Anybody have the same symptoms?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Raemon, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Raemon

Raemon New Member

Hi there!

First time on the message board and was wondering whether anybody could offer help or advice on my condition.

The history is…..after having the flu 7 months ago I did not seem to recover and have suffered the following symptoms:

 Fatigue (cannot exercise, previously played football twice weekly)
     Brain fog
     Muscle ache and twinges
     Prickly skin (like insects running over it)

I went to the doctor and have had various blood and stool tests that have come back negative.

I have also visited 3 different homeopaths and kinesiologists who say that I have ‘intestinal protozoa’. This would stand to reason as I was travelling in 3rd world countries for over a year, returning 4 months before the onset of my symptoms.
    I was abroad travelling in the 3rd world (Asia and central and south America) for 12 months prior to the illness and was ill with diarrhoea and vomiting once in each of these places. It is my view that the parasites stayed in my system and became prevalent when my body was fighting off the virus.
    I am able to work full time however my quality of life has suffered. I understand that these are classic symptoms of a CFS patient but I am determined that I have something that is treatable with therapy and isn’t simply a ‘mystery illness’ or ‘in my head’.

I was wondering if anybody had similar experiences and could recommend anything to help with diagnosis or therapy.

Many thanks

Ray
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had this for months after visiting Mexico one year. My doc gave me some antibiotics because he felt I had picked up some kind of parasite in my intestines. I was very careful, but it can happen where sanitation is not good.

Did your doc test you for Lymes Disease, Hepatitis, HIV, and autoimmune illnesses? Most docs do not do enough test to eliminate the other possibilities. Most likely, your test will come out neg. Your doc might want to test for reactivation of Herpes viruses or put you on an antiviral drug. He might also try you on antibiotics. I would go the ABX route first. Are you running a low-grade temp? If your doc is using one of those in-the-mouth thermometers, it may not show a low-grade temp as it can take 5 full minutes for those to register completely. I finally bought a good in-the-ear thermometer which is more accurate. A chronic low-grade temperature indicates a chronic infection of some kind.

Try to find a good doc who has some knowledge about FMS and CFIDS. Good luck to you. You are in the most frustrating stage, knowing you are sick, trying to get a diagnosis, and having all your tests come back normal.

Keep reading our board and learn as much about our illnesses as you can. With post-viral or post-bacterial CFIDS, it's important to get treatment as soon as possible. The longer one is sick, the longer it takes to get well. Let us know how you are doing.

Love, Mikie
  3. franners

franners New Member

Welcome... Glad you found us...
    Yeppers, have the same symptoms... Keep insisting that your doc run tests as Mikie stated..
    I haven't been using this site very long but, I am a nurse and have learnt alot from these wanderful people..
    Best wishes
    Fran