Anybody sell on Ebay?How difficult is it?Any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Aug 15, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I've bought a few things from ebay. Was thinking about learning to sell. Is it easy to do or do you think it's too much? I know the getting stuff together and shipping is probably difficult for us with FM or CFS but I think I can get my sister to help with that. Is it hard to post the items and all that? I ordered a set of manuels but not sure about them. So if you're doing it what can you tell me? Trying to make some extra money. How do you know how much to charge for S&H and things like that?

Thanks, Keke
  2. tinkerbellsmom

tinkerbellsmom New Member

Hi KeKe,

Yes, I have sold on ebay and I loved it when I first
    started, but I was totally terrified of starting, couldn't
    understand the directions for how to start from the instructions on ebay, asked many people to help show me, teach me how, at least help me get registered, show me how to list, answer a lot of the same questions you had, but, no luck, not even when I offered to pay them, they said oh, you can just read the instructions on ebay, follow it and that's it, but that's not so, I ran into a lot of stuff that ebay leaves out, but with God's help, finally, I just prayed and took the leap and made it, one step at a time.

I was so scared I would make a mistake, but it all went fine until later on. I had two big boo boos that happened that cost me where I shipped the wrong items to the wrong people. With the brain fog, you really need to have some help and check, and double check.

I have a lot of stuff sitting here now I need to list, need the money really bad, but have been in such a bad flare from all the stress going on in our family right now until I haven't listed in awhile.
    But I haven't given up, but I get mad at myself everyday looking at this stuff, knowing how bad i need the money and needing to list it, but not feeling like doing it and not having any help.

If your sister will help you, that would be wonderful.
    If I can help you in any way, please let me know and I will very glad to help you get started. I have helped teach others online long distance over the interenet and by email, so we can do the same, just let me know and we will find a way to connect for the help other than taking up space on this board. I can also give you some tips that will help you to attract more buyers and bidders, tips on shipping supplies, etc..

I had even thought about making some money at home by teaching others how to sell on ebay, but there again, I need the strength and energy. I seem to do worse in summer.
    Down here in the south, it is so hot and humid and I cannot take the heat, gettting out in it just to go to the doctor, sets me back in bed for several days.

I hope when this fall gets here, I can get back to listing and from now on until after the 1st of the years, actually spring, is the best months to sell during the Fall and Christmas and New Year's holidays.

Good luck if you decide to try it and just give me a holler if you want me to help and I won't mind a bit. Or if you just have a few questions, I can answer them on here if you want, like shipping, you have to put it in the box you will be shipping it in along with the bubblewrap or packing peanuts, depending on whether or not it is breakable, then weigh it, if you have baby scales, or you can buy them really cheap on ebay, or weigh them for free at the post office now they have scales right out front for you to use.

Tinkeysmom
  3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Before I went back to work, I did sell on eBay. We had moved from a large home to a small one, my in-laws had been put into a home so I had their stuff to sell, and my mother passed away and I had another house that we broke up. All at one time!

I got on the Boards on eBay and read a lot. I made mistakes with the postage in the beginning and lost money there. Plus, you need to go onto auction sites and eBay and figure what things are worth, too, and make a reserve price if they are valuable.

But, once you do it and continue to learn, you'll get to be a pro. My niece is rasing her family on from her earnings on her eBay store selling t-shirts!

One mistake I did make is listing too many items at a time and having to go to the post office with a lot of packages at once. Now, the PO will pick up.

I have a small scale now, too. I purchased an inexpensive camera on eBay, a DC3200 Kodak, that is user-friendly and takes great pictures.

Also, set yourself up with Paypal. It's easier to collect the money from people. It goes directly into your account. You can also purchase from that account.

I found it fun when I was at home. Take your time with it and enjoy. I hope this is helpful.
  4. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

I didn't find it difficult, but I didn't have as much brain fog when I started. (I relate to sitting there looking at things I ought to sell, now.)

Anyway, here's how I determine what to charge. I look at completed auctions to see what the same or similar item sold for. I also check what other people are charging for shipping. Try to allow for the Ebay fees when you set your price, but don't get too caught up in it.

I also started with small, inexpensive items to get the hang of it, before plopping the bigger stuff on there. That also enables you to gather feedback. It's good to have some feedback as a seller, not just a buyer.

My sig-O takes the larger items to FedEx for me, as it's usually cheaper. I use the post office for smaller stuff. Always use delivery confirmation. That is easy now if you use Paypal. You can just click a link and print postage, with delivery confirmation. I think you can even get the mailman to pick up the package.

In my past life, I earned a living as a photographer. I can't even pick up some of the equipment I used to lug around! I sold most of that gear on Ebay to fund the flame I've been rekindling since going on disability--music. I've taught myself to play more instruments & make recordings. So I'm glad for ole Ebay being there.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll be an old pro & will hopefully have some good results to share.

5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

hi -

At first, I found selling a little harder to set up, but once I finally got it all set up and linked with my PayPal account, etc. it's as easy as buying.

The one thing that I found that nobody told me about was that since the feedback system is technically "optional" your buyers do not have to leave it for you, which isn't very nice, but happened to me on my very first sellers transaction.

I would recommend that for payment you accept PayPal only, and that you get "PayPal Verified" as a seller (this way your buyers know that you are a legit seller with secured financial transactability through PayPal). This way you don't have to worry about bounced checks, etc.

Some people even go as far as to set up a separate "Sellers" account that is completely different than the buyers account that they have to keep their feedback from being intermingled.

I don't do that - I'm a nickel and dimer when it comes to selling - I just sell my used paperbacks a couple times a year. I do more buying than selling.

I think the shipping is pretty easy - eBay has all these automatic shipping tools. I weigh my packages on my bathroom scale (it's accurate enough) and print my labels from the US Post Office Tool they have on their website - they come and pick it up right off my doorstep.

Some people just figure out what the maximum shipping would be within the US and charge a flat rate. I use the tool integrated in my listing where the person who wins my auction puts in their zipcode and the shipping calculator does the rest - they just select the method they want based on the options you offer in your listing.

Good Luck!
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie

6. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

The brain for is too much, I shipped something that the person never paid for and didn't ship something that someone paid for, and was terribly wrong on a shipping quote for an item that I was too tired to do my research on!! I loved it and it's not hard, but unfortunately it is hard for someone with the fog!! I am not selling right now and I really need to be. I need the mone
  7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I've bought AND sold on ebay since its inception...

I was quite good at selling...Wording my listings and keeping close watch from beginning to end of auction BUT since 2004 the fog and cognitive issues have been more constant and worsening that I don't dare trust my judgment esp. where money is concerned...I make too many mistakes just in my checkbook now...

I also do alot of dyslexic type writing and when shipping, that is a HUGE problem...

I have 100% feedback still and my hubby uses my account now to buy me goodies...I love ebay!!!