Anybody play sports?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cbrogan6, Jan 4, 2006.

1. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

I'm curious to know that if any of you are involved in any sports, do you think it helps with the pain/fatigue, or makes it worse? I may be totally crazy, but I am hoping to start playing volleyball in a few weeks. I don't know if I can do it or not, I'm in the middle of a bad few days where my whole body aches and I am bone tired. But I want to play soooo bad. I used to play in leagues, but haven't in over a year. I am debating whether to try it. I'm hoping that being more active & doing something I love will help me improve not only physically, but mentally. But I am afraid it will make things worse. I'd appreciate any comments anyone has, especially those of you who have tried to be involved in sports. I am only 28, I am not ready to give up yet!!!!
  2. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Well I applaud you for wanting to improve physically and mentally , you are very right in saying it may help. That said may I add a "however". Now the truth is only you will know if you can do it and you will only know after you have done it. You don't know what you don't know. HOWEVER use caution volleyball is a physically demanding sport-I know from the personal experience of having been on 2 championship teams (those were the days). I would suggest a good hot shower before you begin followed by a 30 minute stretch gentle streching routine. Then perhaps try 10-15 minutes on the court,maybe as a sub for your first time out. See how you feel the NEXT day. It's very possible that endorphins will take over and you will not hurt at all during your game-wait and see and take yourself out while you still feel good. Be sure to give yourself a day or 2 between games and I would suggest be prepared for a possible flair-especially if you haven't been that active for a year. I can tell you after a few dives to the floor you may not want to play right now, if I landed on one of my hip trigger points i'd be begging someone to shoot me ( I hope you are different). It's a killer sport-really fun and fast pace I know what you mean by loving it!! If all else fails consider a compromise and be a part of the action by becomming a net referee or asst. coach to a younger girls team where you could maybe run drills for them 2-3 days a week.
    I was etremely active before the car accident and FM- any sport ,passionate long distance runner, budding tri-athlete. This FM forced me to change my "play"-took a whole year to grieve over it and still do occasionally (like when the Boston Marathon is on tv).I to refused to sit down and give it all up so I went from running to walking (power walk now) biking 3-4 hours on a racing bike to "gentle" riding for 1 hour on a beach bike and , and swimming laps in the fast lane to deep water running and streching in the pool. I admit I miss the highs and zones but each time I have tried to get more vigoriousI have payed dearly at a cost higher than was worth it. Hard to learn but I have become content with what I can do at this time. I do walk everryday 30-40 minutes.
    I say go for it and try, be willing to pay the possible price for the thrill of the moment and if it doesn't work out, well.. there are other sports to try. Best to you-let me know how you do.
    cosmoo
  3. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Good for you! Yes, I play tennis and ski whenever I can. It definitely pushes my immune system to the end, but I just stay in tune with my body and am always aware of what is going on with it during that time. Yes, go play, but just go slowly and don't get discouraged!! If you get bad muscle pain, here are some things that have helped me....
    Detox baths with "Abra Cellular Detox Bath Salts" which you can get at health food stores or online at www.abratherapeutics.com. I also used detox foot pads. These work really well cuz most muscle pain is due to cellular toxicity and these really help. I buy them online at www.essencepalace.com. She's fast and priced competitively. Just don't push too hard and you'll be fine. Let me know what happens and if I can help more.

Skierchik
  4. sdown

sdown New Member

If you feel up to it do it! When I have my good moments I go for a swim, walk, bike, etc. I went X-country skiing once since Ive been sick and once downhill skiing. I am determined to do both again one day. I like to lift weights. I have an exercise bike in the basement and the entire family likes to use it. I tried outdoor soccer a few times but it was too demanding. It was too hard on my lungs I was always out of breath. Its alot of running. When my son plays baseball Ive kept score and it keeps my brain in action. Good luck to you!
  5. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

I really appreciate all your responses, you guys have pretty much confirmed what I've been thinking....to try it but be cautious. I took my son to basketball practice at the YMCA today, and there was a volleyball game going on at the other side of the gym. I wanted to jump in! I think a big part of my problem is that I'm worried about what people are going to say, namely my family & people at work. I'm afraid that they're going to think I'm asking for trouble. They have seen me when I'm down, so they know how bad I can feel. I am just frustrated because I've finally got back to the point where I even want to do things anymore. My body just doesn't cooperate. I think I'm going to give it a shot, luckily it's a church league and not super competitive, so it's a good opportunity. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks so much for the support!!
  6. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

Was my love.... I was the shortstop from he**... diving head first into 3rd base would be the death of me now. So instead I golf. Golfing keeps me swinging a club (the beast in me I suppose) and chasing a cute little spherical shape around a field of green in order to beat to a pulp all the 60 and 70 year old ladies in our local LPGA.

Sports are very important so listen to your body and go for it...just remember you're not as young as you use to be and our fibro bodies need extra rest. So when you abuse your body be sure to pamper it afterwards.

Have fun!
  7. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

Our first game was Monday. I had so much fun. It is a church league, so we only play once a week, and we have enough people so I'm not on the floor the whole time (which once upon a time would have been annoying, but now I'm glad for the break) I have been sore & achy since, but I know part of that comes from not playing in so long. I am so happy that I did it I don't mind the pain. I think this is what I needed to pull myself back up again. I figure that I am hurting all the time anyway, so I might as well get out there and do this while I can handle it. I just hope I don't eat those words in a few weeks! Thanks again for all your replies, I took the advice of the stretching & the warm baths and I know it helped!
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

does that count...i did that from 2002-2005, two games and i won both one was a closed case then i had wont this current status pay...lol

know i can't throw can't run...i need foot surgery go to docotr tomarow and find out when...

more power to you do it while yu can! i used to play sports in school and at college not any more...i need to just get in the gym and cycle or somethig,,,

but try it and see what happens maybe yu will feel bettr

jodie
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

But I have learned that walking can be fun & relazing too.

Besides the physical end of things, I know I would have a hard time with all the activity going on around me--my brain can not function with a lot of things going on.