Anybody tried Glucosamine & Chondroitin complex for joint pains?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Dec 1, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Seem to be having a lot of joint pain right now (knees, fingers, wrists), and I can only think it's the FM playing up. (Rheumy says not arthritis). Anybody tried the above supplements with any success?
    Thanks
    Creaking Marcus
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Seem to be having a lot of joint pain right now (knees, fingers, wrists), and I can only think it's the FM playing up. (Rheumy says not arthritis). Anybody tried the above supplements with any success?
    Thanks
    Creaking Marcus
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM because it helps with my DDD and bone spur pain in my spine, left arm and shoulder blade. I also do Physical Therapy exercises for it daily, so it's hard to say which has helped more.
    My husband takes the same thing I take for Osteoarthritis in his whole upper body due to his work. He believes it lowers his pain level, but because he still works, he has to take a prescription NSAID as well to keep going.
    My best friend's mom took Glucosamine for her RA, and went from being a couch potato to walking 3 mile daily within 2 months of starting it.
    So, there seems to be a wide range of results from it.
    Klutzo
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Marcus, I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin for pain in my fingers and knees. When the pain is gone, I stop taking it untill it starts up again!

My husband had a bone spur in his elbow, the doctor gave him shots (cartosone), it went away for about three months. Then came back worst than it was before.

He started taking the Glucosamine & Chondroitin, it took about two weeks to work, and he has not had a problem with the elbow since, thats about two years ago.

At first he thought I was 'nuts', that a supplement would help when the shots didn't last, but he is a believer now!

If you want to read a great book on Glucosamine & Chondroitin (which is where I learned about it), its; 'The Arthritis Cure' by Jason Theodosakis.

I think he has an updated version of the above book out now too. Its a great read, and easy to follow.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. SusanNH

SusanNH New Member

Hi Marcus,
    My rheumy told me about Glucosamine & Chondroitin Complex earlier this year and I basically blew her off, however, I did go and buy the product and started taking it faithfully last April. Well, I did have to admit to my doctor that she knew what she was talking about...lol. I had been experiencing major pain in my right knee, and lo and behold, I have NO pain there at all. What I have realized is that my pain overall is MUCH improved. So, armed with my own experience, I vote for Glucosamine & Chondroitin. I take it every single night before bed. I see the doctor on the 31st of this month and will ask her if I should keep taking it or stop and wait for the pain to return. I am hoping that she will say to keep taking it, to stay ahead of the pain.
    Best of luck with taking it, I hope it helps you like it did me.

SusanNH
  6. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

If your pain is from Fibro it ain't gonna work. You have to have some form of degenerative catrilage thing going on like RA or osteo arthritis. Glucosamine and chondroitin are for rebuilding the tissue that is inflammed and eroded.
    I took it for a year, and didn't get a whit of relief. I also have spondylitis and scoliosis in my back, but it didn't help. So if ou have bone rubbing on bone, it can help.