Anybody Take Echinecea?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Sep 29, 2011.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I was thinking of giving my seventeen year old daughter a daily dose of echinecea for cold prevention. She is very active, between her studies, student activites, Kick team, company dancing, a part-time job and an active social life. I should add she is super organized and seems to do it all fairly well without overly stressing. She definitely knows when to stop everything and take some down time. However, she is sooo exposed to soooo many people, that she already has a head cold since school started. Since I do have asthma, my exposure to a cold can easily evolve into bronchitis and a routine of antibiotics and steroid medication that I absolutely want to avoid. I am taking vitamins and a Probiotic which I think is helping me, but I really want to prevent the source of colds coming into the house, which is usually one of my kids. Since the twins do not live here anymore, it's just one kid lol!! So any thoughts on the echinecea or other cold preventing supplements would be very much appreciated!!!

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is excellent to take when one feels something coming on, along with zinc and vitamin C. If it is used daily, it will not work when it is needed.

Love, Mikie
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I don't think this is your situation but others on the board do have sjogren's which
    is autoimmune.

I was taking ech. and really liked it. Then I read that a woman Rheumy noticed that
    every person she admitted to the hospital was taking it. Of that doesn't prove anything
    but those of us with autoimmune probs might want to stay away from it or take it sparingly.

4. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I knew about the autoimmune thing, (which I have), but was unaware of the connection with ragweed--which I am also allergic to.

Thanks for the info, Diane, as I know I will not go near Echinacea now with a ten foot pole. But then I always research the heck out of any new drug or supp that I am considering.

Paula >^.^<