ANYBODY POSITIVE MEDICARE CARE PAYS LABS FROM FCC??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by QueenieWong, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. QueenieWong

    QueenieWong New Member

    Hi, I'm a lurker, I read posts alot, but don't contribute (sorry). I am seriously considering going to FCC in Las Veas, mainly for the blood work (peace of mind). I understand the $360 office visit is not covered, but from what I've seen here medicare pays 80% of lab work. I have applied and received a medicare suppl. thru United Heath Care and I'm curious if they would pick up the other 20%. I have a 3 mo. waiting period on pre existing, so I'm trying to weight out if paying 3 mo. premiums ($400) and then going would benefit me? I've paid so much $ in the last 23 years I don't know if I could handle another disappointment. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    Vicki
  2. QueenieWong

    QueenieWong New Member

    Hi there,

    Thanks for your reply. I'm just leary of what everone's said. On top of all other $ spent, I can't afford much.

    Are you a piano player? Does your user name stand for dancing fingers?

    Just curious,

    Vicki
  3. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    Vicki,

    If you go to a Medicare approved lab for the testing they should pay for it. Just make sure it's on their list. In my experience it doesn't matter if the physician ordering it is covered, just that the lab is covered.

    I usually go to a hospital lab since they have more experience handling quirky things, and ask them to combine some of the tests that need a similar preservative and handling so you don't end up getting 20 tubes of blood drawn.

    Jan
  4. QueenieWong

    QueenieWong New Member

    Hi Jan,

    I would be going to the FCC in Las Vegas and they use Quest labs which everyone says medicare will cover the lab work. I wish I could go someone in town (Az) and have the lab work done, but I don't know what kind of Dr. to go to to have him order the lab work. How were diagnoised with a genetic neuromuscular disease? I have had wide spred muscle pain from neck down to rear end for over 20 years and am basically impcompacited (spelling?. I can do nothing, not even use a broom for five minutes. It's puts me in bed for over a week.

    Thanks for you help,

    Vicki
  5. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    Vicki,

    Once you have the orders from FCC you should be able to get the labs done in your town. Most hospital labs send their bloodwork off to the Mayo Clinic and they should be covered by Medicare. I've had some really unusual tests done and had no problem getting them covered. You would just have to give the paperwork to the lab and see if they have all the requested tests in their lab menu. Does FCC want the labs done before your appointment?

    I actually have three very rare genetic diseases. The muscle disease can be traced back for generations, so it was just a matter of identifying the exact DNA mutation. One of the other diseases I inherited is called Ehlers-Danlos Type III (hypermobility syndrome) and it is strongly associated with fibromyalgia. It's basically a connective tissue and collagen disorder that allows the joints to move too freely so you get a lot of muscle pain. I had it all my life, but was only diagnosed a few months ago. The odd thing is that my sister who is 13 years older was also diagnosed the same week by her doctor.

    Jan
  6. QueenieWong

    QueenieWong New Member

    Hi Jan,

    Who diagnoised you with your disease?s. I can't seem to find a Dr. here in town who will run all the blood work tests. I guess if I go to FCC in Veas (a 6 hours drive) they will order all the tests amd then they make you come back in three weeks (another office visit charge, the first one is almost $400) to give you your results.

    Thanks for your help.

    Vicki