Anybody know where I can get

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by ajp, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi All,

How is everyone doing? I was doing pretty well until....I doubled my dose of Ketek up to 800 mg. I am herxing pretty bad with lots of pain. I haven't even been checking the board. So you know I am sick.

Anyway my DR. gave me lots of samples...all he had of the Ketek and wrote me a script. I went today and it cost $400.00 for 60 pills. YIKES!!!!! We don't have any insurance. I have checked all the sites for help and we don't qualify....only over by about $1000.00 on some.
    I even called the manufacturer and they don't have a help program for Ketek.

Help!!! Don't know what to do. I think I am going to have to call my LLMD and see what I can switch to. I hate too since I have had a pretty good response to this. But what else can I do? Any ideas? I so hate that lately my life is controlled by this disease and it can wreck us financially, physically and mentally.

I am so depressed. I think I am going to go home and think about this and maybe will feel better tomorrow and be in a better frame of mind.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hugs Mindy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

My son was taking Levaquin, was about $22/pill... in Canada it was $5/pill. There was a site that I found that compared prices from all the online pharmacies including Canadian ones, I can't remember the name of it now, but look around.

If you can reduce the cost by over 3/4 like I could've, it is worth it even adding in S&H - only downside is that it took about 4 weeks to process it.

I didn't follow thru because I was not sure he'd be able to stay on it, and sure enough, he didn't. I'd been only buying a few pills locally at a time. So, if you have any doubts about being able to tolerate Ketek or the amount of Ketek, you may want to order conservatively.

Drug reps are handing out samples of it to doctors all the time, when my son tried Ketek we got a bunch of samples to try. You might ask your doctor if s/he has any samples?

Hope this helps,
    Victoria

3. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to call my LLMD today and see what can be done. I am afraid that if I do fill it, I might have to stop, which is what happened with the Biaxin and that was about $160.00.down the drain.

I was thinking that I could cut down to 1 pill a day and the samples would last longer. I know my doctor will not want me to that probably, but I will check with him.

How is you son doing? An you? Ok I hope.

Thanks again Mindy
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

That is just awful. I haven't a clue as to where you can get the medicine. I sure wish I did. I don't know why they have to make meds so very expensive. I pray you find a way.

I made it back from my short trip to Florida to see my grandma, we took my daughter and her 3 and 1 year old little girls plus my 2 year old daughter(Paige). It was a loud and busy trip, let me tell you! Paige pinched me all the way there and all the way home! She is a real mess, haha! We left home Friday at 2 pm and were home Sunday by 10pm. We live in GA. I still have not recovered from the trip. I have had to resort to using my walking cane all week, I have hurt so bad in my back and hips. But it was worth it to see my grand mother. And we got a 5 generation picture taken. All females, hehe!

I did go yesterday to get my MRI. Now just waiting to hear from doctor. Those MRI's are so loud! Gave me a Migraine just doing it!

I do so hope you get your meds worked out!
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  5. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,

Glad you got to take your trip, sounds like you had fun. I was wondering if you went. You are so brave, kids, grandkids and Lyme disease. Wow!!! I am very close to all my family and my grandmother passed away two years ago and my mom 12 years ago. I miss them every day.

Sorry to hear about the pain though, it does come back sometimes when you least expect it. I have been herxing badly on the Ketek and talked to my LLMD yesterday and I am going to cut down to one a day...too much pain and too much price...LOL

I haven't yet decided what to do about it. I can order from Canada and it is cheaper, but......what if for some reason I have to stop it and then I've paid that much money for it. I know its a chance I should take, but not sure I will. I will tell you lately I cannot make a decision about anything!!!!

Glad to hear from you. Take care.

Your friend
    Mindy
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Is there something else similar that doesn't cost so much that your doctor can prescribe for you? I know medicine costs so dang much. I have to get prescriptions written from my FFC doctor rewritten by my regular doctor on my insurance or I could not afford them.I pray he will still do it next time. As it is it is extremely expensive just to pay the copays on all my meds. And the doctor visits. My co pay for doctor visits is $40.00, not much help there. I have had to get some of my hormones through a compounding pharmacy that costs me nearly $350 per month. Added all together my medical is so rediculous!FFC charges me $185 per visit plus supplements. My pain meds are about $200 per month my regular doctor won't touch the narcotic prescriptions. So I do pay around $800-$1000 per month to survive. And I still feel like crapola! No fair!
    So I know exactly where you are coming from about the cost of your meds!

Is your pain any better? I am starting to recover from my trip. I can walk without my cane now, haha! My headaches are still there and constant. I think the topamax is helping somewhat. It isn't quite as bad.

You get rested up this weekend and don't over do. Try to take care of yourself, you need to heal. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery!

Your friend always!
    Kellyann
  7. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

You said you checked lal the sites and you don't qualify. Did you try the Cares Foundaton?