Anybody know about thyroid tests....TSH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amymb74, May 3, 2006.

1. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

At a conference I went to Dr Klimas said to get your TSH as close to 2 as possible. I looked up 3 of my past tests and they were 1.2 and 1.3 (the reference range was .35 - 5.5). Would going from 1.3 to 2 make a difference or is that about as close I'd get? Thanks. AMY
  2. sueliza

sueliza New Member

My dr believes women should stay around a 1. I definitely feel better at 1 or less.

Sue
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

a more sluggish thyroid & lower a better working one? I'm confused. Amy
  4. sueliza

sueliza New Member

but I believe if you have an underactive thyroid your TSh is high and an overactive thyroid your TSH is low.

Maybe someone with a medical understanding can explain it better :)!

Sue
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

thanks - thats what I wanted to know. Mine is ok where its at then. I was thinking closer to 2 that I might want mine higher, but, lower is better. You explained it just right. Thanks. AMY
  6. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone. Our body produces more of this when our thyroid levels are low. It kind of tells the body to make more thyroid hormone.

I believe that by American standards, above 3 is now considered outside the normal range. I don't remember the current low number.

A low number would mean a more active thyroid, and would cause symptoms such as weight loss. If you're not having symptoms then I don't see why you should be concerned.

I think most of us with FM & CFS tend to have an underactive thyroid (high TSH).
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

More and more, the old standard of TSH is GOING BY THE WAYSIDE.

Over and over again, doctors will do T4's and TSH's and say, great.

THEN, LOOK AT T3 and Reverse T3 and YOU ARE VERY, VERY LOW.

Today, I had my visit with Dr. Salvato, in Houston, who appears to be fantastic.

My TSH was okay, but my reverse T3 was only 30 and should have been 90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T3 is the active form of thyroid, the one available FOR USE BY THE BODY.

If it is low, it doesn't matter what the TSH and the T4 is, you do not have the form the body used.

Synthroid is T4, and TSH measures how much T4 is in the body. IT DOESN'T CHANGE EVEN IF THE T3 ISN'T BEING CONVERTED so the body can use it.

The truly progressive docs are going on T3's and reverse T3, and she is doubling my T3.