrist down a bit and hold it there a second or two.
    do this a few times but if it hurts too much,stop.well i did this gentle wrist excersize daily over 10 weeks,i think i was managing to hold the weight for just 3 mins at a time.id do this round about 10 am each morning.and this has strengthened my wrist,and im not sure what it did to my tendoms but im happy to say it made that horrible tennis elbow go away.i do still get the odd pain in my elbow now and then,but now my fingers dont scrunch up clawlike in severe pain,they are pain free.

i hope you find it works for you too,i havent had to have any surgery on my tennis elbow,so im well happy.

kind regards
    fran xx
  8. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Yes I did for years, matter of fact it was the first syntome I had of Fibro. Did the whole routine of elbow band and ice, etc.. Finally went to a nerosurgen, I've had both shoulder replacement, and neck surgery..wha la....no more tennis elbow. Xrays show it all. Better yet a MRI.
    I have deteriating disc diease, so that explained alot of it. Have both your neck and shoulder checked out.
  9. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

cortisone shots help mine , plus magnesium.
    the Dr. called mine tendenitis, said its tipical of F.M.
  10. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Got it so badly, trying to prepare to stay or evacuate from one of the hurricanes, that I couldn't lift a glass, and the arm swelled.

Believe it or not, my pain doc gave me an ointment, from a compounding pharmacy, which doesn't smell, and doesn't tingle or anything, but within days, the swelling was going down, the pain was down, and my strenth was begining to come back.

No steroids, no stomach discomfort, no stomach bleeds, no nothing.

It was fantastic.

Ask your doctor is they are aware of any of the prescription compounded formulas which can help.