anybody on famvir have side effects

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mome44, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mome44

mome44 New Member

Hi,
    Im taking famvir to treat my firbro and cfs for 5 weeks. Since I have taken the drug my depression and anxiety is awful. Has anybody else had this. they say it can be the die off but im not sure I can tolerate it anymore. Just curious if anybody else has had the same reaction?
    mome
  2. gb66

gb66 Active Member

The only side effect I had was to break out with a large red blotch on my leg, about the size of a lemon. It happed after the second dose and my doctor told me it was an allergic reaction and to stop taking it. It was prescried for shingles. He also said that I would be allergic to any of the antivirals, but I'm not sure if that applies to the new ones or not. GB66
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was on Famvir for about 1 1/2 yrs. The only effect was a Herx-like reaction every now and then. Have you talked to your doc?

Love, Mikie
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I am not having any side effects at all. I didn't have any depression before I started it though. I have felt a little anxiety though but I think it is when I start to flare a little, I start thinking oh, no the anti-viral isn't working but I know I haven't taken it long enough and will take my muscle relaxer and then keep my positive thoughts going on for the anti-viral to work. Dr. Dantini told me that I would still need to use my muscle relaxers for the time being so I feel better knowing that. I hope this helps mome44. P
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I have been on famvir for approx 7 months now. I have no side effects. I think also i was waiting for a recovery like a bolt of lightening but it was very suttle. The first month i didnt really notice anything, by the second month i realised i hadn't had that cfs crash(one step forward 2 steps back sort of thing) like i normally have, maybe just going through a good period. Now 7 months down the track i still havent crashed ( no backward steps) as such, have the odd day or 2 where i feel a little run down but overall feel alot better, blood tests show that my lymphocyte levels have dropped from there previous chronic high level. Im back at work fulltime and managing quite well. I would give it a good 6 months before you say it isnt helping.

good luck!
  6. mujuer

mujuer New Member

That is so encouraging to us who are on the anti-viral protocols. Thank you so much for sharing that. I did get rid of the viral sweats the second day I started taking mine and my energy has increased alot that I am afraid of overdoing it. Please, all of us on the anti-virals, keep updating. P
  7. sallybythesea

sallybythesea Member

Hi, I take Famvir on and off for chronic shingles.... I get SEVERE depression after the first dose (250mg 4x a day) so bad that all i can do is lie in bed and weep... seriously it is so bad that I can't take the meds... I'm honestly afraid I could harm myself when I take the full dose. It is the blackest depression every imagined and I cry over everything! Its so hard on my family because its NOT who I am!
    If I take 1/2 a dose twice a day it doesnt seem to affect me as badly... but one 250mg dose and I'm gone! I also get very very bad and realistic dreams when I take it.
    I told several docs about this and they just say i'm weird, one doc tho had done a study on it and said yes Famvir DOES do this! I'm looking for natural cures now... I would rather have the physical pain of the disease thatn the mental anguish of the so called medicine. I wish health and light to EVERYONE here.... I have never posted on anything before... i just wanted anyone else with this side effect to know that they are not alone!
  8. I just started Famvir after taking a break from Valcyte. Today has really been my day 1, so I'm not sure what to expect, but so far I don't feel anything except for slightly tired. I've only taken 500 mg today. I'm hoping the side effects aren't as difficult to deal with as the Valcyte side effects. If I experience any, I'll let you know!